2018 13" MacBook Air [8th,2C,Y] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + m...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 13" MacBook Air [8th,2C,Y] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.14 [JediTreasley]  

of  3
  RSS

mansle89
(@mansle89)

Thanks for sharing your experience. I may need to re-consider if I should buy the Macbook Air 😉 

When you say bottleneck badly - how much performance drop would you say around?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the write up. I will read up tonight but I'm gathering this was all on external displays? If I wanted to use internal display (MacOS) then I would need headless adapter with mirroring to play fortite through the internal display correct? Macbook Air 2018 + Vega 64 (TDP 295W) + Asus Station Pro?

2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Win10
Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
wilson88
(@wilson88)

I have this setup, and I've been really struggling to get it to work. This is my first eGPU experience.

I've been following a combination of this guide( https://egpu.io/bootcamp-setup-guide-tb3-macbook-pro/) and this guide ( https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2018-13-macbook-air-rx-58032gbps-tb3-zotac-amp-box-mini-macos-10-14-1-w10-1803-itsage/), but I will list all the steps I took.

1. Installed Windows 10 ISO through Boot Camp Assitant

2. Used DDU to remove default graphics drivers for AMD and Nvidia. (In safe mode)

3. Installed rEFInd boot manager and mounted ESP volume

4. Put apple_set_os.efi in custom folder inside EFI volume

5. Activated iGPU with rEFInd and apple_set_os.efi in boot selector

6. Disabled PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18 (wireless card) and the USB composite device that includes the iSight camera under PCI Express Root Port #1 - 9D10.

7. Hot-plugged eGPU during Windows loading circle screen (this took several attempts). Eventually the device showed up and I was able to install the drivers Windows recommended.

At this point, I attempted restart/shut down and turn on around 10 times to get the eGPU working. I would see a combination of issues. Either the device would not be recognized at all, I would see the dreaded code 12 (even with the specific things disabled as outlined in the other guide), or occasionally code 43. I tried booting with the eGPU attached, hot plugging during Windows circle loading screen, and hot plugging after logging in. Interestingly, when hot plugging after logging the device was always recognized, but had the error 12. Hot plugging during the Windows loading screen had about a 50% chance of even being recognized at all, when it was I could see error 12 or 43.

So I decided to try another driver. I downloaded a driver from here ( https://www.bootcampdrivers.com), and made three attempts to boot hot plugging the eGPU during Windows loading screen. The first attempt I got a code 12, the second it wasn't recognized, and the third... it worked! "The device is working properly"! However, I had no internet because that had to be disabled, so I plugged in my ethernet dongle. This crashed Windows.

I've never been able to get it to work again. I've made 17 more attempts. 6 attempts (timed hot plug during Windows loading circle) with a hard shut down and the ethernet dongle attached (unrecognized three times, code 12 three times). 5 attempts (hot plug windows loading screen) with a restart and the ethernet dongle attached (unrecognized all times).  6 attempts without the ethernet dongle and a hard shut down (unrecognized twice, code 12 four times)

Lastly, I decided to try @goalque's eGPU EFI Boot Manager, but I've been getting a mix (Code 43 twice, code 12 once.)

Any other thoughts on things I could try?

2018 Macbook Air and RX580 Gigabyte Gaming box (not working together)

ReplyQuote
Артур «Amurov» Смуров
(@amurov)

Hello. Can you please provide information about WoW gaming on your system?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  3