2018 15" MacBook Pro RP560X + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.2 / Win10 Pro [capybara]  

RSS

capybara
(@capybara)
December 25, 2018 5:40 pm  

System Specifications

• MacBook Pro 15" (2018)
  • CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-8850H)
  • GPU(s): Intel UHD 630, Radeon Pro 560X
  • RAM: 16gb
  • Storage: 512gb Internal NVMe, 512gb External SSD
  • Operating Systems: macOS 10.14.2, Win10 via Boot Camp

eGPU Specifications

• Razer Core X - no mods, 650w Power Supply
  • GPU: RX580
    • XFX Radeon RX580 GTS XXX Edition, 8gb RAM
  • Displays: 3 External Monitors
    • 32" 4K via DisplayPort 1.2 @ 60hz
    • 24" 1080p Display via DVI
    • 24" 1080p Display via DisplayPort to VGA

Instructions

• macOS Mojave - very straightforward, no extra steps, just plug & play
  • Windows 10 Pro via BootCamp 
    • (Do not plug in the eGPU yet) 
    • Install with the 1709 Image
      • Attempting to install with a fresh 1809 image would cause the initial installation to fail and with no automated recovery. I had to manually edit the Drive Volumes with diskutil. An 1803 image may work fine, but I didn't try it.
    • Run all Windows updates and patches
      • This brought me to 1803, it won't show the option to upgrade to 1809 - I'm assuming for hardware compatibility reasons
    • Run DDU to uninstall the existing AMD Drivers
      • (Reboot into Safemode first) 
    • Install the new drivers from bootcampdrivers.com
    • Power off the system and plug in your eGPU
      • Immediately disable the RP560x from Device Manager
        • This is probably an issue if I ever want to use Windows away from the eGPU, but I only use macOS unplugged.
    • Boot into Windows - at this point, the displays all showed, but when playing some games at high settings, I'd drop connection every few minutes.
      • To fix this, I tweaked the Power Settings to run Performance, and disabled any type of Sleep or Hiberation.  I haven't seen any issues since.

Benchmarks

LuxMark Tests
RP560x, Internal GPU

RX580, External GPU

Valley  Benchmarks
RP560x, Internal GPU

RX580, External GPU

Comments

• I initially purchased the HP Omen Accelerator with the Holiday Discount, but after reading reviews here about the poor performance of the USB ports and difficulty upgrading the Power Supply, I switched to the Razer Core X
    • At least from what I've seen, the Razer Core X doesn't seem to be discounted very often, if ever. But it is for sale on MicrosoftStore.com, and Rakuten frequently runs 15-20% store-wide sales, which you can use for Xbox Gift Cards.  Those cards can in turn be used for hardware at MicrosoftStore.com, to save you ~ $50 depending on what type of deal you can get on the credit up front.
  • Installation on the Core X was very simple - had the new card in in ~ 2 minutes. When trying with the Accelerator, it was far more cramped and inconvenient.
  • The mish-mash of monitor cables is because I also use the monitors on a work PC, and that's the best combination I could find to support 6 connections
  • I'm very happy with the setup, both for games and Productivity.  
    • Games run much smoother, especially at higher resolutions.
    • Productivity is the same, but I was previously using 3 USB-C adapters, which was inconvenient and prevented me from having anything else plugged in.
  • A huge thanks to everyone on this site, this was a great resource to learn how it all works, especially on Boot Camp.
This topic was modified 1 month ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 26, 2018 2:13 pm  

One recommendation I have is to use the stock Radeon drivers rather than bootcampdrivers.com for your Windows partition. That way the drivers work with RX 580 eGPU only. The AMD dGPU would use Microsoft basic display drivers to power the internal display but no acceleration.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote