2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Sta...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [OliverB] // Radeon VII vs GTX 1080 Ti  

of  2
  RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

This is a cracking post Oliver, great to see the Vega VII tested fully. 
I just bought an RX 560 for a mini eGPU linked to my tv, holy cow performance is crap!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

This is a cracking post Oliver, great to see the Vega VII tested fully. 
I just bought an RX 560 for a mini eGPU linked to my tv, holy cow performance is crap!

A RX560 together with a Akitio Node Light it makes a fine, very good looking eGPU.  I was long time thinking of buying such one. I would like to have it paired with a WX5100, which is a little bit stronger than the RX560 and has 8 GB.

But it's not for high-end-gaming of course. It's more a good fine device to run an high resolution external monitor for workload, office and such stuff.  I hope, you are not too unhappy :/

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

For additional information: I found two strong 75-Watt GPUs:

- nVidia Quadro P2000 (GP106)
-nVidia Tesla P4 (GP104)

Of course, both are very expensive, the latter one can only accelerate internal display and both are Non-Mojave fit.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Aye little disappointed but I’m only planning on playing casual games while I wait for Navi. Will be doing a build post soon. Only prob is the switching of cards somehow killed my windows instal! Took about 4 hours getting it all reinstalled from scratch last night. Argh. Windows...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Yeah, that's why a system image backup on a NMVe SSD is so important. My windows becomes corrupted on regular basis, but it takes me 02:30 min to restore.

Navi will hopefully be the 75 Watt Miracle.

ReplyQuote
DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Trusted Member

Posted by: Kelvin Tan

@mac_editor thank you! If it works I’m gonna just hoard the high Sierra installer USB like crazy haha. Will try tmr, much appreciated mate!

Edit: It works! Downloading the packaged files right now. Thanks!

Edit2: no-go, the building of the image fails on my MBP2018 (2.6/32GB/1TB/560X) as it's not compatible. Looks like we are out of luck on the 2018 MBPs to revert to High Sierra.

I successfully reverted my Mojave upgrade back down to High Sierra. You just have to use internet recovery as most, if not all installers will fail since Mojave is a more "updated" OS (LOL!). As your Macbook Pro is booting up, hold SHIFT + OPTION + R to start the internet recovery. Since you're still downloading from Apple, it may take awhile depending on your internet connections. Also, since you're drinking from the Apple well, so to speak, I'm not sure how much longer they will make High Sierra available.

Note: Internet recovery supposedly only restores your machine to its original OS. If it came with Mojave, you may be out of luck. 

reference: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

MBP 2018 15 inch + 2X Aorus gaming box 1080 in BootCamp and MacOS 10.13.6
2011 13-inch MacBook Pro + Razer Core X@10Gbps-TB1 (Zotac RTX 2080 Ti Amp) + Ubuntu 18.04

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@dregpu,
what is your setup exactly?

ReplyQuote
DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Trusted Member

I'm not sure what you mean. 

I have a mid-2018 MacBook Pro 15" with 2.2 GHz i7 (6-core), 32GB RAM,  and 4TB SSD. I use 2x Aorus gaming boxes 1080 with it, mainly under High Sierra with the nVidia webdrivers (and CUDA, cuDNN, Pytorch, torchvision, etc). I did get both 1080 gaming boxes working in Windows 10 on the Bootcamp partition, but trying to get libraries installed were troublesome. 

I also have a old underpowered Dell XPS 13 with an i3 and 4GB of RAM with the Gaming box 2070 attached. I'll probably move the 2070 to an even older 2011 13" MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM, via the TB1/2 to TB3 adapter which runs Linux. Everything runs much, much smoother and easily in Linux. MacOS has weird, hidden files everywhere like .DS_store you have to either tell your code to ignore or keep deleting it over and over again. 

Happy to elaborate more, if needed.

2011 13-inch MacBook Pro + Razer Core X@10Gbps-TB1 (Zotac RTX 2080 Ti Amp) + Ubuntu 18.04

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@dregu
I mean that you a very interesting "case". Two GTX1080 Gaming Boxes, how do they behave in MacOSX? I could never get to run two nVidia eGPUs in MacOSX. Perhaps two Kepler's can do it, but two Pascals?!

ReplyQuote
DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Trusted Member

Posted by: OliverB

@dregu
I mean that you a very interesting "case". Two GTX1080 Gaming Boxes, how do they behave in MacOSX? I could never get to run two nVidia eGPUs in MacOSX. Perhaps two Kepler's can do it, but two Pascals?!

Yes, the trick is to make sure you're running High Sierra (10.13) with the nvidia webdrivers. You CANNOT do this Mojave (10.14)!!! I'll try to run some benchmarks on Monday or Tuesday and post them here and on my build guide.  Let me know if there are any specific benchmarks you'd like to see, and I'll try to accommodate.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: DrEGPU

@dregu

Yes, the trick is to make sure you're running High Sierra (10.13) with the nvidia webdrivers. You CANNOT do this Mojave (10.14)!!! I'll try to run some benchmarks on Monday or Tuesday and post them here and on my build guide.  Let me know if there are any specific benchmarks you'd like to see, and I'll try to accommodate.

@dregu
I am well aware of the fact that you cannot run Pascal or Maxwell nVidia cards. But how did you get to run two (!) nVidia cards in High Sierra? I couldn't do it...
Do you have screenshot of "System -> GraphicsDisplay" with both nVidia cards?

This post was modified 11 months ago

ReplyQuote
DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Trusted Member

@dregu

@dregu
I am well aware of the fact that you cannot run Pascal or Maxwell nVidia cards. But how did you get to run two (!) nVidia cards in High Sierra? I couldn't do it...

https://imgur.com/a/eNKHKvd

Here you go. I'll reboot back into MacOS tomorrow or maybe Tuesday and get a screengrab of the system display. Doing some work in Win10 right now (non-eGPU related).

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Here you go. I'll reboot back into MacOS tomorrow or maybe Tuesday and get a screengrab of the system display. Doing some work in Win10 right now (non-eGPU related).

Most interesting. This is what I got when trying to add a second nVidia eGPU to my system: "Nvidia Chip Model". It only happened to the second nVidia eGPU as the first nVidia card (here GTX 780 Ti) and all AMD cards work correctly.

nVidiaChipModel

perhaps is has to be two identical nVidia cards?!

ReplyQuote
DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Trusted Member

Most interesting. This is what I got when trying to add a second nVidia eGPU to my system: "Nvidia Chip Model". It only happened to the second nVidia eGPU as the first nVidia card (here GTX 780 Ti) and all AMD cards work correctly.

nVidiaChipModel

perhaps is has to be two identical nVidia cards?!

Perhaps. There isn't a way for me to test that unfortunately. The only non-1080 card I have is a 2070, which won't work under any version of MacOS, I believe.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Gareth Rees

..I'd take an RVII any day over an RTX 2080 or a 1080 Ti, and I've had a 1080 Ti at 2.14Ghz, which is extremely rare.

@gareth_rees
is that so? Could you please answer in this thread why you would take an RVII any day over a GTX 1080 Ti? Thank you very much.

ReplyQuote
(@gareth_rees)
Eminent Member

..I'd take an RVII any day over an RTX 2080 or a 1080 Ti, and I've had a 1080 Ti at 2.14Ghz, which is extremely rare.

@gareth_rees
is that so? Could you please answer in this thread why you would take an RVII any day over a GTX 1080 Ti? Thank you very much.

Based on your benchmarks and the warning that you have fps drops I wouldn't, but something is up here. Deus Ex: MD should go to the RVII but it loses badly. Did you run it in DX12 for the R7 and DX11 for the 1080 Ti?  Also AMD has poor driver overhead when dealing with DX11, it requires lots of CPU single thread. I'd expect it to always lose unless it's an AMD title.

I'd take the RVII due to it being a compute/gaming card, and with the hope that it would run at 2.1Ghz/1.2Ghz overclocked, whereas NAVI won't be as strong in compute but it might match it or an overclocked V64 in games, and the fact that I have a 4K FreeSync monitor.

Dell Latitude 5491 14" BIOS 1.8.1 | Core i7 8850H + liquid metal - https://valid.x86.fr/z6xi8n | 32GB DDR4 2400 | Samsung 512GB PM981 AS SSD 4600 score | | MX130 + liquid metal | Logitech Z-2300 | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Corsair K70 Rapdifire | HP Omen Accelerator 700W PSU + STRIX Vega 56 8GB HBM2

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@gareth_rees

Based on your benchmarks and the warning that you have fps drops I wouldn't, but something is up here. Deus Ex: MD should go to the RVII but it loses badly. Did you run it in DX12 for the R7 and DX11 for the 1080 Ti? 

@gareth_rees
I always used the exact same settings for RVII and GTX1080Ti (DX12). Because I had two eGPU enclosures I could literally go from one benchmark to the other without changing anything.

Actually, yes, Deus Ex: MD was one of the biggest disappointments with Radeon VII and I retested it several times for both cards. It was still the same result.
Another disappointment was Shadow of the Tomb Raider.
Another disappointment was 4k and 5k gaming. It's not that the 16GB RAM would show a massive improvement for those resolutions, which I had expected.

I'd take the RVII due to it being a compute/gaming card, and with the hope that it would run at 2.1Ghz/1.2Ghz overclocked, whereas NAVI won't be as strong in compute but it might match it or an overclocked V64 in games, and the fact that I have a 4K FreeSync monitor.

I have to admit in all this comparison, that the EVG GTX1080Ti SC2 is overclocked ("superclocked") and performing surely better than most GTX1080Ti.
To be fair I tried some overclocking the RadeonVII and failed miserably. I do not have a lot of experience in overclocking, though. In the end it's fair to compare the cards as they come in factory settings.

I have a FreeSync monitor, as well, and this was a good reason to got for AMD, but nVidia now supports FreeSync monitors as well and it's works very well.

ReplyQuote
DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Trusted Member

@dregu

@dregu

Here are some screenshots and benchmarks. For the very briefest of moments, The 2070 powered my 2 external monitors for the MacOS login screen before going dark. I attached the System--> thunderbolt screenshot, which is the last image. I ran some machine-learning benchmarks using plaidML. I ran the example code at the bottom but changed range(10) to range(100). 

https://github.com/plaidml/plaidml

I couldn't find a good multi-gpu benchmark, but I found mgbench which does some tests. The results are all log files, which are contained in the zip file. Since there's no SLI, the DMA tests couldn't be performed (I assume!). 

https://github.com/tbennun/mgbench/

I apologize for the formatting of this post. I'm still learning how to use/navigate this site!

Valley
same side
opposite side
Heaven
benchmarks
2070 MacOS
2070 MacOS

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@dregpu
this is most amazing, thank you for your contribution.

@itsage
how can this be explained? It was common sense that is not possible to run more than one nVidia eGPU in HighSierra. It's because they are equal?

ReplyQuote
DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Trusted Member

@dregpu
this is most amazing, thank you for your contribution.

@itsage
how can this be explained? It was common sense that is not possible to run more than one nVidia eGPU in HighSierra. It's because they are equal?

You're welcome! Unigine benchmarks used the 1080 on TB controller 0, confirmed by watching the GPU history using activity monitor. Same for GeekBench. Confirmed mgbench was using both 1080's the same way. The other thing I forgot to mention was that only 1 eGPU had a monitor attached. Weirdly, the LED/RGB lights activate on the eGPU that isn't hooked up to a monitor!

I wasn't aware there was a single eGPU limit High Sierra. I thought I remembered someone determining the limit was 3 or 4 (I forget exactly). That said, I don't know about using 2 different GPU's in the eGPU enclosures. I don't currently have a good way to test this, unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

I wasn't aware there was a single eGPU limit High Sierra. I thought I remembered someone determining the limit was 3 or 4 (I forget exactly). That said, I don't know about using 2 different GPU's in the eGPU enclosures. I don't currently have a good way to test this, unfortunately.

@dregpu
There is no such thing as a "single eGPU" limit in High Sierra. The limit is actually 4 eGPUs (I personally could use 3 AMD eGPU at once without any effort), but it cannot be more than 2 nVidia cards. At least this is my experience. nVidia cards are not officially supported in MacOSX so this may be a problem with the "hacks" enabling it. I never had two exact cards at one time, so this may be a key to workaround this problem.

ReplyQuote
DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Trusted Member

@dregpu
There is no such thing as a "single eGPU" limit in High Sierra. The limit is actually 4 eGPUs (I personally could use 3 AMD eGPU at once without any effort), but it cannot be more than 2 nVidia cards. At least this is my experience. nVidia cards are not officially supported in MacOSX so this may be a problem with the "hacks" enabling it. I never had two exact cards at one time, so this may be a key to workaround this problem.

Ah, I see. Well, I'm loathe to get another 1080 when there are more powerful GPU's out there. Maybe Apple and nVidia will figure something out and we can use the RTX lines in MacOS one day. One can dream...

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

I succeeded with two different Nvidia eGPUs:

2011/2012 Mac mini was able to use up to 3 Nvidia eGPUs (4-5 years ago).

But... I haven't tested multiple Nvidia eGPUs for a long time.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@goalque
something is very different to now:
Your "disconnect icon" containing nVidia eGPU. Everytime I enable nVidia eGPUs this "disconnect icon" perishes. Even when I pair one nVidia card with a couple of AMD cards, no icon. Reason for it is the enabling of nVidia eGPUs. I remember that @mac_editor told me that it was removed deliberately because "disconnect" won't work with nVidia cards.
I tried several times with two nVidia cards. The Second nVidia card would always fail into "NVIDIA chip model".

eGPUSymbol

I would be great if multiple nVidia cards were supported (again)?

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@oliverb
I do have a hack that keeps the icon active (not released) but it has no use because disconnect will result in kernel panic.

"The Second nVidia card would always fail into "NVIDIA chip model".
-> I had them in a single eGPU enclosure, maybe that makes the difference.

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Ah, I see. Well, I'm loathe to get another 1080 when there are more powerful GPU's out there. Maybe Apple and nVidia will figure something out and we can use the RTX lines in MacOS one day. One can dream...

@dregpu
I am not that optimistic about this.
And even when it's supported by nVidia Webdrivers: I like to brag about my fantastic EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, but when it comes to MacOSX, it's hardly better than a Vega56, rather "Okaaay" than "Great". So even when RTX series will be supported one day, we don't know the quality of the support.

Posted by: goalque

@oliverb
I do have a hack that keeps the icon active (not released) but it has no use because disconnect will result in kernel panic.

@goalque
Haha, I thought you have.

I would really prefer having the icon, because unplugging/switching off the eGPU results in kernel panic anyway.

Further, if you mix AMD and nVidia eGPU (actually one of my standard configurations) you lose the ability to disconnect the AMD eGPU when the icon is removed. (except for command line of course..?) And you can see very quickly, if and which eGPUs has been connected.

If I may make a suggestion, the best solution would be:

1) Let the icon exist if only one eGPU (no matter what) is connected
2) "Disable" nVidia eGPUs in the Dropdown, show them, too, but they are not selectable.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@oliverb
Easier said than done. I am not the right developer for doing this. It's Apple's duty.

Keeping a backup plan is better idea if the current workaround stops working.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Hello community,
are there any other benchmarks about Radeon VII in eGPU setups? Please keep us updated! Thank you very much.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Dear community again,
are there any news about Radeon VII? Any nice benchmarks and comparisons?

Thank you very much.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@oliverb I got the Radeon VII again to test before they run out of stock. To my surprise, the sleep issue was not present when paired with the Netstor HL23T-PLus. I then checked the vBIOS version thinking it might be something newer. Unfortunately it’s still the same second version released on Feb 11th. When I installed the card into the Razer Core, sleep issue was present. That led me to think it might have to do with Power Delivery. 15W PD or less may possibly have no sleep issue but 40W PD or or may have it.

I terms of performance, I don’t see much changes in macOS Catalina Beta 5 and Windows 10 with latest 19.7.5. This is not a good value card for gaming. The RX 5700 XT can almost match it. The Radeon VII is a very strong compute card however. Perhaps that’s the reason Apple use it for the new Mac Pro.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@itsage
Thank you very much for the update.
When I tested the Radeon VII with the Asus XG Station Pro I didn't notice any sleep issues. But, on the other hand, I mainly tested the card in Bootcamp, so I am not sure if it went sleep in MacOSX at all. At this time this issue wasn't known.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Hello dear community,

some time has passed since my tests with the Radeon VII and time proved my tests correct. Actually the RX 5700 XT Anniversary Edition surpasses the Radeon VII, and both lack clearly behind the GTX 1080 Ti in most benchmarks.

So how did it come that it was said the Radeon VII was equal to GTX 1080 Ti? It looks like some clever marketing trick. This trick failed. It's a pity for a good looking card with a lot of potential. Next time, people should listen when some independent person do some tests.

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

@oliverb I'm quite happy with my VII, it is giving me more performance than my previous Vega 64. I'm still using it with my Mac Mini 2018 and it's performing good with the games I play in Boot camp, like AC Odyssey, Forzá Horizon 4 and many others. In Mac it works pretty good as well except for the sleeping bug that makes a lot of noise (haven't tested sleep again), so for me it was a good buy, I bought my old V64 used for a pretty crazy price and sold it for more, and I only had to put 300 more for the VII brand new and AMD gave me the 3 triple A games for free and the amd fan store discount. But if Mac os was compatible with Nvidia cards I would have go that way. 

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@juan_c_yunis
Of course it's a still a very good card. I never denied it and I really liked it. It's just that (in my opinion) it doesn't justify the hype. I am not critiquing the card, I have problems with the marketing strategies. If you need a pwoerful card for both MacOSX and Windows, of course it's the best choice by far.

ReplyQuote
 of  2