Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" HP ZBook 15 G5 (Q P1000) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gami...

2018 15" HP ZBook 15 G5 (Q P1000) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [switch]  

RSS

switch
(@switch)
Trusted Member

So after running for 3 years with a 3rd gen Zbook, I upgraded the laptop to a 5th gen ZBook with Quadro P1000. It was a one-shot offer and the dGPU was literally free.

The 5th gen Zbook is pretty similar to my previous 3rd gen. It now has a 6core/12thread H-rated i7-8850 CPU. There are three major differences for eGPU enthusiats: it has a Titan Ridge TB3 controller, it (shouldat least partially) be chargeable via USB-C and it supports DP 1.4 (as opposed to 1.3 on previous gen). The tb3 controller with two external ports still has a PCIe x4 to the PCH and by default supports the full 40gbps communication speeds (unlike other laptops). 

I'm reusing my little ol' Aorus Gaming Box with the stock GeForce 1070 Mini OC, which has worked perfectly with my old Zbook.

The setup is pretty straightforward:

1. make sure you have the proper drivers (from HP) for both TB3 controller and video (intel+nvidia); the info below assumes you don't have any external display available;
  2. connect the eGPU to a power socket then to the ZBook via USB-C;
  3. authorize the TB3 connection in TB3 software (assumin default BIOS settings)
  4. your eGPU will likely NOT work at this point (you'll get Error -43)
  5. reboot the laptop while keeping the Aorus attached
  6. still won't work at this point; install latest drivers from nvidia without any cleanup in advance (this LACK of cleanup is important);
  7. reboot once again and enjoy a fully functional eGPU setup; the laptop WILL revert to using the dGPU if and only if the eGPU is not attached; it may also be assigned manually to PhysiX processing during games;

The only issue is that the laptop will NOT charge from the Aorus. I don't know why nor can I troubleshoot. It's extremely difficult to figure out what's wrong when all you can do is connect or disconenct a cable and look at a LED.

Here's the link to my previous build using the 3rd gen Zbook: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2016-15-hp-zbook-15-g3-xeon-e3-1545m-iris-pro-p580-no-dgpu-aorus-gaming-box-gtx-1070-itx-tb3-win10pro-switch/

Here's the GPU-Z output:

gpuz

This topic was modified 5 months ago

2016 15" HP ZBook 15 G3 (Xeon E3-1545M, Iris Pro p580, no dGPU) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro
2018 15" HP ZBook 15 G5 (i7-8850H, HD630, Quadro P1000) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
wei lu
(@wei_lu)

I think the Gaming box does not really provide 100W power. So it can't charge the HP notebook.

Aorus Gaming Box & RTX 2060

ReplyQuote
GreatB
(@greatb)

Hi @switch thank you for your post.

I was wondering if you have come across this thread by @itsage detailing the fact that most 8th gen H laptops do not have cooling on the PCH chip, which has resulted in users getting underwhelming eGPU performance due to thermal throttling of the transfer rate through the chipset. Comments pertaining to ZBooks can be found at the end of the thread - it seems ZBooks are lacking PCH cooling.

As an owner of the ZBook Studio G5 8750H, and looking to buy the Aorus Gaming Box 1070, I am wondering whether you have noticed similar issues as am now skeptical.

- Are you seeing high PCH temperatures (70+ C) in use?

- What is your system's gaming performance like with the eGPU?

- Would you happen to know if the Zbook studio has a PCH chip with cooling? I cannot seem to find much info/internals images of this laptop model online.

- Assuming it is not cooled, do you reckon it would be a waste to purchase a 1070 eGPU and instead settle for the P1000 dGPU?

UPDATE: Found a disassembly video but not sure if it is being cooled.

Thank you.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@greatb,  the HP Zbook 15 G5 Studio has an uncooled PCH that sits under a heatpipe. Just sandwich a small thermal pad in there so they connect and then the PCH is cooled.

The HP Zbook 15 G5 has three M.2 slots and the HP Zbook 15 G5 Studio has two M.2 slots. If wanting an eGPU for gaming you might consider using the M.2 slot instead for best performance and lower cost. Consider the performance differences:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-15-dell-xps-9570-gtx-1050ti-gtx-1080ti32gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro-win10-1809-itsage/#post-67008

If obtain a ADT-Link R43SG and Jeyi LEIDIAN then can have either a M.2 or TB3 eGPU.

This post was modified 1 month ago

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
GreatB
(@greatb)

@nando4 thank you for this info, this is really appreciated - as I am new to the eGPU scene and have never modified a laptop, would you mind please elaborating on the following questions?:

1) Am I correct to assume that connecting the eGPU via an M.2 slot improves performance because it does not suffer for the TB3 throughput bottlenecking?

2) Does a PCIe to M.2 adaptor like the ADT-Link R43SG have any throughput bottlenecks of its own, or is it effectively the same as connecting the GPU to  a theoretical PCIe port on the laptop?

3) To take advantage of the M.2 performance improvement over typical TB3 solutions (e.g. Aorus Gaming Box), as you showed here, would I not need to have the bottom cover of my laptop permanently removed, so as to access the free M.2 slot of the motherboard for the ADR-Link to connect to? If so, this would restrict my laptop's portability.

4) You mentioned the Jeyi LEIDIAN, which seems to be a M.2 to TB3 converter. If I understand correctly, I would be slotting the ADT-Link R43SG cable into the LEIDIAN (keeping the LEIDIAN's cover permanently off so as to access the slot) and then connecting the LEIDIAN to the laptop via TB3. Does this not incur the same TB3 bottlenecks as an Aorus Gaming Box (seems to effectively be the same thing, albeit much cheaper).

Thank you again for helping a new eGPU member get up to speed!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

1. Thunderbolt is a lower bandwidth interface to M.2. Some games/apps reflect a significant performance degradation as a result.

2. It’s a direct PCIe interface.

3. Take cover off or cut a access hole for easy attachment/detachment. To protect the systemboard against slot insertion wear, add a M.2 slot protection card:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000025545421.html

4. Combing a R43SG + Jeyi Leidian, making it a TB3 eGPU, gives the same eGPU performance (22Gbps max) as any other dedicated TB3 enclosure such as a  Razer Core X.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
switch
(@switch)
Trusted Member

Just an update, based on Windows 1903 and latest intel drivers (from HP) & nvidia drivers (from nVidia directly). I had issues with my Aorus Gaming Box with GTX 1070.

It seems I started getting BSOD with DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION and code 0x26. It happened after I rearranged my desk and also installed a lot of updates (win2809 -> 1903, intel drivers, nvidia drivers, BIOS), without really using the egpu. It turns out that the culprit is WHICH THUNDERBOLT PORT IS USED to connect the eGPU. Traditionally, I would always use port #2 (counting from power socket), as port #1 was always covered by the docking station. Now I no longer use the docking station, so I figured I could put the bulky TB3 cable in the #1 port next to the power socket. Then errors happened every single time, no matter what I did. A few days later, a friend came over and I wanted to show him the problem and connected the eGPU by force of habit to the #2 port - it ran just fine, no BSOD. Then I unplugged (safely remove, unplug) and plugged into port #1 and - you guesses it - the BSOD was back. After about 10 more trials the pattern was clear: use the original port (#2 in my case) => works just fine; use the other port (#1 in my case) => BSOD.

Just putting it up here to help others.

Oh, and it seems that the GTX1070 GAMINGBOX is unable to provide more than 45W over USB-PD (20V, 2.25A or rather 19.5V 2.4A). The AORUS is clearly not delivering 100W USB-PD (not even 87W). It's enough for most laptops, but my hungry ZBook won't charge from it while powered on. It will charge on anything 65w+. Maybe it's the included USB-C w/tb3 cable?

2016 15" HP ZBook 15 G3 (Xeon E3-1545M, Iris Pro p580, no dGPU) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro
2018 15" HP ZBook 15 G5 (i7-8850H, HD630, Quadro P1000) + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10pro

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @switch

Oh, and it seems that the GTX1070 GAMINGBOX is unable to provide more than 45W over USB-PD (20V, 2.25A or rather 19.5V 2.4A). The AORUS is clearly not delivering 100W USB-PD (not even 87W). It's enough for most laptops, but my hungry ZBook won't charge from it while powered on. It will charge on anything 65w+. Maybe it's the included USB-C w/tb3 cable?

The cable tells the computer how much power delivery it can support. Did you try a different cable? If you're using the cable from the AORUS, then it should allow 100W. Maybe the power is limited by the laptop?

I looked at the HP ZBook 15 G5 Mobile Workstation User Guide, Chapter 12 Specifications : Input Power. I don't understand what it's trying to convey. There are multiple USB-C ratings from 45W to 90W. Are there different ZBooks that can take different amounts of power through the Thunderbolt ports? It says "The computer can operate on DC power within the following specifications. The voltage and current for your computer is located on the regulatory label."

The ZBook has a separate AC power input so you're not restricted to the USB-C limits.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
switch
(@switch)
Trusted Member

I'm using the AORUS' bundled cable - it only goes to 20v/2.25a as far as I can tell. I even used one of them fancy USB-C PD verifiers that show voltage and wattage.

The laptop can take 80w+ over USB-PD (maybe 100? it was 2.02x times faster than using a 45w charger) based on battery charge time on an idle laptop. Just not from the Aorus (tested using apple-compatible 100w usb-pd brick and cable - original apple brick works too, just not sure at what speed). Anyway, the HP Z G5 won't accept anything lower than 65W over USB-PD (CPU rating is 45W, dgpu video rating is 45W, add memory, SSD, IPS screen and peripherals, plus the MB itself and you can imagine why it refuses to accept 45w).

Maybe other models (GTX1080 or the ATi model) provide more PD?

Bottom line is I will try a new cable and report back.

Oh and the reason I care is because it's totally stupid to have a power brick AND the Aorus when the Aorus itself IS a power brick (ventilated one too).

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote