Setup & Software Discussions
2018 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T480s [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1650 @16Gbps-TB3 (AKITiO Node Li...

2018 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T480s [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1650 @16Gbps-TB3 (AKITiO Node Lite) + Win10 [spud_egpu]  

RSS

Spud_egpu
(@spud_egpu)

System specs

Lenovo T480s, 14" 1920x1080 LCD, Intel i7-8650U,  1.9 GHz base, 2.11 GHz boost,  OEM Toshiba SSD 500G 

eGPU hardware

Akitio Node Lite, MSI GTX 1650 Ventus XS OC 4G, Rear vent only exhaust taping with Aluminum tape from HomeDepot,  Removal of Node Lite fan, 120W external PS ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ6JN2J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: GPU in Node Lite runs cooler if taped for rear exhaust only and Node Lite Fan is removed as reported elsewhere.  I found a ~5C lower operating temperature post OC with taping and fan removal.  Under FurMark load testing,  Stock configured ~80C , as Taped and Fan removed, ~75C, Taped with Fan ~82C.  Was this due to sig. more airflow as std fan is very close to MSI 1650 fan case?

Hardware pictures 

https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/mailboxes/@.id==VjN-nwkpme3paqUFws8mN1MX_N4mQTiStLPvdzHXo2rONa6Dz--_lbHxEN9xQM0BVDYZOstHGQ2SvOzuBlPC52QM-g/messages/@.id==APGPgxV4vw3wXZZgGwpoEL_xgS4/content/parts/@.id==2/thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

Note: Carefully taped with aluminum heating tape! Some insulation on a few surface components near back bottom at card connector.  Alum. dots on fans are butyl rubber roofing patch tape.  It seemed to damp some of the remaining fan HF noise.

Installation steps 

MSI GTX 1650 XS Ventus OC 4G card fits into std stock Node Lite. GPU runs cooler if taped for external 'exhaust only' and Node Lite Fan is removed. Node Lite itself is way over designed and could have 1-3 lbs removed by cutting away unused steel GPU holder sheet metal weight. I was too lazy to do this. (steel really? should be plastic)

Decided on Amazon sold 120W PS with 5.5x2.5mm barrel connector (link above).  This meets the 10A max current spec of the Node Lite barrel connector.

Benchmarks 

Benchmark: Passmark 9.0 results on internal LCD, 2D graphics mark 709.3, 3D graphics mark 4567.3

https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/mailboxes/@.id==VjN-nwkpme3paqUFws8mN1MX_N4mQTiStLPvdzHXo2rONa6Dz--_lbHxEN9xQM0BVDYZOstHGQ2SvOzuBlPC52QM-g/messages/@.id==AK7ltdAHW8c-XZZeXAhYuOEK2KU/content/parts/@.id==2/thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

Thanks for all the info on eGPU.io.  In ~2 years truly portable eGPU's should be std products at reasonable prices, but while they are not this site is very helpful.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@spud_egpu, thank you for your build.

The hardware picture is not showing for public users.  Pls kindly relink or attach it to your post so it can be seen.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Spud_egpu
(@spud_egpu)

@nando4

I should soon get to enough posts to "qualify" for uploading attachments soon...  I had just cut and pasted an image to original build submission.  

Thanks for this site!!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote