2018 14" Dell Latitude 7480 (i7 6600U) + [email protected] (Zotac Box mini) + Win10 [pthr]  

RSS

pthr
 pthr
(@pthr)
June 16, 2018 12:18 pm  

System specs:

Dell Latitude 7480
Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
Intel i7 6600U
16GB RAM
m2 SSD
TB3

eGPU hardware:

Zotac Amp Box mini

Hardware pictures :
Here are some pictures. Note that the GPU is my old GTX1050ti.

Installation steps:
Plug and play.

Benchmarks
CUDA-Z Report
=============
Performance Information
-----------------------
Memory Copy
Host Pinned to Device: 2234.66 MiB/s
Host Pageable to Device: 1553.4 MiB/s
Device to Host Pinned: 2660.2 MiB/s
Device to Host Pageable: 2060.19 MiB/s
Device to Device: 70.1957 GiB/s
GPU Core Performance
Single-precision Float: 4080.06 Gflop/s
Double-precision Float: 133.787 Gflop/s
64-bit Integer: 306.462 Giop/s
32-bit Integer: 1396.03 Giop/s
24-bit Integer: 1047.53 Giop/s

Generated: Sat Jun 16 14:05:56 2018

Cinebench R15: ~72 fps

Unigine Heaven: 

Comments
Don't boot Windows with eGPU plugged in! Otherwise Windows will run slowly. If so: just reboot wihtout eGPU plugged in.
GPU Benchmarks are promising, but I have issues with gaming performance. e.g. PUBG fps drops (high settings) from ~60-80fps to 24fps..
Ring of Elysium only ~30-50fps on Medium settings! Very disappointing.
Probably CPU can only handle light gaming 🙁

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
pogz
 pogz
(@pogz)
Eminent Member
June 20, 2018 3:36 am  

Nice! Been waiting for feedback from the Zotac mini. 

If you have the time, can you re-run your benchmarks using Uniengine Heaven with MSI Afterburner installed? 

My hunch is your bottleneck is the CPU. Installing the overlays through Afterburner and running the benchmark would expose which is having a hard time performing.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
pthr
 pthr
(@pthr)
June 22, 2018 12:34 pm  
Posted by: pogz

Nice! Been waiting for feedback from the Zotac mini. 

If you have the time, can you re-run your benchmarks using Uniengine Heaven with MSI Afterburner installed? 

My hunch is your bottleneck is the CPU. Installing the overlays through Afterburner and running the benchmark would expose which is having a hard time performing.

I've made the benchmark and added the results to the main post. I've noticed that the GPU gets pretty hot, but it has no affect on the frames.

Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Your CPU should be fine, my U class smashes all games @1440.

I hope you're right, but when it's not the GPU, what else could cause bad performance? What GPU to you use?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
loanel
(@loanel)
October 20, 2018 7:13 pm  

Love your setup, im inclined to try it with my dell latitude 7490 (i5-8350u, 16gb ram). I have two questions regarding the amp box:
- are the ports on the back of the gpu accesible when it's in the box, and if they are, have you tried working with an external display? 
- would you still recommend zotac gtx 1060, or are there any better gpus out now or in the future? I supose that the main limiting factors are the size of the box itself and its PSU.

ReplyQuote
(@thomas_baumann)
October 29, 2018 11:04 am  

Im running the Zotac Amp mini box with a GTX 1070. my gtx 1070 can only consume up to 150 watts, but the results are good enough (same performance like a PC with a gtx 1060).

You will need a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter.

I would go with the gtx 1070 (more futureproof), but with the itx one (zotac amp gtx 1070 21cm or gigabyte gtx 1070 17cm).

The ports are accesible. Performance with an external display +20%

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote