Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station ...

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station 2) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 [Suwit]  

RSS

(@suwit_suriyasriwan)

System specs

15" MacBook Pro 2018 (15,1), i7-8850H, Intel Graphics UHD630, AMD Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, Windows 10 1903 (bootcamp)

eGPU hardware

ASUS  XG STATION 2 (FW 25.1), AMD RX 580

Monitor is AOC 2379H" FHD (1920x1080) with HDMI cable directly connect to eGPU

macOS

RX 580 is natively supported by macOS, You can hot-plug eGPU anytime you prefer.

Windows Installation steps

1. Clean install Microsoft Windows 10 (1903) via Boot Camp Assistant.

2. After Bootcamp driver installed on the system, use  DDU  to uninstall GPU driver.

3. Use Goalque‘s automate-eGPU EFI to make bootable USB.

4. Enter macOS recovery and set security to "off", set allow to boot from external.

5. Boot the system through EFI (e-GPU disconnected) and load it to windows.

6. Hot-plug and identify eGPU in device manager, Install lastest AMD driver  from  bootcampdrivers.com

7. Uninstall RX 580  driver (but not delete) from device manager then reboot.

Optional for external monitor only

1. Connect the cable direct to GPU card (HDMI, DP or DVI)

2. Set display to show only external monitor via Windows Display setting.

3. Disable PCIe Controller 1901 in device manager.

An extra step to stop CPU throttling.

1. Install Intel XTU.

2. Set Turbo Boost Power Max to 25.0 W

3. Set Turbo Boost Short Power Max to 30.0 W

4. Set Turbo Boost Power Time Window to 5.0 S

5. Apply and done.

Benchmarks

This topic was modified 1 month ago

2018 15″ MacBook Pro i7-8850H/Radeon Pro 560X dGPU/16GB RAM/512GB SSD; RTX 2070 Super & ROG XG STATION 2

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@suwit_suriyasriwan Nice build! You actually don’t need Intel drivers on 2018/2019 15″ MacBook Pro because the iGPU is not functional at all. It may show up when you boot with automate-eGPU EFI but it doesn’t work. This configuration works well because you don’t use the internal display. When you need the internal display to work with dGPU, simply re-enable PCI Express Controller 1901 and it’s good to go.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@suwit_suriyasriwan)

@itsage

Thank you for your information, Yesterday I just make my MBP work with internal display and 1901 disabled.

It very easy with hot plug process.

Just bootup windows without EFI and disconnected eGPU then do hot plug and uninstall RX580 driver via device manager.

Then restart and now an internal display work with RX580 while 1901 still disabled.

2018 15″ MacBook Pro i7-8850H/Radeon Pro 560X dGPU/16GB RAM/512GB SSD; RTX 2070 Super & ROG XG STATION 2

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@suwit_suriyasriwan Yes the internal display remains working with PCIe Controller 1903 disabled. However, it uses generic Microsoft display drivers. This is not ideal because the refresh rates is slower than normal. You also can’t accelerate the internal display with eGPU this way.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
(@suwit_suriyasriwan)

@itsage

Great to know that, thanks for your information.

I've edited my build guide yet.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@charles_lee_1)

@suwit_suriyasriwan

Hello my friend, we have a similar build except I use the core i9 while you use the i7, and I’m using RX 5700 XT in a Razer Core X, running macOS Catalina like you are.  Here’s where I got stuck:  in Windows when I hotplug the eGPU the MBP doesn’t recognise my eGPU, much to my frustration.  Do you have any idea what is causing this problem?  Also is your built only work with internal display and will only work in external display after I’ve completed the setup without the external display plugged into my GPU?

at least I don’t feel like money will be wasted because macOS 10.15.1 will support RX 5700 XT, but I really want to use it for Windows.  I would really appreciate your help.  Cheers

2018 15″ MacBook Pro i9-8950HK/Radeon Pro 560X dGPU/32GB RAM/2TB SSD; Radeon RX 5700XT & Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
(@suwit_suriyasriwan)

@charles_lee_1

Hi, is your macOS recognize XG2? Which is your firmware version? 

And this built work both internal and external display.

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
(@charles_lee_1)

@suwit_suriyasriwan

I think I should give you some update to my quest for it to work.  Forgive me for being a noob in this kind of stuff.

I used an older version of drivers from  bootcampdrivers.com  and now the computer can finally identify the eGPU.  Somehow the eGPU EFI auto loader was unnecessary for this to happen since it never detected my eGPU being plugged in anyway.

Here's my newest and most expected problem now:  the dreaded "yellow bang" error 12 that I just can't get rid of.  I tried uninstalling the eGPU without deleting drivers, as well as disabling both x16 and x8 PCIe controller, and nothing has changed.  I consistently plug the eGPU into the top right i.e. right sided back TB3 port for this, and I've never attempted to plug it into the left sided ports.

Do you know what should I do now?

2018 15″ MacBook Pro i9-8950HK/Radeon Pro 560X dGPU/32GB RAM/2TB SSD; Radeon RX 5700XT & Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
(@suwit_suriyasriwan)

@charles_lee_1

With a 15-inch 2018 model, you can use any TB3 port that you prefer.

And from my MBP Bootcamp, Disable PCIe is unnecessary they should be work even enable or disable 1901 PCIe.

The latest driver from Bootcampdrivers.com should work with your model.

EFI autoload is not working now, please skip it!

If you don't have an external monitor, enabled 1901 is recommended.

You can try unplug eGPU, DDU your driver via safe mode and install the latest driver from Bootcampdrivers then hot-plug eGPU and let the system recognize your device.

After that uninstall 5700 drivers via device manager and make a restart while eGPU still plugs.

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
(@charles_lee_1)

@suwit_suriyasriwan

So should I install the new drivers, then hot-plug, then reboot to Windows?  Or should I install the drivers whilst the eGPU is plugged in?

BTW my OS Build is 18362.356 which may have broken something.  It’s a fresh new install so I can’t go back to older version unfortunately

ReplyQuote
Mymantiz_John
(@mymantiz_john)
Vendor

Posted by: @charles_lee_1

@suwit_suriyasriwan

So should I install the new drivers, then hot-plug, then reboot to Windows?  Or should I install the drivers whilst the eGPU is plugged in?

BTW my OS Build is 18362.356 which may have broken something.  It’s a fresh new install so I can’t go back to older version unfortunately

search Windows 10 1903 V1 x64. iso , then you will get 18362.30 , everything should be fine after that. 

Mantiz: ● ●

ReplyQuote
(@charles_lee_1)

@mymantiz_john

After I installed this OS Build, should I upgrade it to 18362.295 or keep it at 18362.30?

ReplyQuote
(@charles_lee_1)

OK so I've decided to stick with 18362.30 and I'm embarassed to say it works.  Looks like Windows 10 OS Build is the culprit of my undying frustration.  Thank you very much for all your help and if I have any more problems I will ask again.

ReplyQuote