Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RP WX 9100 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X...

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RP WX 9100 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.13.6 [FirstAscent]  

RSS

FirstAscent
(@firstascent)

Laptop specs 

• 2018 15" MacBook Pro
  • Intel Core i9 
  • 32GB RAM
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630 iGPU
  • AMD Radeon Pro 560X dGPU - 4GB
  • 1TB SSD
  • macOS 10.13.6
  • External Monitor 1: Asus PA329Q (4K@60)
  • External Monitor 2: LG 27UD88-W (4K@60)

eGPU hardware 

• Razer Core X
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 - 16GB
  • Nekteck active TB3 cable - 6ft, supports 100W charging

Hardware pictures 

• (I'll upload some pics later)

Installation steps 

Everything was super smooth and easy actually:

1. Install GPU into Core X
  2. Connect Displayport cables (user supplied) to monitors
  3. Power on Core X
  4. Connect Core X to laptop via TB3 cable
  5. Everything worked immediately, no additional drivers etc needed
  6. Works perfect in clamshell mode as well

Benchmarks 

I witnessed with my own eyes that graphics rendering is much faster and smoother now =) Need to run some real benchmarks still

Comments 

First off I should mention this is mainly for photography/video editing (Lightroom, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro X) with some other design software as well. I don't do any gaming so can't comment on it from that perspective. Originally I wanted to get this working with the Nvidia Quadro P5000 but it seems the workaround solutions don't currently support the 2018 MBP's. But that's OK because I'm sure this WX 9100 will do an excellent job!

Anyways, I'm super excited about this build and making edits is much quicker and smoother. All my software automatically selected the use of the AMD card in its settings for use and I haven't experienced any issues yet. Everything including "installed" perfectly. There was actually no driver installation that I witnessed but maybe that is normal. I just switched back to macOS from Win so have some research to do on how to further edit the graphics config.

wx9100
wx9100 2
wx9100 3

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The readings on the monitor resolutions are off. I noticed things behavior in 10.14 Beta too. WX 9100 is currently the best AMD card for macOS.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
FirstAscent
(@firstascent)

Posted by: itsage

The readings on the monitor resolutions are off. I noticed things behavior in 10.14 Beta too. WX 9100 is currently the best AMD card for macOS.

I noticed that as well on the resolution, I wonder if that will be fixed in the final release of 10.14. and Agreed, the WX 9100 does seem like an excellent/best solution for macOS at the moment!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Vater5bxd
(@vater5bxd)

Just threw a 9100 into a Razor X to use with my 2018 MBP and the 5k LG monitor that Apple sells with USB C connection.  I show the card as recognized on my MBP, similar to above, but my minidisplay port out on the 9100 isnt driving my USB C, LG 5k monitor with a dongle adaptor of minidisplay port to USB-C...Any ideas?

ReplyQuote
Curtis Shideler (curtneedsaride)
(@curtis_shideler_curtneedsaride)

Before Christmas, I used the Razer Core X and Radeon Pro WX 9100 for one project. After the holiday break, I tried using it again, and the MacBook Pro (2018) shows that the Razer Core X is connected, but the MBP is not seeing the GPU. And the GPU is not powering my external monitor. Nothing has changed since my last project. However, the Radeon Pro WX 9100 gets really hot despite doing nothing. So, I'm wondering if it is defective or if needs more cooling. Really, I'm at a loss, and will have to have our IT department handle it if I can't figure it out. Any ideas??

ReplyQuote