2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.1 & Win10 [mac_editor]
Life can be cruel. My RX 5700 XT just had to up and die. Fan refuses to spin on plug-in to host and macOS crashes shortly after. To eliminate all variables, I tested my (now dubbed 'trusty') Vega 64 and everything is functional.
Here's the lowdown of the event:
- Mac + 5700 XT were in sleep mode (not deep sleep as I keep the prevent computer from sleeping automatically on AC power).
- I decided to do some late night gaming.
- Woke up the laptop, clicked shutdown.
- Powered on the laptop, holding option key (hoping to boot into Bootcamp).
- Got stuck at Apple logo - boot selector did not show.
- Delaying worked but as soon as I plugged in, boot selector got hung up.
- Delaying further after selecting Windows - still got stuck.
- Booted without eGPU into macOS and then hot-plugged.
- Tried with Vega 64. Worked.
- Retried with 5700 XT. Crash.
What happened between 1 and 3? God knows. I swear I didn't do anything besides what I've mentioned. Just a shutdown. Guess I'll be RMAing the GPU. I just hope that the cause of failure was just the GPU itself - otherwise it would affect the Vega too.
I have 10 days to return on Newegg or I could RMA under warranty. Should I just return it and get a different model (Red Devil)? What would you guys recommend?
Edit: RMAing via Newegg replacement. Seemed like the simplest option.
Happened to me again! Same series of steps. Wanted to reboot into Windows so I shut down first. I force-shutdown because macOS was taking too long (happens on Navi it seems) - have done it before countless times. Bam - GPU gone. Tried silent BIOS too - no luck. Vega still works. Could it be a macOS-induced problem?
Haven’t I read that Mac OS is damaging too many Navi cards? Is that a driver issue that should get better?
I’ve had zero issues with my RX 5700 XT.
Great card. Fast and reliable. In both Mac OS and Windows 1809.
I don't know whether it is a widespread issue. In my experience, the Vega just works better - system shuts down normally. With Navi, system freezes (seems like its waiting) until I physically disconnect the eGPU. Navi is problematic on Windows as well - already had 2 crashes while playing what is a hardly intensive game for this GPU. Again, no troubles on the Vega. Loopback performance for Vega is also much better than Navi - AMD's drivers have been horrible and I will be switching to NVIDIA for a future PC build.