2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Break...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [mac_editor]  

of  7
  RSS

3mVideo
(@3mvideo)

thanks! you very much helped me!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Kelvin Tan
(@kelvin_tan)
Estimable Member

Curious as to how you managed to undervolt the memory in your Vega.

So far the general consensus is Vega's memory voltage are hard coded in the BIOS. The memory voltage in wattman etc does nothing but states the floor voltage.

Also another question for you - in your opinion would you go for a blower or fan style GPU for tb3 enclosures?

I've been mulling a _sidegrade_ from a blower style Vega 56 to a fan style 1080Ti for an eGPU build (Mantiz Venus), but am a little hesitant about it because generally fan GPUs tend to do worse(in terms of heat, hence performance) in a small enclosures. What are your thoughts?

X1 Yoga Gen3, X1 Tablet Gen 3, MacBook Pro 15" 2018
Razer Core X / Mantiz Venus
Asrock Radeon VII, Zotac Nvidia 1080Ti Amp Core Extreme, Powercolor Vega 56 reference (flashed to V64 bios)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@kelvin_tan I'm a novice at overclocking/undervolting and my goal was just to reduce power draw. I just looked at this for reference and used Wattman:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6wzd7v/megathread_every_stable_underclockundervolt_of/

If the statement about HBM is true then likely it is only the core clock affecting my temps. then. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think blower-style cards are way too noisy and hotter. Just go for fan cards. They should cool just fine. Enclosures typically have some ventilation for the fans. I don't think one could go wrong either way (I'm satisfied with my blower-style card, but the other fan cards I have are significantly cooler and quieter).

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Kelvin Tan
(@kelvin_tan)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the reply. My reference Vega 56 is running wee toasty so yeah might try the blower 1080ti, since it's it's difficult to get ahold of a reference NVIDIA.

Appreciate all the help and work on egpus!

X1 Yoga Gen3, X1 Tablet Gen 3, MacBook Pro 15" 2018
Razer Core X / Mantiz Venus
Asrock Radeon VII, Zotac Nvidia 1080Ti Amp Core Extreme, Powercolor Vega 56 reference (flashed to V64 bios)

ReplyQuote
donluca
(@donluca)

• I have looked into overclocking/undervolting on macOS and might build a little tool to achieve the same on macOS, but Mojave is generally great at handling the GPU. I am on a 600W supply, which is below the recommendation, but undervolting does make a world of difference.

Any news on this tool for undervolting/overclocking on macOS? 😀

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@donluca Haven't had time to investigate it, and it seemingly relies on retrieving a soft power play table from the Windows registry first (which I'd want to remove as a dependency). Details:  https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/?page=6

In the above link, I'm not sure if modifying the controller is needed (could override with codeless kext). Anyway, patience is all I can offer at this time ;p

Meanwhile you can try the method mentioned at that link.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

donluca liked
ReplyQuote
donluca
(@donluca)

Posted by: mac_editor

@donluca Haven't had time to investigate it, and it seemingly relies on retrieving a soft power play table from the Windows registry first (which I'd want to remove as a dependency). Details:  https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/?page=6

In the above link, I'm not sure if modifying the controller is needed (could override with codeless kext). Anyway, patience is all I can offer at this time ;p

Meanwhile you can try the method mentioned at that link.

Thank you so much  for the reply. I'm close to making the move to a new Mac Mini + eGPU and I'm planning on a Sonnet 350W + Vega 56 and wanted to make sure I get the most out of this combination!  No hurry however, I'm still saving up enough cash 😛

ReplyQuote
hornedfrog
(@hornedfrog)
Trusted Member

To control Vega GPU settings in Mac OSX has anyone tried this extension?  It looks like it has all of the features of AMD Wattman in Windows.  Aimed at Hackintosh.

https://morgonaut.cloud/hackintosh-tutorials/how-to-fix-amd-rx-vega-gpu-in-macos-mojave-hackintosh/

Mac mini 2018/i7/1TB/32GB RAM
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650W. Sapphire Vega 64 - (21275-03-20G card)
OWC Thunderbolt 3 14 port hub
AKiTiO Node Duo, 1 x Patriot Scorch M.2 512G SSD PCI-E 3.0 x 2 drive.

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@mac_editor
Compared to vega 56 what are the main advantages of a Vega 64 apart from higher fps 
Are they justified for the time needed to mod the 64 compared to stock 56? 
Which one would you recommend ? 

A) 2020 MacBook Pro, i7-1038NG7, 32GB RAM, 1TB, EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, Samsung 65 Q70R
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5, Internal Bootcamp Windows 10 2004 pci.sys swap.
B) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

C) 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

D) 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@tsakal For a GPU that needs no config./management and better compatibility (power-wise), the Vega 56 is a better choice. Vega 64 is only slightly better (in games the difference is ever so slightly greater). Vega 64 is good if you're willing to give time to undervolt it or if you have a 650+W PSU. Vega 56 performance can be improved with better voltage too, but it's not required for smooth sailing.

@hornedfrog It didn't seem to work for me - perhaps the kext alone isn't enough on macOS. I'll look into it once I have the time.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
 of  7