2018 14" Thinkpad T480s UHD 620 + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10 [jazzyy]  

RSS

jazzyy
(@jazzyy)
Eminent Member
July 24, 2018 12:02 am  

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)
Lenovo Thinkpad T480s
2560x1440 WQHD
Intel UHD Graphics 620 (6.31GB)
LENOVO 20L7CTO1WW
8th Gen 15W i5-8250U 4 core 8 thread, 1.8GHz, 3.4GHz Turbo
16GB DDR4 2400MHz
512GB m.2 PCIe AHCI 2280 mzhpv512hdgl
BIOS N22ET46W (1.23)
Rift CV1 2x Sensors and Rift CV1 HMD
Logitech Triathlon M720 Bluetooth
Lenovo USB Keyboard

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)
Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (with stock Thunderbolt 3 cable)
LEDs did not work. Haven't bothered to ship back for a fix. Maybe they work, but also don't function on my MBP. So not really sure.
USB ports also do not work very well

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)
Please read fully before proceeding:

NOTE: You must use the Thunderbolt 3 port that is NOT the power port. The one marked with the lightning bolt. Power delivery will still work in this port!

1. Install Windows 10 any version
2. Fully update OS
3. Go to Control Panel\System and Security\System -> Advanced system settings -> Hardware tab -> Device Installation Settings -> "No" -> save changes. Windows will auto update thunderbolt firmware which prevents H2D flashing of device to fix host 2 device throttle
4. Download nvidia drivers
5. Download Thunderbolt Bus Driver for Windows 10 version 16.2.55.275 from downloadcenter.intel.com
6. Download Firmware -> F1.0 H2D fix from https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXEB-8GD#support-dl
7. Plug Aorus Gaming Box 1070 in. It is hot pluggable. If it doesn't detect in Device Manager, try restarting laptop with device plugged in.
8. Install nvidia drivers
9. Restart laptop
10. Apply AORUS_N1070IXEB_8GD_VER10H2D.bin using FwUpdateTool.exe - it's a self explanatory FW updater. Just make sure you select Gigabyte device. You must use the 16.2.55.275 thunderbolt driver because the newer version doesn't work.
11. Reboot once update is complete
12. Install newest version of Thunderbolt Bus Driver from Intel ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27719/NUCs-Thunderbolt-Bus-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kits-NUC8i7HNK-and-NUC8i7HVK currently)
13. You should be good to go. You can re-enable driver device updating from earlier steps if you want, but do not recommend because microsoft auto updates for drivers is terrible.

If you encounter USB issues:
1. Go to Device manager
2. Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers"
3. You will see two Intel Host controllers:
Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controll - 1.0 (Microsoft)
Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controll - 1.10 (Microsoft)
4. I disabled the 3.1 edition and i quit receiving USB errors. You may want to ensure you disable the correct one. Only do this if you're having USB issues please.

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 eGPU bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, etc noting if it's on internal/external LCD )

All benches ran on external screen 1080p 75Hz
CudaZ

Geekbench4:
CPU i5-8250U:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/9141606
GPU OpenCL UHD Graphics 620:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/2665588
GPU OpenCL GTX 1070:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/2665591

Cinebench R15
CPU Multicore: 648cb
CPU Singlecore: 145cb
GPU OpenGL 1070: 107.90fps

Unigine Valley (Preset Extreme):

Unigine Valley (Preset ExtremeHD):

Unigine Heaven (Preset Extreme):

Unigine Heaven (Preset Custom):

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming?)

Good laptop. Much smaller than my P50 but it does get a bit hotter than it ever did. Surprisingly even though there's only 2x PCIe lanes, it still benches really well compared to my P50 which apparently had x4 lanes.

I think the laptop gets quite a bit hotter since the form factor. I will probably repaste sometime in the next month.

Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3 to TB2 adapter) + Win10
2016 15" Thinkpad P50 M1000M + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10
2018 14" Thinkpad T480s + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10 [jazzyy]

T430up liked
ReplyQuote
(@tim_tan)
July 24, 2018 3:26 am  

Impressive. 

For the direct differences from p50(4x PCIe lanes ) to t480s(2x PCIe lanes),  the cuda-z tells the host-to-device and device-to-host memory transferring are much slower, while the device-to-device is almost the same and so do the float/int calculation.

It makes perfect sense to me, since the bandwidth  is the major difference. For the later test, it is simply the combination of these operations and the on-device calculation takes a big portion of the final score. 

The test also indicates the CPU on t480s is sufficient for the external gpu, at least for the tests your run. 

Good new for me who ordered a t480s a week ago.
Thank you for the test! 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jazzyy
(@jazzyy)
Eminent Member
July 25, 2018 1:55 am  
Posted by: Tim Tan

Impressive. 

For the direct differences from p50(4x PCIe lanes ) to t480s(2x PCIe lanes),  the cuda-z tells the host-to-device and device-to-host memory transferring are much slower, while the device-to-device is almost the same and so do the float/int calculation.

It makes perfect sense to me, since the bandwidth  is the major difference. For the later test, it is simply the combination of these operations and the on-device calculation takes a big portion of the final score. 

The test also indicates the CPU on t480s is sufficient for the external gpu, at least for the tests your run. 

Good new for me who ordered a t480s a week ago.
Thank you for the test! 

Yup. I think this definitely lines up with another thread on these forums about how the x2 pcie lane when going to an external monitor is barely going to impact you. I have no doubt that trying to go to my internal monitor will prove to be much worse. I may try this, but the P50 is pretty much decomm'd as I pulled the SSD from it and when I put it into the T480s it wiped the old drivers and installed the new ones from Windows Update. Don't really want to go through that two more times.

I also agree the T480s is sufficient for the gaming I do. I actually completely disabled turboboost so the CPU can only hit 1.6GHz on all cores. Surprisingly I massively reduced my heat, and I can still play my favorite game, Eleven: Table Tennis VR, perfectly fine at 90FPS. I will be repasting the CPU sometime next week once I get my paste.

Some more info for you since you might be curious- thermal cap after I applied latest BIOS was 97c. After it hits that, cores stick at around 2.7~2.9GHz after about 20 seconds of benching. Meanwhile stressing the CPU with turbo disabled left the CPU at around upper 60's. Interestingly, when Turbo is disabled, you're looking at a 9W pull from the CPU. Enabled, it's sitting at around 30W. The cinebench r15 multicore was about 332cb. Very efficient by Intel, IMO.

Are you getting the T480s with the MX150? I would like to hear about how it goes for you in regards to thermals. I've heard the T480s chassis and heatsink/cpu cooler is the same on both models, so getting it without the T480s gives you a slight boost in thermals.

Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3 to TB2 adapter) + Win10

ReplyQuote
(@tim_tan)
July 25, 2018 4:27 am  

Thank you for the information. 

Yes, I ordered the T480s with MX150. UPS is the carrier so you know it's still on the way.

I also own a W540, a heavy workstation with a bad reputation on its heating. So I guess I will be  pretty tolerant about the upcoming T480s. But I'll let you know how it feels when it's arrived. 

Beside, have you try the eGPU under a Linux system? Since I'm more interested in the computation with GPU (the cuda stuff) rather than gaming, it would be real helpful to work with the external GPU under a Linux environment.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jazzyy
(@jazzyy)
Eminent Member
July 26, 2018 12:41 am  
Posted by: Tim Tan

Thank you for the information. 

Yes, I ordered the T480s with MX150. UPS is the carrier so you know it's still on the way.

I also own a W540, a heavy workstation with a bad reputation on its heating. So I guess I will be  pretty tolerant about the upcoming T480s. But I'll let you know how it feels when it's arrived. 

Beside, have you try the eGPU under a Linux system? Since I'm more interested in the computation with GPU (the cuda stuff) rather than gaming, it would be real helpful to work with the external GPU under a Linux environment.

No Linux on my side unfortunately. I'm a bit stressed on space as it is with my 512GB SSD. May try it sometime after September (traveling and need to be stable) when I reinstall Windows for a cleaner install.

ReplyQuote
jazzyy
(@jazzyy)
Eminent Member
December 7, 2018 9:22 am  

I ended up trying Ubuntu 18.04 and 18.10 and it seems to work fine but hotplugging does not seem to be supported and the drivers are a pain, but it does work. I tried Arch Linux (archlabs variant) and it also worked fine. There was a lot of setup and this was a month ago so I don't feel like documenting but just wanted to share it does seem to work and it gets better the newer the kernel.

I actually haven't used the T480s much and went back to my P50, mostly because of the weaker cpu on the t480s and the x2 lanes instead of x4

ReplyQuote