2018 15" Macbook Pro (Vega20) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1660 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications

2018 15" Macbook Pro (Vega20) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1660 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [Proto42]  

RSS

Proto42
(@proto42)

A very preliminary feedback. I will add details in the coming days.

System specs

2018 MBPro TouchBar with i9, 32 GB, 1 TB SSD and Vega 20.

System uses 27" QHD display, HDMI input connected to the Mac through the Multiport AV dongle, and DPort connected to the GeForce eGPU.

Goal

The goal was to add a little bit of gaming under BootCamp, not to use eGPU for MacOS, so the choice of an NVidia GPU.

The MBPro with Vega 20 can indeed provide some gaming, but not enough for a comfortable experience. Not to speak of the fan noise (and I doubt the thermal paste will last long).

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Razer Core X with the supplied TB3 Cable.

EVGA GeForce 1660 Ti.

Nothing custom.

Hardware pictures

Later.

Installation steps

Installed the GPU in the eGPU.

Hot plug after Windows Boot (TB3 ports near the screen, left or right).

Drivers installed automatically by Windows (last version of Windows).

It simply works without EFI or uninstalling the dGPU.

Benchmarks

Using Heaven in 1080p, 8xAA, Ultra Q, Extreme Tessel.

Vega20 internal screen: 937

eGPU internal screen: 1.644

eGPU external screen: 1.728

In other words, now can get 60fps on almost any game at 1080p ultra, and some at 1440p high.

Comments

Not totally silent, but low noise (low pitch, so much better than using the MBPro alone). Gaming is better (no more CPU / GPU throttling) but it's not that night and day (benchmarks are not the real life). A more beefy GPU would help (see below).

About setup and Everything seems smooth and easy, but it's far from perfect:

• plug before boot does not work at all
  • in some cases, the eGPU will not be recognized 5 minutes after hot plug
  • Multiport AV and eGPU seem incompatible: even if disconnecting the Multiport AV before connecting the eGPU, then the eGPU will be in error
  • when there is such an error, the eGPU has to be connected to the other side of the MacBookPro (which is weird)
  • drivers automatically installed are stable, but upgrading with the NVidia drivers did put the eGPU in error (had to uninstall and reinstall the Studio ones)

I wanted to add a TB3 dock and a longer cable for the eGPU to put it away (less noise), but I fear the TB3 dock will not work along with the eGPU (same as the Multiport AV).

I also wanted to upgrade to a RTX 2070 Super (the 1660Ti was a bargain to start with), but stability remains an issue, so investing more is still a question mark.

This topic was modified 3 days ago

2018 15" Macbook Pro i9 / Vega 20 + Razer Core X + GTX 1660 Ti + External QHD display + Win10

itsage liked
ReplyQuote