2018 17" Lenovo ThinkPad P72 (Q P5200) [8th,6C,E] + RTX 3070 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Ra...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 17" Lenovo ThinkPad P72 (Q P5200) [8th,6C,E] + RTX 3070 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win11  

RSS

MetalNerd
(@metalnerd)

System specs 

2018 Lenovo Thinkpad P72 17"

• Windows 11 Workstation Pro x64
  • Intel Xeon E-2186M
  • 128GB DDR4
  • 10TB SSD
  • Intel UHD P630
  • NVIDIA Quadro P5200 w/ Max-Q

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X Chroma TB3

• Super Flower Leadex V Pro Gold 130 (1000W)
  • AORUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070ti Master
  • Inside Shell modifications
  • Currently modding the outter shell to fit width of card

Hardware pictures 

Razer Chroma Core X Pic 1
Razer Chroma Core X Pic 2

Installation steps

• Cutout inner shell plates and frame (I will post more pictures of the actual build cuts when I dismantle again to mount the outter shell)
  • All Lenovo Drivers up to date
  • Nvidia Drivers 466.77
  • Razer Synapse and Cortex

Benchmarks 

IGPU

IGPU CUDA Z

eGPU

eGPU CUDA Z

HWMONITOR

HWMonitor

Comments 

Now I can easily use more than 6 screens for development and big data analysis. Still tweaking this build so Ill keep commenting while the process is ongoing

2018 17" Lenovo ThinkPad P72 (Q P5200) [8th,6C,E] + RTX 3070 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win11 [build link]  

mr.ribeiro, Boltoway, itsage and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@metalnerd, Thank you for sharing this build. Are you planning to showcase that LCD on the GPU? That would be amazing!

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

MetalNerd liked
ReplyQuote
MetalNerd
(@metalnerd)

@itsage that is a very good idea.

I was just thinking of extending the shell by adding two metal strip inserts on top and bottom of the ventilated mesh. Basically, extending the same vents keeping the same look. Now you got me thinking that I could do some kind of plexiglass integration on the top.

I Dont Know  

I do like this build a lot. Not sure yet if I want to completely change the OEM look or just construct custom enclosure.

https://egpu.io/forums/custom-egpu-chassis/non-destructive-watercooling-mod-for-razer-core-x-chroma-and-why-i-switched-back-to-the-mantiz-venus/

Let me know if you have any specific suggestions. I can do just about any mod, most of the time the design is in my head but any ideas are more than welcome!

This post was modified 2 months ago
2018 17" Lenovo ThinkPad P72 (Q P5200) [8th,6C,E] + RTX 3070 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win11 [build link]  

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@metalnerd, Can you remove the shroud but leave 3x fans in place? If that's possible you could extend the cable for the that LCD on top of the card and find a nice home for it in the Razer Core X Chroma front fascia.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Steven Nelson
(@steven_nelson)

Hey man -- were you ever able to finish modding the case to make the card fit? If so, could you share some pictures?

I've got a Razer Core X Chroma arriving on Friday, and I just managed to get my hands on a AORUS 3070 ti MASTER today... I came across this post when trying to figure out if this card would actually fit Smile

Thanks!

Edit: I've got a line on a 3070 ti ROG STRIX local, close to market price... I'm going to pick it up while it's available as well in case you come back and say that you had to hack the Razer core case to bits, or that the AORUS just didn't fit, period. 

This post was modified 1 month ago

2021 Dell XPS 15 9500
Razer Core X Chroma
RTX 3070 Ti

ReplyQuote