2018 15" Macbook Pro Vega 20 + [email protected] (Razer Core) + Win10 [realTrumpalumpa]  

RSS

realTrumpalumpa
(@realtrumpalumpa)
November 26, 2018 1:05 am  

System specs
- MacBook Pro 15" (2018)
- 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9 CPU (i9-8950HK)
- Intel UHD 630 iGPU, AMD Vega 20 dGPU
- Windows 10 (& MacOS (not using with eGPU))

eGPU specs
- Razer Core GTX 1080
- External HDD + ethernet cable connected to core
- External Display

Hardware picture
see opening pic

Installation steps
- Plug in the egpu in top left port, it got recognized as "Microsoft something VGA-Adapter"
- Install Geforce Experience and install newest Driver (got version 416.94)
- reboot, thunderbolt cable still plugged in all the time, egpu works perfectly on external monitor while internal display stays black

CUDA-Z
https://imgur.com/a/fi0sD0e

Comments 
When plugging in something on the ports on core or laptop, egpu "resets" (kind of) itself resulting in no picture anywhere. Probably Bluescreen, but no video output.
Unplugging the core while windows running results also in Bluescreen.
Xbox controller got laggy after some time, when its adapter is plugged in the core. (I actually thought this would get resolved after using the full bandwith.)

I only use windows for gaming, everything other, I do in macOS with vega 20, connected to my external display. (for now)
Since I needed a MacBook with halfways strong cpu and gpu, I actually only had to go for radeon 555x and i7, but because gaming is also one of my interests, I decided to get the vega 20 upgrade for games on the go and then get rid of my other "gaming" devices. In the end I got it fully speced out, because it was cheaper getting it on black Friday with a huge discount I got at the apple store, than getting it online without in-store discount and pay even a little bit more for my intended specs. 
Compared to my previous laptop, with only 2x pcie lanes, this one works much much better with egpu. 
- It hits around 50fps in 4k on ultra settings in Forza Horizon 4 (Around 5fps more I guess?). In Forza, there was no more sudden stuttering, low bandwith warning pop-ups or abruptly stopping the car because the map kind of does not load fast enough?
- In Battlefield V (dx12) playing multiplayer isn't possible in 4k maxed out settings, since it drops quite below 30fps, but 1440p works just fine. BFV Nordlys (Story) in 4k has around 38 - 41fps, everything maxed out. Exception: When heavy fighting it drops to 28fps (same problem like online but not that bad I guess), in the snowstorm chapter even only to 20fps. 
- Csgo 4k maxed out has around 168-183fps at T-start on "Nuke", but can go up to 208fps in certain areas. 
- Overwatch 4k maxed out has mostly somewhere between 57 - 66fps but heavy action let it sometimes drop to a minimum of 51fps in the worst case. 

Sorry for my english by the way, it's not my first language. If you find grammar mistakes, you can keep them.  😉 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

Joikansai and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
realTrumpalumpa
(@realtrumpalumpa)
November 28, 2018 4:16 pm  

Sure, I can do that. I'll add some other game fps to my post when I have time in the next days.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
realTrumpalumpa
(@realtrumpalumpa)
December 1, 2018 12:36 am  

@Eightarmedpet Done

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Estimable Member

ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
December 1, 2018 2:01 pm  
Posted by: realTrumpalumpa

System specs
- MacBook Pro 15" (2018)
- 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9 CPU (i9-8950HK)
- Intel UHD 630 iGPU, AMD Vega 20 dGPU
- Windows 10 (& MacOS (not using with eGPU))

eGPU specs
- Razer Core GTX 1080
- External HDD + ethernet cable connected to core
- External Display

Hardware picture
https://imgur.com/a/AmzNSAT

Installation steps
- Plug in the egpu in top left port, it got recognized as "Microsoft something VGA-Adapter"
- Install Geforce Experience and install newest Driver (got version 416.94)
- reboot, thunderbolt cable still plugged in all the time, egpu works perfectly on external monitor while internal display stays black

CUDA-Z
https://imgur.com/a/fi0sD0e

Comments 
When plugging in something on the ports on core or laptop, egpu "resets" (kind of) itself resulting in no picture anywhere. Probably Bluescreen, but no video output.
Unplugging the core while windows running results also in Bluescreen.
Xbox controller got laggy after some time, when its adapter is plugged in the core. (I actually thought this would get resolved after using the full bandwith.)

I only use windows for gaming, everything other, I do in macOS with vega 20, connected to my external display. (for now)
Since I needed a MacBook with halfways strong cpu and gpu, I actually only had to go for radeon 555x and i7, but because gaming is also one of my interests, I decided to get the vega 20 upgrade for games on the go and then get rid of my other "gaming" devices. In the end I got it fully speced out, because it was cheaper getting it on black Friday with a huge discount I got at the apple store, than getting it online without in-store discount and pay even a little bit more for my intended specs. 
Compared to my previous laptop, with only 2x pcie lanes, this one works much much better with egpu. 
- It hits around 50fps in 4k on ultra settings in Forza Horizon 4 (Around 5fps more I guess?). In Forza, there was no more sudden stuttering, low bandwith warning pop-ups or abruptly stopping the car because the map kind of does not load fast enough?
- In Battlefield V (dx12) playing multiplayer isn't possible in 4k maxed out settings, since it drops quite below 30fps, but 1440p works just fine. BFV Nordlys (Story) in 4k has around 38 - 41fps, everything maxed out. Exception: When heavy fighting it drops to 28fps (same problem like online but not that bad I guess), in the snowstorm chapter even only to 20fps. 
- Csgo 4k maxed out has around 168-183fps at T-start on "Nuke", but can go up to 208fps in certain areas. 
- Overwatch 4k maxed out has mostly somewhere between 57 - 66fps but heavy action let it sometimes drop to a minimum of 51fps in the worst case. 

Sorry for my english by the way, it's not my first language. If you find grammar mistakes, you can keep them.  😉 

Io ports issue on core v1 is quite known they addressed it with separate io controller on v2 with new dual TB3 controller design is to stabilize io Data traffic during high eGPU usage. The best io ports usage on Core v1 would be directly from host laptop ports. 
BFV dx12 has seemly some issue on some systems but on other it could bumps performance, try playing on dx11, when I was last time playing it dx11 gains more FPS than dx12 on 4K and 1440p xc2080 egpu setting. Story mode was not optimized well, online maps was better fps, Ray Tracing was also quite playable on Amsterdam online map 40fps low but  on  forest one in Story mode, i gave up dxr;)
If you have time it would be great if you upload 3Dmark scores like firestrike or timespy comparing between MacBook Pro Vega 20 gaming performance and its 1080 egpu performance.

ReplyQuote
Enky_bubu
(@enky_bubu)
December 2, 2018 3:16 am  

Would love to see some Uningine, Timespy etc. benchmarks on this and compare to my MBP2017 15"+RTX2080 setup

-Macbook Pro mid 2017 15"
-Razer Core X
-RTX 2080 (MSI Gaming X Trio)
-ROG PG279Q

ReplyQuote
(@levh)
December 10, 2018 7:10 pm  

this is the Razer Core V1 ??

ReplyQuote
guillottin
(@guillottin)
December 12, 2018 8:19 pm  

I have a very similar setup except I have the I7 2,6 ghz and not the i9 on Macbook Pro 2018 Vega 20 and my enclosure is the Gaming Box and not the Razer Core.

I get 2450 points on Unigine Valley in 1080p extreme quality with a light overclocking.

If you want some other benchmarks, do not hesitate to ask

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Estimable Member
December 12, 2018 9:19 pm  
Posted by: guillottin

I have a very similar setup except I have the I7 2,6 ghz and not the i9 on Macbook Pro 2018 Vega 20 and my enclosure is the Gaming Box and not the Razer Core.

I get 2450 points on Unigine Valley in 1080p extreme quality with a light overclocking.

If you want some other benchmarks, do not hesitate to ask

Unigine Valley Preset ExtremeHD  is perfect. It's important to use a fixed preset in order compare.
You got 2450 points for exactly which graphic card?

I would really like to know:
- Score for Vega20 (internal display)
- Score for eGPU (internal and external display)

both on the same OS, of course.

macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-asus-xg-station-pro-evga-gtx-1080-ti
2018-15-macbook-pro-rp560x-rtx2080ti32gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro

early-2015-13-macbook-pro-gtx1080ti-11gb16gbps-tb2-asus-xg-station-pro-via-tb3-tb2-adapter

early-2015-13-macbook-pro-rtx2080ti-11gb16gbps-tb2-asus-xg-station-pro-via-tb3-tb2-adapter

2018-15-macbook-pro-rp560x-vega5632gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro
macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-razer-core-x-evga-gtx-1080-ti-2
macbook-pro-15inch-2018-aorus-gaming-box-gtx1080

ReplyQuote
realTrumpalumpa
(@realtrumpalumpa)
December 16, 2018 2:41 pm  

@levh Yes, it's v1.

ReplyQuote