Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus...

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [mac_editor]  

of  3
  RSS

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @mac_editor

@oliverb

Haha yep I don't have close to that many! End result is the same though, you have 2 TB ports free, I have 3.

@mac_editor
hehe, very true 😉 I admit, the extra power cable is little annoying. This is the price for silence...

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@mac_editor
Something important changed with Windows 10 Build 1903 (295):

I can and actually do run games/benchmarks on internal display with eGPU power, even though the internal display is running on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. This was not possible before. I am still surprised... did you know this?

UnigineHeaven InternalDisplay
MSHybrid 1903 Device Manager
MSHybrid 1903

Before, acceleration on internal display always required dGPU drivers (AMD) running the dGPU. Here I am witnessing that this may be not true anyore (at least in some cases)

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
User99999
(@user99999)
Eminent Member

@oliverb

So you can run games etc at full eGPU power! 

Pending: Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2015 m370x eGPU Radeon Rx 5700 W10

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@oliverb

Nope was not aware of this. How that works is beyond me haha. My guess is that they have improved their basic adapter to provide basic DirectX display support - I may be totally wrong, but usually IIRC DirectX-related errors used to pop up when attempting to run things on a basic adapter. Or a more amusing situation would be some drivers working in the shadows :p I don't think there will every be a day I will understand Windows as much as I do macOS. Windows updates are a coin toss.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @user99999

@oliverb

So you can run games etc at full eGPU power! 

@user99999

I was able run windowed Unigine Benchmarks and the game "Devotion" on internal display with full eGPU power. You could do such thing before if you had an external monitor, start the software on external monitor, drag the windows into internal display. It works now without external monitor and feels more performant.

But I had problems to start the benchmarks in Full-Screen mode, system gave me an error. So there are still issues.

@oliverb

Nope was not aware of this. How that works is beyond me haha. My guess is that they have improved their basic adapter to provide basic DirectX display support - I may be totally wrong, but usually IIRC DirectX-related errors used to pop up when attempting to run things on a basic adapter. Or a more amusing situation would be some drivers working in the shadows :p I don't think there will every be a day I will understand Windows as much as I do macOS. Windows updates are a coin toss.

@mac_editor
I know those DirectX errors with this dreadful Basic Adapter too well and I still got them trying so start Unigin Valley in Full-Screenmode. It was only by accident that I startet a game (Devotion) after unplugging the external monitor. It worked. Then I startet windowed Unigine Heaven. It worked, too.  This is news.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Posted by: @oliverb

I have two TB3 Ports always free.

I have more peripherals. The extra ports on the Mantiz help, and the internal SSD helps. 5 USB-A ports is better than 1 USB-C port for me (ultimately I’m using 1 TB port on the Mac). With the XG, I would have to use a dongle with its USB-C port for my peripherals any way. I used egpu in the same way as you with the Sonnet (two wires), but then had to use a dongle on my MBP for the other peripherals. Now I have a couple extra USB-A on the Mantiz in case I need them, along with more TB3 ports. 

Having expansion ports on the eGPU is very useful for day-to-day. Yesterday I had to put marketing materials on hundreds of USB drives. The second USB port on the VisionTek mini eGFX worked great connecting to a 22-port USB Duplicator. The entire process worked smoothly and quickly.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: @oliverb

Is this reproducible on other systems, too? What about nVidia cards? Are there other reports of it?

@oliverb confirming that internal display works for NVIDIA eGPUs as well (even when used simultaneously with AMD eGPU).

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
 of  3