2018 15" MacBook Pro RP560X + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + Win10 [gameboy]  

RSS

gameboy
(@gameboy)
November 21, 2018 12:06 am  

System specs
2018 15" MacBook Pro - i7-8850H/Radeon 560x dGPU/UHD Graphics 630 iGPU/16GB RAM/512GB SSD

eGPU hardware
Razer Core X + Gigabyte GTX 980 (reference card)

Installation steps
After installing Windows 10 1803:
1. Boot into Safe Mode (pressing SHIFT while restarting).
2. Uninstall AMD drivers with DDU tool and shut down. 
3. Plug the eGPU and boot into Windows. W10 recognized eGPU and started downloading NVIDIA drivers.
4. Restart.
5. Download GeForce Experience and install latest NVIDIA drivers.

Benchmarks
Not yet.

Comments
I´ve had some issues while starting Windows with the eGPU and an external SSD.
- If I plug the eGPU in the left port, Windows freezes when I try to connect the external SSD (to any port).
- If I plug the eGPU in the second left port, I am able to connect the external SSD to the right ports in Windows.
- If I plug the eGPU to any of the right ports, I am able to connect the external SSD in Windows.

As I need to connect a mouse and this external SSD for my games while starting Windows, I am using a HyperDrive hub, which allows me to connect the Core X, SSD and the mouse via USB. For now it is working flawlessly. 

About the fan noise of the Razer Core X, for me it is quite ok and it does not become annoying.

2018 15" MacBook Pro RP560X + [email protected] + Win10

ReplyQuote
Manu Ignatius
(@manu_ignatius)
November 22, 2018 2:22 am  

Have you noticed any problems in terms of speed while connecting through the hub @gameboy?

Apple's page on eGPUs says, "...make sure that the cable is connected directly to a Thunderbolt 3 port on your Mac, not daisy-chained through another Thunderbolt device or hub."

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
gameboy
(@gameboy)
November 29, 2018 2:38 pm  

I haven't noticed any issues like that. On macOS it just charges the laptop, and on Boot Camp it works fine.

2018 15" MacBook Pro RP560X + [email protected] + Win10

ReplyQuote
MemeMontage
(@mememontage)
December 15, 2018 9:37 pm  

Are you using all 3 through the hub or is the egpu in its own thunderbolt 3 port?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote