Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [feldeci]  

RSS

feldeci
(@feldeci)

System specs

• 2018 15-inch Macbook Pro Touchbar (Core i7 8850H 2.6GHz, Radeon 560X, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
  • Windows 10 Pro (1803)

eGPU hardware

Hardware pictures

When I powered on the Core X for the first time my first thought was: "Oh boy, that's loud!". And yes, it's loud, both the PSU and the factory installed 12cm fan. Luckily, there's an ATX PSU inside, so I decided to replace it. After googling for a while I ended up buying a Seasonic Focus Plus 80+ Platinum 550W (the original 650W PSU is overkill) because it's one of the best quality and most reliable PSUs out there and also semi-passive, the fan doesn't kick in until it reaches 30% load, just like my GPU, it's also semi-passive. Also didn't want to destroy my 3300€ Macbook with a shitty PSU.

Sadly, the original PSU is quite special regarding the location of the AC plug therefore I had to cut the metal mesh on the back of the Core X. I didn't have the tools and I'm not too experienced at cutting metal as you can see on the photos, but in the end I nailed it. Anyway it's on the floor and the back is facing the wall so it's totally invisible. I also had to remove the factory fan together with the mounting frame because of the cables, there's no additional fan inside, just the PSU and the GPU. Despite these the temperatures are good, after playing for hours with Shadow of the Tomb Raider the GPU is around 70C-72C, never seen higher temps. Rock stable, no freezes. And oh boy, it's silent!

The only downside is that I can't flip the PSU (the 220V connector would be too high, I can't cut the metal frame above the mesh on the back of the Core X) so the PSU fan is facing the back of the GPU, it can't take fresh air from the outside. But I've been using this build for 4 months, no problems at all (and really, it's not that hot).

Installation steps

Besides the hardware modding it was a breeze.

1. Boot Windows 10
  2. Plug in the eGPU
  3. Install Nvidia drivers

That's it. No error 12, no black magic, no registry hacking, just plug and play. Just open displays preferences and set game executables to use the eGPU.

Booting: I have to boot Windows with the eGPU disconnected. After logging in I connect the eGPU and it just works, no need to connect on the third quarter of the second spin of the loading circle, etc.. just boot, log in and connect the eGPU. No black magic again.

Benchmarks

I don't have an external monitor so I always use the internal display.

CUDA-Z

Valley

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2880x1800, internal display, no AA, everything else maxed out)

Comments

This is the only machine I've got, I'm too old for a dedicated gaming PC 🙂 I don't play often, I'm using this machine primarily for work and I work with OS X. But sometimes I like to game, and with the eGPU I can play all modern AAA titles at 2880 x 1800, everything maxed out on the internal display avg 40FPS and that's enough for me. Don't forget the fact that 2880x1800 is around 50% more pixels than 1440p, it's almost 4k. Current technology is just not advanced enough for [email protected] or at least I don't want to spend that much money on it.

And again, it's dead silent on desktop (even when charging), no fans running at all. When it comes to gaming it's very quiet, I can barely hear the fans. Mission: accomplished, I have a Macbook and a silent gaming PC in one package.

This topic was modified 7 months ago

2018 15-inch Macbook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + Win10

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@feldeci Thank you for sharing this nice build and the details on PSU upgrade!

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Lovely hard ware pic... very clean.
So many people don't understand why folks prefer Macs but the vast majority of the creative industry are still anchored with them with a good couple of important bits of software being macOS only.
Plus they look a lot nicer.

MacBook Pro for work + eGPU and W10 for games= best of both worlds.

Feels like each year set up gets simpler too.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

feldeci liked
ReplyQuote
feldeci
(@feldeci)

@itsage Thanks and I would like to thank you for the work you did here. I wouldn't have jumped into the eGPU world without this site, I spent countless hours reading the forum here before ordering my gear.

2018 15-inch Macbook Pro Touchbar + GTX1070Ti[email protected] (Razer Core X) + Win10

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
MartinAnthony
(@martinanthony)

Hi, very cool setup, but i have to ask. How did you manage to get the internal display accelerated and working? That seems like the biggest issue regarding these new Macbook Pro setups.

MacBook Pro 15'' Touchbar 2018 + eGPU Aorus Gigabyte Gaming box GTX 1080

ReplyQuote
feldeci
(@feldeci)

@MartinAnthony I didn't have to do anything, really. Plugged in the eGPU after Windows booted, installed the drivers, set the game executables to use the eGPU and it worked out of the box.

2018 15-inch Macbook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + Win10

ReplyQuote