Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) +...

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [something]  

RSS

something
(@something)
Eminent Member

System specs 

2018 MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB Ram DDR4
Radeon Pro 555x 4GB
512GB SSD

eGPU hardware 

LG Ultrawide 38"
Razer Core X
ASUS STRIX GTX 1080

Hardware pictures 

Incoming.

Installation steps 

Installed Windows 10 via BootCamp Assistant.
Downloaded latest Windows 10 updates.

Followed Razer Core X instruction booklet:
- plugged Display Port from Razer Core X into LG 
- plugged TB3 cable into MacBook Pro right side port closest to hinge

Instantly nVidia graphics were recognized in system trey.
Software/drivers for chassis/gpu began to install.
After Windows recognized installation was complete I downloaded GeForce Experience App.

Download latest NVIDIA drivers.
Express installation. 

Opened Device Manager and Disabled Radeon 555x.
MacBook Pro screen will go black.

Loaded Star Wars Battle Front II. 
Took a few minutes to configure graphic settings as it was auto toggling HDR. Could not disable HDR and change screen resolution together, otherwise game would minimize and then be a black screen with audio if trying to fullscreen it. 

Disabled HDR
Set to max resolution and ULTRA settings.
Game runs like butter.

Benchmarks 

Incoming.

Comments

So far it has been pretty much plug and play. Haven't spent enough time with it yet. Will be doing more tests and benchmarks but I assume if I can run Battle Front II on ultra settings with no hiccups, all my 3d creation software won't struggle. 

Really happy that I didn't have to hack anything. My laptop screen being black is not a huge deal breaker for me, as I will only be using BootCamp for some casual gaming and mostly some 3d software. 

Originally I attempted to run 3d Mark without disabling the Radeon but even though the NVIDIA system trey icon was saying it was running the app off the GTX, it appeared it was working the Radeon Card instead.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: something

System specs 

2018 MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB Ram DDR4
Radeon Pro 555x 4GB
512GB SSD

I have an 2018 MacBookPro 15", too and there were two reasons to upgrade the size (always had 13" before):
1) 32 GB Ram
2) A decent dGpu.

It's funny that with the eGPU reason 2) went into nothing, even trouble. Reason 1) still counts: As developper I urgently need the 32 GB Ram.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote