2018 14" Huawei Mat...

Share:

2018 14" Huawei Matebook X Pro MX150 + [email protected] (Zotac AMP Box) + Win10 [noxo]  

RSS

noxo
 noxo
(@noxo)
January 11, 2019 5:50 pm  

System specs

Huawei Matebook Pro

• 13.9" screen
  • 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8550U processor
  • Nvidia GeForce MX150 with 2GB GDDR5
  • Windows 10
  • 16 GB LPDDR3 2133 MHz

eGPU hardware

Hardware pictures 

egpu3
egpu1
DSCF8021
egpu2

Installation steps 

Plug and play

Benchmarks

Unigine Superposition (4k external, 1080 internal, 1080 external):

4k external
1080 internal
1080p external

Cuda-Z: (GTX1080, MX150)

CudaZ
mx150cudaz

Unigine Valley: (1080 Ultra/No AA: internal, external)

InternalValley
ExternalValley

3DMark Time Spy: (external)

TimeSpyExternal
TimeSpyExternal2

Comments 

I was looking replacement for Aorus Gaming Box, which PSU did blow up (but GPU was still working), and ended up buying this one. It is slightly smaller than Razer Core X which I initially thought of buying, it's also shorter and cheaper than Razer Core V2 which was also one of my candidates.

It's able to keep Matebook Pro battery level at 100%, so I guess it can delivery at least 60 watts over the TB3 cable. PSU has fan, but it does not make any noise, so box is nice and quiet unlike the Aorus Gaming Box.

The box can house max card length of 228mm and I'm considering trying out 2070 RTX series, e.g ZOTAC GeForce GAMING RTX 2070 Mini or MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8GB Ventus should fit well in box.

Performance vice beats the build-in MX150 x 5-20 times depending on GPU use case (CUDA calculation/ rendering)

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Matebook X Pro + MX150 + GTX 1080 + Zotac AMP Box

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
noxo
 noxo
(@noxo)
January 11, 2019 6:11 pm  

Yeah, this is a rare one - I couldn't also find that much information about the box, except couple of  Youtube videos  🙂 I bought it from Amazon.de  https://www.amazon.de/Zotac-AMP-Box-Thunderbolt-External-schwarz-grau/dp/B079QLVWRD/. 400eur with shipping.

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 11, 2019 8:23 pm  

Very nice build! I did not realize how compact the AMP Box is. Would you be able to provide additional details on the power supply?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Estimable Member
January 11, 2019 9:34 pm  

Wunderschön!! 😀 How about cpu thermal? Is there any improvement with or without AMP box? It’ll be great if you can run 3Dmark like firestrike or timespy if you have it, sorry I’m a gamer :mrgreen:

Razer Blade 15 2018, i7 8750H 16gb ddr4 2666mhz 1tb 970Evo
Razer Blade Stealth 12,5 2016 i7 7500U 8gb ddr3 1866mhz 500gb 970Evo
MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 i5 3210M 12gb ddr3 1600mhz 500GB HDD
Razer Core V2 rtx 2070 Black 2040mhz Boost clock
Previous setting: rtx 2080ti Asus Turbo, rtx 2080 xc gaming, rtx 2080 Fe, Zotac Mini 1080ti, Evga 1080 FTW2 gaming.
Dual Monitor Predator XB241YU 165Hz 1440p, LG l24UD58 60Hz 4K
Portable Monitor Magedok 1440p HDR 60Hz usbA/C monitor

ReplyQuote
noxo
 noxo
(@noxo)
January 12, 2019 4:34 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

Very nice build! I did not realize how compact the AMP Box is. Would you be able to provide additional details on the power supply?

Box has internal power supply, basis on product id (251-09100-7800F) it's build by Zotac. There is no mention of PD in specs, but I guess it's at least 60 watts. PSU has one ~90mm fan, interestingly facing downwards under the box.

• 450W power supply
  • Up to 250W (2 x 8-pin PCI-E power cable)

http://hkftp.zotac.com/External/ExternalBox/AMP-BOX/Brochure/AMP_BOX_Brochure.pdf
https://imgur.com/a/KHCvGtS

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Eminent Member
January 18, 2019 8:20 pm  

That 2-lane TB3 port is seriously gimping those internal display benchmarks. It's really a shame they couldn't have used 2-lane for the MX150 and gave 4-lane to the TB3 port. (Samsung did this with their Notebook 9 15" with the MX150).

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition
Build Link

ReplyQuote
noxo
(@noxo)
January 20, 2019 3:03 pm  
Posted by: odin

That 2-lane TB3 port is seriously gimping those internal display benchmarks. It's really a shame they couldn't have used 2-lane for the MX150 and gave 4-lane to the TB3 port. (Samsung did this with their Notebook 9 15" with the MX150).

Yeah, but it's not big issue for me, since I usually do gaming using external displays; projector and VR headset... so far this setup has been more than sufficient for my use.

Samsung Notebook 9 looks nice, but I really like Huawei's choice of 3:2 aspect ratio and spacious MS precision touch pad.. I have had several (MSI) gaming laptops, but they all come with crappy ELAN touch pad, and then the wider 16:9 screen is not super good for productivity tasks. Huawei finally got almost everything right.. as all purpose ultrabook  😉 

ReplyQuote
(@jensen_wang)
January 21, 2019 5:32 am  

Hey hi!
I have a similar build with razer core X + zotac rtx 2080 amp extreme and I am wondering if you experience sudden freezes in idling mode? 
I had some freezes recently like laptop completely freezes and only can be forced shutdown.

Matebook X Pro i7-8550U + Zotac RTX 2080 AMP EXTREME + Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
noxo
 noxo
(@noxo)
January 21, 2019 10:15 am  
Posted by: Jensen Wang

Hey hi!
I have a similar build with razer core X + zotac rtx 2080 amp extreme and I am wondering if you experience sudden freezes in idling mode? 
I had some freezes recently like laptop completely freezes and only can be forced shutdown.

I can't recall issues with idling.. I have such a short cable to eGPU so I usually right away unplug after the usage, so I have it idling rarely..  🙂 Does it occur by the time that computer goes to power saving state and starts shutting down the display or when? 

I remember having lots of trouble with Aorus Gaming Box when it was plugged in.. I ended up having black screen and unresponsive computer and had to force power down the computer. But with this box, even the plugging in the box works surprisingly smoothly. It could be the box itself, or maybe I had the NVidia drivers updated at some point.

Have you tried disabling MX150 from device manager, I remember reading about it  and trying that with Aorus Gaming Box issues?

Would be nice get some benchmarks of your setup, I've been daydreaming of RTX cards a bit  🙂

ReplyQuote
noxo
 noxo
(@noxo)
January 21, 2019 11:04 am  
Posted by: Joikansai

Wunderschön!! 😀 How about cpu thermal? Is there any improvement with or without AMP box? It’ll be great if you can run 3Dmark like firestrike or timespy if you have it, sorry I’m a gamer :mrgreen:

Does 3DMark benchmark differ a lot from what Unigine does? I've done quite a bit of CPU+GPU intensive flight sim gaming (AeroFly2 wth Ultra detail) with VR, and CPU usage is around 50% and GPU 75-100%.. giving frames quite steadily at rate of 90 FPS to headset.. so I think the setup performs pretty well with heavy gaming..

ReplyQuote
(@jensen_wang)
January 21, 2019 2:13 pm  
Posted by: noxo

Hey hi!

I can't recall issues with idling.. I have such a short cable to eGPU so I usually right away unplug after the usage, so I have it idling rarely..  🙂 Does it occur by the time that computer goes to power saving state and starts shutting down the display or when? 

I remember having lots of trouble with Aorus Gaming Box when it was plugged in.. I ended up having black screen and unresponsive computer and had to force power down the computer. But with this box, even the plugging in the box works surprisingly smoothly. It could be the box itself, or maybe I had the NVidia drivers updated at some point.

Have you tried disabling MX150 from device manager, I remember reading about it  and trying that with Aorus Gaming Box issues?

Would be nice get some benchmarks of your setup, I've been daydreaming of RTX cards a bit  🙂

Thanks for replying! By idle mode, I meant not gaming or under any heavy usage. I use an external display and sometimes the entire display will just freeze at a frame and everything becomes unresponsive. My laptop on the hand just shows a black screen and nothing I could do besides pressing the power button. Hmm and I did disable the MX150.

I will do some benchmark and post here maybe! Other than this problem I am enjoying it. There is some bottlenecking with the i7-8550U but I can get 40ish fps in 4k with almost all games at high-ultra.

ReplyQuote
noxo
 noxo
(@noxo)
January 21, 2019 5:23 pm  

Thanks for replying! By idle mode, I meant not gaming or under any heavy usage. I use an external display and sometimes the entire display will just freeze at a frame and everything becomes unresponsive. My laptop on the hand just shows a black screen and nothing I could do besides pressing the power button. Hmm and I did disable the MX150.

I will do some benchmark and post here maybe! Other than this problem I am enjoying it. There is some bottlenecking with the i7-8550U but I can get 40ish fps in 4k with almost all games at high-ultra.

Strange, it could be anything..  I would recommend try running Matebook manager and check at least that all the drivers & BIOS are up to date.. have you checked Windows Event logs, usually there's something that points to malfunctioning thing/driver?

ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Estimable Member
January 21, 2019 7:42 pm  

Does 3DMark benchmark differ a lot from what Unigine does? I've done quite a bit of CPU+GPU intensive flight sim gaming (AeroFly2 wth Ultra detail) with VR, and CPU usage is around 50% and GPU 75-100%.. giving frames quite steadily at rate of 90 FPS to headset.. so I think the setup performs pretty well with heavy gaming..

Unigine mostly measure gpu performance and may be vary due resolution and other setting in benchmark,  3Dmark measure both physical (cpu) and graphics (gpu) performance you can see bottleneck on egpu setting or cpu throttling better on this.

Razer Blade 15 2018, i7 8750H 16gb ddr4 2666mhz 1tb 970Evo
Razer Blade Stealth 12,5 2016 i7 7500U 8gb ddr3 1866mhz 500gb 970Evo
MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 i5 3210M 12gb ddr3 1600mhz 500GB HDD
Razer Core V2 rtx 2070 Black 2040mhz Boost clock
Previous setting: rtx 2080ti Asus Turbo, rtx 2080 xc gaming, rtx 2080 Fe, Zotac Mini 1080ti, Evga 1080 FTW2 gaming.
Dual Monitor Predator XB241YU 165Hz 1440p, LG l24UD58 60Hz 4K
Portable Monitor Magedok 1440p HDR 60Hz usbA/C monitor

ReplyQuote
(@jensen_wang)
January 22, 2019 5:10 pm  

Strange, it could be anything..  I would recommend try running Matebook manager and check at least that all the drivers & BIOS are up to date.. have you checked Windows Event logs, usually there's something that points to malfunctioning thing/driver?

I just updated my windows to 1809 and seems like the freezes have stopped for now. Anyways I did some benchmarks on superposition and got 7973 for 4k and 10867 for 1080p high, both on external monitor

ReplyQuote
noxo
 noxo
(@noxo)
January 22, 2019 7:53 pm  

I just updated my windows to 1809 and seems like the freezes have stopped for now. Anyways I did some benchmarks on superposition and got 7973 for 4k and 10867 for 1080p high, both on external monitor

Good that you got it working with Windows update.. I'm still on v1803 of Windows 10.

Interesting numbers on 1080P,  1080GTX vs 2080RTX results are almost identical.. the thunderbolt connection becomes bottleneck and just can't deliver data faster rate on 1080P resolution... I think on desktop 2080RTX should give ~17000 on 1080P. Because of eGPU setup, -40% is lost vs desktop setup on 1080P. With eGPU 1080GTX the drop seems to be reported here in forums -30% for 1080P resolution. Maybe somebody can  correct my numberings, if they don't seem accurate 🙂 

4K then looks a lot better, 2080RTX being ~20% faster than 1080GTX as it should.

ReplyQuote
noxo
 noxo
(@noxo)
January 23, 2019 6:01 pm  

Unigine mostly measure gpu performance and may be vary due resolution and other setting in benchmark,  3Dmark measure both physical (cpu) and graphics (gpu) performance you can see bottleneck on egpu setting or cpu throttling better on this.

Added the 3Dmark results. I didn't notice the Matebook CPU fan starting to spin any faster, while it was running the benchmark..  🙂 Maybe with something longer running would cause eventually throttling down of CPU- because of thermals.

So, of course, it's theoretically possible, that game can put load on CPU so much that it starts affecting the communication with eGPU.. I'm just not sure, if it's valid use case, as most of heavy calculations can be offloaded to the GPU nowadays (e.g using PhysX and Cuda).

ReplyQuote
noxo
 noxo
(@noxo)
May 4, 2019 3:25 pm  

Small Update
I recently "upgraded" to RTX 2070 Gaming Box.. as I wanted to try out some new stuff in Turing GPUs and
also this box is more petite.

Graphics benchmarks are close to GTX 1080 as expected. There's a huge 1,5x (vs Pascal cards) leap in CUDA Integer calculation performance (IOPs) as in Turing architecture it can go parallel with Float calculations. Floats are a bit down than 1080, I guess it's because 2070 has less CUDA cores.

cudaz 2070rtx
1080p high external 2070rtx

Also dreaming a bit of Matebook Pro 2019 as it should have 4x lanes now.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote