Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" Dell XPS 15 9570 (GTX1050Ti) [8th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS ...

2018 15" Dell XPS 15 9570 (GTX1050Ti) [8th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [RimsOnAToaster]  

RSS

RimsOnAToaster
(@rimsonatoaster)
Eminent Member

Sorry for not posting this guide sooner! It's been such a hectic, stressful few months with the holidays and personal affairs getting in my way every time I sat down. Thankfully, I'm currently relaxing on a beach in Florida with absolutely no responsibilities for the next few hours, so I'm taking the time to put my work out there for the rest of y'all to evaluate and engage with. I have some questions to go with my answers, so please feel free to chime in!

System specs 

• Dell XPS 15 9570 (hereon referred to as '9570') USA BASE MODEL
  • 1080p matte display
  • Intel i5-8300H @ 2.30 GHz stock (no undervolting yet)
  • 16 GB (2x8 GB) RAM @ 2666 MHz & CL18 (Corsair Vengeance upgrade kit)
    • purchased with 8 GB (2x4 GB) RAM @ 2666 MHz  & CL 19 from factory
  • 256 GB NVMe SSD
    • $100 upgrade option
  • Intel UHD 630 iGPU, no dGPU

The USA base model is the only configuration of the XPS 15 I have found which comes without any dedicated graphics, and indeed it may be the only SKU available on the market with an H-class mobile processor and no companion dGPU. It was this combo of specs, combined with Dell's above-average customer service, that led me to purchase this notebook. My thought process was that the 45W, i7-7700HQ-beating i5-8300H would provide the compute power I needed for the more CPU intensive tasks I throw at my laptops than a U-class mobile processor found in the much more appealing XPS 13 9370, and the lack of a dGPU would save battery life, improve cooling, and allow better performance from my GTX 1070 eGPU.

eGPU hardware

Hardware pictures

Coming Soon! I gotta find them on my network drive back at the house.

Installation steps

As mentioned in roadie's guide, this system was delightfully plug-and-play with Windows 10. I installed Gigabyte's App Center, Aorus Engine and RGB Fusion tools for more granular control of the video card and its light strip, and Corsair's iCUE in order to add system monitoring.

Benchmarks

So somehow I managed to not include either  CUDA-Z or AIDA64 in the benchmark I did upon first getting the system roaring. I did, however, run TimeSpy, Cinebench R15, GPU-Z and CPU-Z. I also have a heaven benchmark saved somewhere; when I find it I will add it in.

All benchmarks were performed on a 1440p monitor (A Dell P2416D) over an HDMI connection.

cuda z2
cuda z1
Screenshot 2019 01 31 Unigine benchmark results

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)
to be honest, I'm a bit curious about what's going on with this system. While I was researching options for my next laptop, I ran into an article on Ultrabook Review suggesting that the Alpine Ridge board is the cause of less-than-expected performance. I opted for this base model expecting that the actual problem was either BIOS optimizations or the dGPU present in the reviewer's model, but I found the same performance shortfalls. I'd love it if some investigative work could take place so we can get to the bottom of what's going on, because this is otherwise a delightful laptop and eGPU host!

This topic was modified 10 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage and mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@rimsonatoaster Good to see your build! Also great choice on iGPU-only for your XPS 9570. I’m testing an i7 configuration atm and the GTX 1050 Ti dGPU is fully disabled. @nando4 and I are working on an article revealing some potential thermal issues that effect eGPU performance with Intel 8th gen H-CPU laptops. The XPS 9570 is one of them unfortunately. The good news is a fix may not be that hard yet rewarding for eGPU users.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
RimsOnAToaster
(@rimsonatoaster)
Eminent Member

@itsage What a timely article topic! Could you use an i5-8300H laptop for benchmarking? I'd love to lend this one to you and/or @nando4 if it could help. I wouldn't be put out - these days I have basically everything but my OS-specific files and apps synced between the 9570 and my 2014 rMBP 13".

This post was modified 10 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@rimsonatoaster Thank you for the offer. I’m testing the XPS 9570 i7 configuration and that should provide enough data.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote