2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Stat...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 [OliverB]  

of  2
  RSS

Whitesnake
(@whitesnake)

Posted by: OliverB

@whitesnake, thank you! This is very helpful. Can you tell, if this is possible with every modern gpu like Vega or
Geforce 1080/2080? I am still deciding which one to keep.
Thank you again!

I think that depends on the connections of the graphics card. It the graphics card can trigger external fans, than it should work with the Asus XG Station Pro (because their two fans are normal fans). The motherboard of the Asus XG Station Pro does‘t alert if you unplug the fans from its motherboard.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Test1
(@test1)
Eminent Member

@oliverb Hi! How's the benchmarks coming along? Really curious. I just ordered a Vega 56 Pulse and Razer Core X for my late 2016 15" MBP (Touch Bar). I would be really interested to see how the performance between the two Macmodels hold up with the same Vega 56 Pulse (except my enclosure is a Razer). Have you flashed the 64 bios onto it? And do you like the performance on macOS?

Kind regards
Test1

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Test1

@oliverb Hi! How's the benchmarks coming along? Really curious. I just ordered a Vega 56 Pulse and Razer Core X for my late 2016 15" MBP (Touch Bar). I would be really interested to see how the performance between the two Macmodels hold up with the same Vega 56 Pulse (except my enclosure is a Razer). Have you flashed the 64 bios onto it? And do you like the performance on macOS?

Kind regards
Test1

@Test1, I do not have the card anymore. I didn't flash the Bios and was quite happy with the performance on MacOSX. On Windows the performance was ok, but not overwhelming, so I returned it and kept my GTX1080Ti.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
garyion
(@garyion)

Hi, @oliverb
huge thanks for all this info - very useful,

I have

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) - If it makes since to upgrade this I will

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7,    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

On MAC OS - I want to run Unreals - twinmotion to create 3D Visualizations from Archicad 22
I have installed twinmotion on Mojave and it chugs along..

I am a total newbie to the graphics card area - 
Would all of the following cards below work with your spec above?
What would be a good set up?
Are there different brands of the AMD card that are Mac Friendly?

thanks
Garyion

•  

ReplyQuote
 of  2