2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.2 & Win10 [Samuel Febrian Adhitya]  

RSS

(@samuel_febrian_adhitya)

System specs

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, 2018)
  • CPU: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-8750H)
  • GPUs: Intel UHD Graphics 630 + AMD Radeon Pro 560X
  • Memory: 32GB 
  • Storage: 1TB SSD
  • Operating Systems
    • macOS Catalina 10.15.2
    • Windows 10 version 1809

eGPU Hardware

Hardware pictures

Installation steps

• Install Windows 10 via Boot Camp (I set it to 128GB, I install my games on an external SSD)
  • Download drivers from bootcampdrivers.com and install
  • A few restarts and Windows updates (I didn't update to 1903) and plug in eGPU
  • Restart MacBook Pro with eGPU plugged in and turned on
  • No errors. Enjoy.

Benchmarks

I don't have any recorded benchmarks, but I do run MSI Afterburner when trying the games I installed. Grand Theft Auto V (max graphics @ 2560x1440) <50 FPS, CS:GO (max graphics @ 1600x1200) <250 FPS, Battlefield V (ultra graphics @ 2560x1440) <60 FPS.

Comments

After sleepless nights of trying different setups, I'm glad that this works. My first attempt was installing the entire Windows in an external SSD. It was quite successful except for some Steam games that won't open. Going into the external SSD route, I'm fully aware that you're unable to upgrade your Windows, but I'm fine with it. I opted for Windows 10 version 1809 instead of 1903 V1 just to be safer. On my second attempt, I tried without the drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, but since I have an AMD eGPU (I think that's the cause), both my laptop and my monitor screen just turned black and nothing happens. On my last attempt, I was surprised it worked. So the lesson to learn is, install Windows on your internal storage, install all the additional software (like games, or anything else) on an external drive instead. Enjoy!

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote