2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2  

RSS

benoitor
(@benoitor)

Thanks so much for this website that helped me made this configuration possible.

Hardware

- Late 2018 15"  MacBook Pro  w/ i7 8850h and Radeon 560x

-  Razer Core X  eGPU

- Founders Edition  RTX 3060 Ti  

- Selore&S-Global  TB3 cable  from Amazon

Hardware pictures

After this picture, I reversed the side fan polarity to make it exhaust. Overall, installation was very easy.

Installation steps 

1. Did not re-install or Format bootcamp and went with my previously existing Bootcamp

2. Plugged the  TB3 cable  and turned on the  Razer Core X  before booting up

3. Started bootcamp

4.  Razer Core X  and card were detected but as a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"

5. I installed the Nvidia drivers manually

6. Card was recognized as Geforce RTX 3060 Ti

7. Restarted the computer as above

8. It worked on external display

Benchmarks

Only got a 1080p screen (240Hz)

Comments

I encountered a few errors :

• "Thunderbolt device functionality might be limited" error message at first : this was because the seller of the  Razer Core X  I bought second-hand did not include the original cable but a random USB-C that had no thunderbolt capabilities. I bought another cable and it disappeared.
  • Error code 31 because the drivers of the card were not installed. The card was only recognized as a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". Manually installing the drivers fixed this
  • Error code 12 several times. This scarred me the most because I read it was a really complex issue to solve. However, it turned out that I just cannot used the second port on the right side of my laptop. It just crashes the egpu. I can use the left side ones though. A  Razer Core X Chroma  would have come really handy to me as I could have used  the Ethernet and USB ports on it instead of having a second USB adapter. I might update later.
  • Lag spikes and sudden FPS drops ingame. I play CSGO competitively so this was really annoying. Turned out that deactivating the dGPU (internal Radeon Pro 560X) solved this issue.

The performance improvement was quite interesting for some games. I can play CSGO at high refresh rate with high settings (important to see through molotov for instance). And of course, other games run pretty well. CPU also seems to run cooler but I would have to verify this by measuring it.

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

Boltoway, goalque, itsage and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@benoitor, Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing this build! That's a lot of hurdles to set up an nVidia eGPU in Boot Camp. I'm glad you got them all resolved.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

benoitor liked
ReplyQuote
benoitor
(@benoitor)

@itsage, Thank you! Actually was a long time lurker of egpu.io, which made me decide to share my build as well.

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
yurgon
(@yurgon)

@benoitor, nice build, thanks for posting it along with the errors and solutions you encountered

System: Asus Tuf Dash F15, i7 11370h,16GB, RTX3060 dGPU
eGPU1: Aorus Gaming Box, GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC 8G
eGPU2: Mantiz Saturn Pro v2, RX5500 XT 4GB

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Saturn Pro V2) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote