2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2  

RSS

thewayofjay
(@thewayofjay)

As a long time lurker of this website, I'm happy to finally share my first successful build.

Hardware

- Late 2018 15" MacBook Pro w/ i7 8850h and Radeon 560x

- Razer Core X eGPU

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Vision OC

- Apple TB3 cable (0.8m)

Hardware pictures

I plan to get a monitor arm to mount to my desk and work on a little cable management. I'll make sure to update here when I do. 

Installation steps

1. Formatted previous Bootcamp partition

2. Installed clean copy of Windows (20H2 19042.631)

3. Logged in and plugged in my GPU on right TB3 port closest to screen after reaching the desktop (top left did not work previously, not sure why)**

4. Windows automatically installed drivers

5. Updated drivers from Nvidia website and installed GeForce Experience

**I did run into some relatively rare errors, see comments. 

Benchmarks 

All performed on my external 3440x1440 monitor.

Comments:

For others troubleshooting with the 2018 15" MacBook Pro or eGPU issues in the future, I ran into an interesting problem during my previously planned setup a week or so ago. After installing my GPU and the proper drivers, I ran into a continuous issue of alternating yellow bangs on my RTX 3080. My predominant issue was code 47 (hardware has been deemed safe for removal; try plugging in again), one that I saw was exceedingly rare. Note that unplugging and re-plugging would yield the same issue. This would happen regardless of drivers or Windows edition (tried 1903 as well, no good). The computer would also make a USB connecting disconnecting sound essentially each time I plugged in the TB3 cable. Occasionally, port-jumping would provide other errors (Code 13, BSOD with nvlddmkm.sys error, or Code 43). For the few occasions that the eGPU was not yellow-banged, it still would not drive my external display nor was it available to be chosen as the high performance option for my applications. In fact, the errors I ran into nearly identically are linked here: [Help! 2018 Macbook Pro 15" + Razer Core X + RTX 2080 Super ] and [Windows, Linux] GPU recognized, not working. Windows - code 47, no signal. Linux - no signal with Nvidia drivers, but yes with Nouveau.

The former post describes the errors I would run into when the eGPU was not yellow-banged, while the latter post reflects my yellow-bang woes. Fortunately enough, the solution was simple: replace the Core X. I'm not sure if something on my initial Core X motherboard was damaged, but with my new one, I used the steps indicated for my build above, and have been smooth sailing since. 

This topic was modified 7 months ago
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote