Setup & Software Discussions
2018 14" Dell Inspiron 5482 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) +...

2018 14" Dell Inspiron 5482 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [Janver Codilan]  

RSS

Janver Codilan
(@janver22)

System specs
- 2018 14" Dell Inspiron 5482 2-in-1 Convertible FHD
- Intel Core i5 8265U 1.6 to 3.9Ghz (Undervolted using Unclewebb's ThrottleStop)
- Intel UHD Graphics 620
- 16GB Hynix 2400Mhz (8x2)
- Swapped Toshiba 256GB M.2 SSD (Original) with Crucial BX100 500GB SATA SSD (Old laptop)
- Windows 10 Pro x64 1809
- Samsung 43" TV Passive 3D 1920 x 1080 60Hz (Tested only for benchmarking)

eGPU hardware
ADT-Link R43SG M.2 Key M version with 50cm cable length
- M.2 Riser with mounting thumb screw, for mounting the eGPU Adapter without abusing laptop M.2 pins
- Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Mini
- Z3-ATX 200W Micro PSU + Modded Heatsink (Defective after 2 months)
- 19v 9.5A 180W DC Adapter to drive the Micro PSU, came from MSI GT683 laptop (Not needed since MicroPSU got broke)
- Dell DA-2 Adapter

- Extra Dell Inspiron 5482 Bottom Cover, cut with rotary tool for M.2 slot
- Thin adhesive mounting strips + Aluminum tape, for M.2 slot cover mod

Hardware pictures

Laptop bottom maintenance with M.2 slot and riser for mounting of eGPU adapter cable

Extra laptop bottom cover cut with hole and custom cover for M.2 slot

Thickness of custom M.2 slot cover without the eGPU mounted

ADT-Link R43SG M.2 Key M and M.2 Riser slot

ADT-Link R43SG mounted with thumb screw in M.2 Riser slot to laptop

Thickness when eGPU is mounted in M.2 bottom slot of the laptop

Pico PSU with modified heatsink

Pico PSU connected to ADT-Link R43SG

BIOS indication that eGPU detected

My table setup without external display

My bedside table setup

External Display (TV) setup

Installation steps

1. While laptop is turned off, flip laptop facing bottom cover and open the custom M.2 slot .
  2. Remove the thumb screw of the M.2 riser, connect the ADT-Link R43SG to the M.2 riser slot, reinstall the thumb screw to ensure eGPU cable is locked in place.
  3. Close the custom M.2 slot cover with now protruding eGPU cable and flip the laptop back again.
  4. Connect the Pico ATX PSU to the ADT-Link R43SG's 24 Pin ATX slot and connect the DC Adapter to the Pico PSU. Connect the Laptop's own adapter as well.
  5. Power the laptop on and ensure that the Pico PSU's blue led is lit, ADT-Link R43SG's D1 (3V) and D2 (12V) green led are both lit and GPU fan is spinning. On external display, Dell and Windows boot loading should display.
  6. GPU should be detected in Windows as Basic Display Adapter. Install the latest Nvidia GeForce drivers for the GTX 1060 and reboot.
  7. After reboot, error code 43 will appear on Device Manager on the eGPU. Install nando4's Fix Script (and donate).
  8. Device manager should now report GPU working properly. Test with GPU-Z or CUDA-Z and ensure Bus link on high GPU load is PCI-E x16 @ 3.0 (x4).
  9. Try running benchmarks and games. On internal LCD, may need to set executable of programs to "High Performance" mode.

Benchmarks

GPU-Z and CUDA-Z

Unigine Heaven

Unigine Valley

Superposition

3DMark Timespy - Internal LCD
3DMark Timespy - External Display

3DMark Firestrike - Internal LCD
3DMark Firestrike - External Display

Some games tested (Internal LCD, FHD Resolution):
1. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, 40 - 75 FPS, High Settings
2. Yakuza Zero, 45 - 60 FPS, Ultra
3. Resident Evil 2 Remake, 43 - 60 FPS, High Settings with VSync
4. Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown, 70 to 100+ FPS, High Settings
5. Darksiders 3, 50 - 60 FPS, High Settings with VSync

Comments

I would like to thank this community, nando4 for the nvidia-error43-fixer script and others who shared their build guides with the likes of timginter and jkeychen with similar M.2 builds that I got some ideas.

I have been following for a couple of years now but this is only the first time I am sharing my successful setup. I learned a lot from this experience and it was a risk at first because I purchased this laptop at sale price of 550 USD in eBay from a Dell reseller (free shipping) as brand new and +40 USD for shipping (forwarder) it here in my country the Philippines. For some of you living in the states may wonder why I bought from a US seller instead of a local shop here in our country, the reason is that prices of imported laptops here sold in our country are marked up at almost double their US price! A similar spec laptop to mine sold locally costs about 60K PHP (~1K USD as of date), that's even without a TB3 port, dual slot ddr4 or a 32Gbps M.2 slot. This laptop I would say was really a good deal for me!

Before this I have been using an MSI GT683 which I upgraded its dGPU MXM from a GTX560M to a GTX770M and a Toshiba T731 convertible with an expresscard 2.0 4Gbps slot. I bought and tried EXP GDC and PE4C before, then a Seasonic ATX PSU and GTX 1060 I am still using now for this build. Performance was less of what can be expected for a 1060 since it has less bandwidth so I keep settings of games to low and play on an external display.

Why I chose this laptop is a result of my research and looking at reviews for a potential eGPU compatible laptop I always wanted that is a convertible tablet, quad core 8th gen, dual channel RAM slots and a 3.0 x4 M.2 slot. TB3 laptop convertibles was my first option, but I felt that the whole setup would be out of my budget of about 800 - 1000 USD, most have soldered RAM and the TB3 docks are quite expensive for me. Before really shelling out for this laptop, I tried last to look for a similar convertible tablet to this one with at least another extra M.2 slot so I can use a faster NVME SSD instead of the SATA SSD I already have, but to no avail, so here we are now. I'm still happy!

Initially I was also using the Seasonic ATX PSU which worked really well paired with the ADT-Link, but figured that it might be too heavy when carrying on vacation trips. The Micro PSU I found seemed to be a solution and I can reuse existing laptop adapters. Upon testing it further by playing games for a prolonged period, I experienced the PSU turning off and discovered that it was very hot. Looking at experiences of other people using this, the solution was to add a heatsink to its IC chips. After cutting a custom heatsink from old PC parts and using some thermal pads I had lying around from back when I upgraded my MSI laptop's MXM GPU, I tested by running a GPU mining tool like NiceHash for about 8 hours and it's finally stable. Finished RE2 remake including 2nd run and didn't experience PSU troubles no more! MicroPSU broke after about 2 months, replaced power supply with a Dell DA-2 adapter instead.

Lastly, here are some things I plan to improve further on this project:
1. Build a case for my adapter and GPU enclosure, or look for a protective and portable case for the setup.
2. Upgrading the GPU, but may need to consider changing power supply as well if higher than 180W requirement.
3. If budget still allows, perhaps a high refresh rate monitor with GSync/Freesync.

Thanks!

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

2012 12.1" Fujitsu Lifebook T731 + GTX 1060 6GB Zotac [email protected] (PE4C 3.0) + Win10 (Retired)

2012 15.6" MSI GT683 GTX 770M (original GTX 560M) w/ EC Slot mod (from GX660) + GTX 1060 6GB Zotac [email protected] (PE4C 3.0) + Win10 (Retired, dGPU failing)

2018 "14 Dell Inspiron 5482 2-in-1 + GTX 1060 6GB Zotac [email protected] (ADT R43SG) + Win10 (Current)

odin, itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@janver22 , brilliant use of the M.2 extender, aluminium tape and velco.  Planning the same.

Thank you for sharing this excellent implementation guide 🙂

ADT-Link R43SG M.2 Key M and M.2 Riser slot

This post was modified 2 months ago

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
(@mustafa_hammody)

i have lenovo ideapad 700  core i7 6700hq ram 16gb gtx 950m  iwant to buy  egpu kit what dock do i need and can i buy gtx 1060 6gb and can i run it on internal lcd for the information i can disable dgpu from bios pls help

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote