2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming B...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 [mac_editor]  

of  5
  RSS

wtlucky
(@wtlucky)

I have tried this, maybe it could help you.   After I finished this guide, I have used the  DDU to uninstall the Radeon Pro drivers that came with Apple Boot Camp drivers 6.1 (part of Boot Camp Assistant in macOS). After the macbook restarted, every thing is fine, both the internal display and the external display are work.  But the internal display use the default microsoft graphic card.  In this way you do not need to disconnect and connect thunderbolt 3 on spinning circles.  
I will not do a lot of work on the internal display, usually use it to show some texts. And I play games in the external display. So this is perfect for me. 
At last thanks @mac_editor to write this guide.   It has saved a lot of time for me.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@wtlucky I am aware of the internal display working if dGPU is a basic adapter - however eGPU cannot be used on internal display (to accelerate games, etc.) in this config. so I omitted mentioning it. Thank you for bringing it up on this thread.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mr.awe
(@mr-awe)

have you successfully updated Aorus firmware?
i tried every intel thunderbolt driver, but it failed due to no thunderbolt device detection or the error message which states 'unknown chip.'

Also, there is one big issue when i play the game with the gaming box. IT WON`T CHARGE!
it seems like idle let flow the juice to the MacBook, but when it goes to the full throttle status, it stops charging.

Have you encountered any of these issues?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
saeid592
(@saeid592)

Anybody can help!
I cant get the Aorus to work, it does connect and I can see it in the Nvidia application in the corner, but when Im trying to run a game it cant be detected.
What Im missing here?
btw Im using internal display.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@saeid592 use set-eGPU. It’s mentioned in the guide.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
saeid592
(@saeid592)

@mac_editor Its my first time trying to set a egpu and sorry for my bad English. I'm using a 2018 15 MacBook Pro and its in BOOTCAMP that I'm trying to get it to work.

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@saeid592 My bad, I didn't realize it was for bootcamp. Well, you can set GPU preferences in Windows 1803 or later - this is needed when using internal display.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
saeid592
(@saeid592)

@mac_editor Thanks it did work, the hole process is so simple just plug & play.

ReplyQuote
Buh Khuu
(@buh_khuu)
Trusted Member

I cant seem to match the timing... I've tried any possibility (Using exact same setup, 2018 15 macbook and eGPU AGB GTX1070)
* Booting with eGPU will give black internal screen, only external works
* Plugging eGPU just after selecting windows as bootdrive, same result, only external works
* Plugging eGPU during spinning circles, same result, only external works
* Plugging eGPU after boot before login, eGPU wont get recognized
* Plugging eGPU after boot after login, still nothing...

I've got nothing else plugged in, not even the HDMI cable on the GTX1070. Also tried all 4 thunderbolt ports, nothing helps

Any tips to work this more reliable would help! thanks!

2018 15" MacBook Pro I7-8850H RP560X
Razer Core X with Sapphire Radeon Vega 56
Dual LG 4K Monitors (27UD88 and 27UD69)
Running MacOS Catalina and Windows 1903 non optional update

ReplyQuote
saeid592
(@saeid592)

@buh_khuu Its very important to connect eGPU at 2-3 Windows boot-up circles and try all the four ports.

ReplyQuote
 of  5