Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + R9 Fury @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakawa...

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + R9 Fury @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14 [mac_editor]  

RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Kudos: This build would not have been possible without @itsage.

System Specifications

• MacBook Pro 15" (2018)
  • CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-8850H)
  • GPU(s): Intel UHD 630, Radeon Pro 560X
  • macOS 10.14

eGPU Specifications

• Sonnet Breakaway eGFX 350W -> 600W Corsair Upgraded
  • Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Note: 
    Card is a tight fit.
  • Apple TB3 Cable

Installation

The installation process is usually straightforward if you use one of the solutions on this forum.

For macOS

• Use purge-wrangler.sh (Option #1).
    v4.2.1 or later required.
  • When asked, choose to enable legacy GPUs.

No need to restart the system. eGPU should be immediately functional.

Not all applications take advantage of external GPUs. For that, one can use set-eGPU.sh for High Sierra (10.13.4+) or use the Prefer External GPU option in Mojave.

Benchmarks

Some interesting benchmarks:

LuxMark, W/O eGPU

LuxMark, W/ eGPU

Valley, RP560X, Internal Display

Valley, R9 Fury, Internal Display

Note: The GTX 780 performed significantly better than the R9 Fury in macOS in Unigine benches. Some interesting stuff going on with Apple's drivers.

Comments

I only use the eGPU for testing purposes at this time, but my experience and benchmarks make the following clear:

• Compute performance over 560X: ~3x.
  • R9 Fury is not optimized to the fullest on macOS, as evident with meagre gains in Valley.
This topic was modified 5 months ago

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member

Hi buddy,

i have a general question. I thought the R9 is natively supported. Why do you still need to run purge wrangler?
Best
TV

My Setup

ReplyQuote
(@brendan_collins)

Hello Vindiesel and mac_editor. I am curious if you could help me out or point me to something / someone that could.

I am trying to get my eGPU to work.

I am seeking help getting my setup working on my iMac and my MacBook Pro.

My Hardware:

eGPU Enclosure: Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box

GPU: EVGA 1080 TI Founders Edition

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@vinhdiesel Apologies for not responding to this. Script needed because R9 is not natively supported.

@brendan_collins wait for Web Drivers.

ReplyQuote
(@brendan_collins)

There is no way to use an older web driver?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member

@Brendan_collins what is exactly not working? Can you specify what hardware and macbook you are using?

My Setup

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@vinhdiesel Apologies for not responding to this. Script needed because R9 is not natively supported.

@brendan_collins wait for Web Drivers.

@mac_editor, I am trying at this moment an vintage Radeon HD 5850 with High Sierra, but I have no success, even with purge-wrangler. Can you tell me, what I am missing? Is it doable at all?

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

The legacy AMD eGPU support may not have included the HD 5850. Here’s the note provided to me by @goalque.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: itsage

The legacy AMD eGPU support may not have included the HD 5850. Here's the note provided to me by @goalque.

I see. Of course, the performance is not that great, so nobody will use it as eGPU productively, only for testing purposes 🙂

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@itsage, @mac_editor: One thing I do not understand: ATI Radeon HD 5850 has been the official GPU in Late 2009 iMAC (Model MB953xx/A)
Why is it wrong to except this to be supported in MacOSX natively? 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@oliverb because Mojave doesn’t have drivers for it (has to do with Metal as well). 2012 or later macs are supported (except 2010 Mac Pro with compatible modern GPU). purge-wrangler legacy support enables eGPU use for AMD GPUs that would otherwise run fine if installed as an internal device (like in Mac Pro), nothing more.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@goalque, @itsage, @mac_editor,

Is it confirmed that the Hawaii chip work? All builds here with this chip just report for Win10, there is none for MacOSX.

I am trying a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 and it won't work under MacOSX: I have tried purge-wranger, EFI Boatlader and automated-eGPU installation. The only thing I get is for some seconds the eGPU Symbol (Square, showing "No removable GPU" with click) in right upper corner and something happens on black external monitor until the symbol disappears.

eGPUSymbol

Furthermore If I look in System Report, I don't find the card under Graphics/Displays, but somthing under PCI, which looks as there is some wrong detection:

WrongGPUType

Note: Under Windows/Bootcamp the card is automatically detected as "AMD Radeon R9 200 Series" and works fine there.

Thank you very much for some advice here.

This post was modified 11 months ago

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@oliverb

A couple of years ago I tested several AMD cards, the device id 0x67B1 was never fully supported. Apple improved its drivers silently but nowadays as macOS's windowing system is Metal accelerated (Core OpenGL deprecated), only a few cards work. That's why automate-eGPU EFI supports only AMD cards that work in a classic Mac Pro. By searching with the device id, you can figure out which cards have Metal integration.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
2018 13" MacBook Pro + Radeon [email protected] + Win10 1809

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@goalque, thank you for your reply. This is important to know, so I am not looking for the wrong reasons.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: goalque

@oliverb

A couple of years ago I tested several AMD cards, the device id 0x67B1 was never fully supported. Apple improved its drivers silently but nowadays as macOS's windowing system is Metal accelerated (Core OpenGL deprecated), only a few cards work. That's why automate-eGPU EFI supports only AMD cards that work in a classic Mac Pro. By searching with the device id, you can figure out which cards have Metal integration.

In the AmdLegacy.kext I found ID 0x67B0 for the Hawaii chip, which isn't very different to the 0x67B1. Is it possible that just by adding this other ID to the kext, it will work?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@oliverb Best to try. See Command Line Swiss Knife in my signature to fix the kext permissions after modifying the kext so it loads correctly.

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@oliverb Best to try. See Command Line Swiss Knife in my signature to fix the kext permissions after modifying the kext so it loads correctly.

Thanks. I will try, but first I have to rebuy this very card, because I have sold it. No problem as they are enough old AMD card floating around :p

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@mac_editor, I wanted to try it out with a Radeon HD 7770 (ID 0x683d) which is not supported. It was a surprise to me that I actually found this ID in the AMDLegacySupport.kext.
So what's exactly missing here? Because the system won't do nothing with it, while e.g. the HD7870 works very well...

RadeonHD7770 PciDevice AMDLegacyKext
This post was modified 10 months ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@oliverb ID should also be in the appropriate Controller subsection as well. Additionally some AMD GPUs may only show black screen for which there is yet another workaround (which I believe was posted on a German forum) - relates to CFG_USE_AGDC (flip values basically) in the aty_properties section of the controller in question. But as @goalque said previously, some cards were never fully supported - the IDs might be remnants. 

This post was modified 10 months ago

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@oliverb ID should also be in the appropriate Controller subsection as well. Additionally some AMD GPUs may only show black screen for which there is yet another workaround (which I believe was posted on a German forum) - relates to CFG_USE_AGDC (flip values basically) in the aty_properties section of the controller in question. But as @goalque said previously, some cards were never fully supported - the IDs might be remnants. 

Yes, it is in the Controller subsection as well. It's not just a black screen. Just nothing happens. Yes, of cours it may be case that it's just never was supported under MacOSX. I wanted to start to buy a lot of AMD eGPUs and (re)fill the AmdLegacySupport.kext, but this is a setback of course. 🙁

ReplyQuote