2018 15" Dell XPS 9575 2-in-1 Vega M GL + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + Windows 10 [waha]  

RSS

waha
 waha
(@waha)
September 22, 2018 11:14 am  

Been running this Dell XPS setup for a bit over a month now so I figured it'd be time to post about it, especially as there's only one other build with the 9575 here. Was a bit unlucky with my first 9575 as it fried itself about 10 minutes after the initial Windows setup. Dell support couldn't figure out why so they offered to replace the entire system which took some extra time as the shipping from China is really slow.

System specs

• Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 (9575)
  • Core i7-8705G with Radeon Vega M GL graphics (4GB HBM2)
  • 16GB DDR4 Ram
  • 512GB SSD (Samsung 970 Pro)
  • 4K screen
  • Windows 10 Professional

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X, ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti, Beling 2M TB3 40Gbps cable.

Installation

Had no issues with installation or having connect the TB3 cable multiple times, been working 100% since day one. With the latest NVidia drivers (The ones supporting the new RTX) I was able to upgrade the drivers without uninstalling the old ones first which is a nice improvement.

Benchmarks

CUDA-Z

Unigine Heaven + Valley

Timespy (Default profile + OC profile)

Comments

Been really happy with this setup so far. Performance is great, especially when the 1080Ti is switched into its OC profile. I had personally preferred to get the FHD version of the 9575 but in Europe Dell doesn't offer that one with anything but 8GB ram. So what I've been doing is to run the 4K display at FHD and I've gotten quite used to it, sure it isn't super sharp but it's actually quite pleasant to the eyes, and the FPS in various games is a lot more stable which is my main goal.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
sylvester711
(@sylvester711)
September 25, 2018 1:52 pm  

That’s so great to hear. Thanks for your comments. Just one quick question though. Do you use power delivery or have to plug in the AC adapter at the same time? There's another post that mentioned power drain when using power delivery only but that was months ago.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
waha
 waha
(@waha)
September 26, 2018 2:40 pm  

Windows will complain about the PD not being enough (60w with my cable) but in reality it works fine as the Vega isn't used when I have the eGPU enabled. So it will still charge (albeit slowly).

ReplyQuote