Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" MacBook Pro (Vega20) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Powercolor G...

2018 15" MacBook Pro (Vega20) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Powercolor Gaming Station) + macOS 10.14.2 & Win10 [Clustre] // 2x4K , 1x1080P over Thunderbolt1  

RSS

Clustre
(@clustre)

System specs

-MacBook Pro 15 inch 2018, i9-8950HK 6-core, 32GB Ram, 1TB SSD
-iGpu Intel UHD Graphics 630
-dGpu AMD Radeon Pro Vega 20
-External Monitor AOC 1080P 27 Inch
-AMD XConnect working for internal monitor acceleration
-Mac OSX 10.14.2
-Windows 10 Build 1809 Bootcamp

eGPU hardware

PowerColor Gaming Station
Asus Strix Vega 64

Hardware pictures

20190301 192420

Installation steps

MacOSX:
Plug and Play

Windows (Recommended Windows 10 Build 1809)
- Install BootCamp through Mojave
- Boot into BootCamp (without eGPU plugged in) and install BootCamp drivers, restart
- Install all Windows 10 updates, restarting each time
- After everything is installed and up to date, plug in eGPU and restart until you get display on the external monitor
- Internal monitor will be black at first, then will turn on

Benchmark
- I'm having some issues getting AIDA64 to finish the benchmark, so I will post some benchmarks later

Comments
- I can't get AMD Radeon Settings to install updated drivers for the Vega 64 (it says no AMD card detected), so I will try installing the drivers manually.

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

2018 i9 MBP Vega 20 / PowerColor Gaming Station / Vega 64

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Thank you for sharing this nice build! Are you using the Apple provided Boot Camp drivers or the modified Radeon drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Clustre
(@clustre)

I am using the provided Boot Camp drivers, as installing modified Radeon drivers broke my bluetooth connection. 

So I figured out how to install updated drivers for the Vega 64:
- Download newest drivers from AMD Website
- Extract the exe with 7zip
- Go into Device Manager, select the Vega, and click updated driver
- Select "Have Disk" and direct it into the folder that contains the setup for Video Driver 
- It will restart a few times, screen will screw up, etc but it will update

Game performance improved MASSIVELY. Without updated drivers, I was getting random fps drops in GTA V, now it is locked at 60 max settings with VSync on.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Does that same Radeon driver work for the Vega 20 dGPU? How long do you wait until the internal come back on?

ReplyQuote
Clustre
(@clustre)

Since I just installed the 19.1.1 Drivers for Vega 64 only (through device manager), the Vega 20 GPU drivers don't seem to have been updated. The internal display comes on immediately if I boot without eGPU plugged in, and to get Vega 64 working again I have to hotplug and start the restart sequence again.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Thank you for the additional details. Does the Vega 20 dGPU actually work for internal display eGPU acceleration through Windows Graphics option?

ReplyQuote
Clustre
(@clustre)

Only when the eGPU is not plugged in. When the eGPU is plugged in the Vega 20 is completely disabled (device manager shows that the device could not be started) and AMD xConnect is being used to power the internal display. This can be seen through both Device Manager, and the Task Manager (only GPU that shows is Vega 64). I have not tried eGPU and only internal display yet, with no external connected.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Clustre

Only when the eGPU is not plugged in. When the eGPU is plugged in the Vega 20 is completely disabled (device manager shows that the device could not be started) and AMD xConnect is being used to power the internal display. This can be seen through both Device Manager, and the Task Manager (only GPU that shows is Vega 64). I have not tried eGPU and only internal display yet, with no external connected.

This is (unfortunately) a standard issue all MacBooks with AMD dGPU share: The AMD dGPU can't be used with an AMD eGPU in Bootcamp. It's almost a completely showstopper for Windows users. Acceleration on the internal display on this particular MacBook model (15-inch 2018) is not possible at all.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Posted by: OliverB

This is (unfortunately) a standard issue all MacBooks with AMD dGPU share: The AMD dGPU can't be used with an AMD eGPU in Bootcamp. It's almost a completely showstopper for Windows users. Acceleration on the internal display on this particular MacBook model (15-inch 2018) is not possible at all.

@oliverb we have found a way: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2018-15-macbook-pro-touchbar-radeon-vii32gbps-tb3-razer-core-macos-10-14-4-win10-1809-itsage/#post-55076

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 (Mantiz Venus MZ-02)

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: mac_editor
Posted by: OliverB

@oliverb we have found a way: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2018-15-macbook-pro-touchbar-radeon-vii32gbps-tb3-razer-core-macos-10-14-4-win10-1809-itsage/#post-55076

Oh, fantastic!... my last information was that the procedure was not practicable. I will test it with my dGPU Radeon Pro 560x and eGPU Radeon RX 580.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

What works for two, should work for three, too.

ThreeRadeonCards

Only I had to uninstall both AMD eGPUs before rebooting, if not, the internal screen goes black. Is there any way that this step is not necessary?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Credit goes to @chris_moran and his build guide that details the effort he went through to produce fully functional internal display with AMD eGPU. I read it carefully and realized Windows has a slight delay when initializing a “new” graphics card connection during the booting process. This 1-2 second timeframe allows the internal display of 2018 15″ MacBook Pro to come on. That’s why we need to manually uninstall the AMD eGPU/s prior to next boot so that Windows will again produce this slight delay.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

A program that automatically uninstalls the AMD eGPUs when shutting down, could be very helpful.

Is there any hint/idea why the interal screen goes black in the first hand?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

@oliverb am already working on that program. Will take time since I'm completely unfamiliar with Batch.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@oliverb am already working on that program. Will take time since I'm completely unfamiliar with Batch.

This is not easy, I am coming from the Unix/Linux world, too...":" replace ";" and vice versa.. hmmm.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Given @chris_moran's work on that build guide, I presume using PowerShell he could do this in an hour or two :p

ReplyQuote