2018 15" Dell XPS 15 9570 (GTX1050Ti) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASU...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" Dell XPS 15 9570 (GTX1050Ti) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [itsage]  

of  3
  RSS

Am0ny
(@am0ny)

Hello @itsage, @nando4,

Thanks for this valuable info. I'm a Dell XPS 15 9570 and Razer Core V2 owner for ~1 year.

I have noticed the performance throttling as well in Unigine benchmarks. I just ordered some 3mm thick cooling pads to improve heat dissipation. I hope it works. I will post my findings here when I get down to testing !

I had resigned myself to accepting the performance loss (~25% is huge !), but such a simple solution got my hopes up ! 😀 

Am0ny

Am0ny - Dell XPS 15 9570 + Razer Core V2 + AMD Vega 56

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
gimbo89
(@gimbo89)

Hello @itsage, @nando4,

I have a trouble with my EGPU setup (XPS 9570 + ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 + Geforce GTX 1650 Super).

It seems that my EGPU is throttled at half speed, as shown in CUDA-Z:

Thunderbolt link is reported as PCIe v3.0 x4.

Below, multiple screens from hwinfo64 and gpu-z:

Could you help me identify the problem?

Unfortunately, I can't get other gpus or thunderbolt devices for further tests.

Thank you in advance.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@gimbo89, check your TB3 cable has a "3" imprint on the connector end to indicate it's a 40Gbps cable. Your CUDA-Z results look like it is a 20Gbps TB3 cable as per https://egpu.io/forums/builds/acer-aspire-v17-nitro-black-editionakitio-nodegtx1070-win-10/#tb3-cables

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
gimbo89
(@gimbo89)

@nando4

I have got a new brand TB4 cable ( http://shop.caldigit.com/us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=211), but unfortunately the situation has not changed.

Any ideas? Thank you.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
gimbo89
(@gimbo89)

Update: I tested another cable (2 meter active from Cable Matters), but again no difference.

Then I tried with a Linux distro (Fedora 34) and Linux version of CUDA-Z and I got same results.

Instead, I get this from boltctl command:

[Please login to see this]

Note the rx and tx speeds:

20 Gb/s = 1 lanes * 20 Gb/s

This is really strange. Searching online I only found for thunderbolt connections speeds like 40 Gb/s = 2 lanes * 20 Gb/s or 20 Gb/s = 2 lanes * 10 Gb/s.

PCI connection is correctly reported as x4 link by lspci.

Do you have any clues? Thank you.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin
Builds: 155

@gimbo89, Sorry to see you're still struggling with the capped bandwidth issue. Have you tried different BIOS for the laptop? I wonder if the Active State Power Management affect the PCI Express total throughput. I recall experiencing something similar where my x4 PCIe 3.0 over Thunderbolt 3 was capped. I tried changing ASPM to DISABLED and all was well.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @gimbo89

Update: I tested another cable (2 meter active from Cable Matters), but again no difference.

Then I tried with a Linux distro (Fedora 34) and Linux version of CUDA-Z and I got same results.

Instead, I get this from boltctl command:

[Please login to see this]

Note the rx and tx speeds:

20 Gb/s = 1 lanes * 20 Gb/s

This is really strange. Searching online I only found for thunderbolt connections speeds like 40 Gb/s = 2 lanes * 20 Gb/s or 20 Gb/s = 2 lanes * 10 Gb/s.

PCI connection is correctly reported as x4 link by lspci.

Do you have any clues? Thank you.

20 x1 means bad cable, bad port, or bad driver. Do you have anything that works at 20 x2 ?

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Radeon Pro W5700, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
gimbo89
(@gimbo89)

@joevt

I tried connecting a Orico G40 Nvme TB3 Enclosure, but I still get 20 Gb/s = 1 lanes * 20 Gb/s 🙁

Any ideas before declaring my XPS defective?

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@gimbo89, if both the Orico and ADT and multiple cables show 20 x1 then doesn't that mean your Thunderbolt port of the laptop is broken? Basically, you need to see something like 2500 MB/s from NVMe (CrystalDiskMark) or GPU (CUDA-Z) to prove it's working properly. Too bad the XPS 15 9570 only has one Thunderbolt port.

You've tried multiple Thunderbolt 3 devices and multiple Thunderbolt 3/4 cables. You haven't tried multiple laptops yet.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Radeon Pro W5700, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
 of  3