Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" Dell Precision 5530 (Q P2000) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (HP...

2018 15" Dell Precision 5530 (Q P2000) [8th,6C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (HP OMEN Accelerator) + Win10 [Defiler]  

RSS

Defiler
(@defiler)
Eminent Member

System specs

Model: 2018 Dell Precision 5530
Laptop Screen: 15" 4K touch
External Screens: 3x acer 27" S271HL 1080p
CPU: i9-8950HK (6 cores with HT Turned off and undervolted)
RAM: 32GB
HD: 1TB Class 50 M.2 NVMe
Integrated GPU: Intel UHD 630 + nVidia Quadro P2000
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X7 w/ Vanatoo Transparent Zero speakers / MassDrop HD6xx cans
TB: TB3 4x lanes
Misc: Macally Vertical Laptop Stand, RSHTECH Powered USB 3.0 7 Port Hub (because the ports on the OMEN drop intermittently)

eGPU hardware

Enclosure: HP OMEN Accelerator w/ included TB3 cable
Video card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID
Mods: Cooler Master V750 PSU, removal of front fan, used existing fan cable as socket for radiator fan, a little drilling here and a little dremeling there.

Hardware pictures

Installation steps
Software

Update to latest BIOS
Install latest TB FW / SW (33.00 / 17.4.77.10)
Install the OMEN Accelerator app

Update to latest OMEN Accelerator FW

Hardware
Where do I begin...
After the initial setup with my older Gigabyte 1080 (non ti) I knew right away the stock PSU had to go. The fan was too noisy for what it was plus it had no power switch. Which meant it was on ALL THE TIME. I read up on a replacement and found out I needed at smaller sized PSU at 140mm or smaller. I had a NiS Cooler Master v750 80+ Gold, fully modular PSU which just happened to be the right size. I lucked out!

I've had this PSU for over a year, as it was a warranty replacement, and I was going to use it in my next "Build". Well, this was the perfect time to use it! So, I took apart the OMEN and replaced it and it was dead silent during normal usage. I had to leave the back off for the time being because the hole for the power cable was in the wrong spot. No biggie for now. It was the Laptop fan that was next on the list to resolve.

First thing I did was turn off hypertheading in the BIOS. Next, I used ThrottleStop to setup a couple of profiles. One for normal use and one for gaming. For normal use I set the multiplier to 16, down from 48, turned on Power Saver and undervolted by 100mV. For gaming, I left everything at default. Now, unless I was gaming, it was REALLY silent. Finally I needed a way to turn it on without having to open the lid. The BIOS had a setting for boot up when power is detected. I enabled it and it works as intended.

Then came the idea of upgrading the video card. I was looking at 2080 non-ti cards and I just couldn't see spending that much over a used 1080 ti for a couple hundred less. My friend had an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID for sale at a very good price and I bought it after I figured I could fit everything inside the OMEN. After a couple of hours of trying one way and another and another, etc. I finally figured out how to get everything in and still have it look clean and function properly but I knew it was going to take some extra steps.

I wanted better air flow to maximize the radiator. I removed the front fan and felt that left enough room up front for the hot radiator air to exhaust. I added some speaker tape to the front of the radiator so I wouldn't get metal on metal noise from vibrations. 

I then mounted the radiator to the inside front after drilling holes for the screws to pass through.

I didn't have proper length screws, so I used spacers from a TV mount. Looks odd with the front case off but you can't see it when the front is mounted.

I then realized a normal 25mm thick fan was not going to fit between the radiator and GPU card. I ordered a 120mm x 15mm Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM, 4-Pin Premium Quiet Slim Fan. I ordered the 4-pin model so I could mod the original proprietary fan cable to use this one while keeping it plugged into the mother board. That way the variable fan speed would still work like the original fan and be controlled by the OMEN as well as have the option of swapping out fans if I wanted to later down the road.

I cut the original fan off the stock wire and stripped them. 

Next, I took one of the extension fan cables, which came with the Noctua, and cut the end off and stripped those wires

Finally, I spliced the wires together with the OMEN fan wires and used heat shrink to keep it all clean.

And here is the fan mounted.

Once the Noctua was mounted in went the 1080 ti...

Definitely a tight fit...

back in with the PSU. I cleaned up the cables and then my attention went toward the back cover.

It was just a matter of using a dremel to make the hole bigger for the power cord and switch. Not my finest work, but I'll clean it up another time.

Benchmarks
Will post more later, but this is what I have so far.

Temps while browsing and watching YouTube on second screen.

And Valley results and temps after 5 consecutive runs.

Let me know what you think!

This topic was modified 8 months ago

Dell Precision 5530 + EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID crammed in an HP OMEN Accelerator

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Just a note: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID should do better than Score 4290 on Valley Extreme HD. Over 5000 is mandatory. I got 5200 with the little brother EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC (just air).
It's becauseof Undervolting?

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Defiler
(@defiler)
Eminent Member

Hmm. I'll need to dig deeper and come back with results.

So, I went through all the builds on this site with a 1080ti and none are showing anything above 4500 on the Valley benchmark. Can you show me what you're doing to get the higher numbers?

This post was modified 8 months ago

Dell Precision 5530 + EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID crammed in an HP OMEN Accelerator

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Defiler

So, I went through all the builds on this site with a 1080ti and none are showing anything above 4500 on the Valley benchmark. Can you show me what you're doing to get the higher numbers?

Here are some of mine:

ValleyWin10GTX1080TiDX11
Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 150cm
Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 50cm
Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 80cm

I do nothing special, because If I did some undervolting this would be the result:

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 GTX1080Ti oc 5403

Honestly, it's every time over 5000, easily.

This is my 1080Ti Build, unfortunately once  I overwrote my opening post :/

The only thing I actually do, is having a really good eGPU with the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2.
But you, dear defiler (Lol), you have the big brother of it, which is anything but slower.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Defiler
(@defiler)
Eminent Member

Could it be because you're using a MBP and not a PC? I wouldn't think that's the issue though. I just don't see where the bottleneck is currently. Any advice would be appreciated.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@defiler The Thunderbolt 3 routing makes a difference. While your Precision 5530 has four PCIe lanes to the Thunderbolt 3 port, this traffic goes through the PCH prior to the CPU. It’s a shared connection with other PCIe peripherals such as NVMe drive. There are only a handful of laptops that have direct TB3 to CPU and the 15″ MacBook Pro is one of them.

With that said, the low performance you’re experiencing is likely due to PCH overheating. The Precision 5530 shares similar construction with XPS 9750 and my guess is there’s no cooling for the PCH chip. In this XPS 9750 + GTX 1080 Ti build I observed huge fluctuations in eGPU performance. I didn’t have enough time and cooling materials to do it properly but you can see a thermal pad helps.

BTW very nice build and making the hybrid cooler fit is a task in the OMEN Accelerator. Can you also add another fan in the stock location so that it becomes push and pull for the radiator?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Defiler
(@defiler)
Eminent Member

Excellent! This is the type of in-depth info only a site like this can provide. Time to crack open the 5530 and take a look and post pics as well for you guys.

And thanks for the props on the setup. I'm still tweaking to try and get better cooling. It's a never ending battle.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Defiler
(@defiler)
Eminent Member

Well, you were correct. The PCH does not have any aid with being cooled.

I ran Valley again watching the temps and they never got above 69 deg., but maybe that was enough to engage throttling. I'm going to order some thermal pads to see if that helps and report back.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ishikawa_goemon
(@ishikawa_goemon)
Trusted Member

@itsage, besides the PCH, do you think proper cooling of the TB3 controller chip on both the laptop mainboard as well as the TB3 board in the EGPU enclosure can also provide similar benefits with regard to improved performance from better thermals and less throttling?

On your provided link (XPS 9570 + 1080ti build), I noticed that further down, you provided a photo showing that the XPS 9370 also had some sort of cooling for the TB3 controller chip soldered on its motherboard. I have an XPS 9570 and plan on performing the PCH cooling modification. However, if you can help me identify where the TB3 controller chip is on the XPS 9570's mainboard and the Razer Core X's TB3 board, provided that there is space, I am happy to try it out and report if there are any measurable improvements to performance.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Defiler
(@defiler)
Eminent Member

Not sure about the core x, but the 9570's PCH chip is highlighted in the orange square.

ReplyQuote
jerry Kansai
(@joi_kansai)
Estimable Member

Posted by: OliverB

Just a note: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID should do better than Score 4290 on Valley Extreme HD. Over 5000 is mandatory. I got 5200 with the little brother EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC (just air).
It's becauseof Undervolting?

No @OliverB, cpu undervolting won’t effect scores worse it’ll be opposite since you’ll get more thermal headroom avoiding throttle. And Unigine isn’t too cpu bounding, more to gpu. It’s because lame TB3 data transfer speed like most laptops with dgpu that’s going through pch first unlike MacBook Pro or ultrabook. He’s getting similar with my 8750h Laptop with dgpu, score a bit higher because I always run on OC.

0DC4DFF1 9297 4AAA A38B 3C33E3721236

Razer Blade 15 2018, i7 8750H 16gb ddr4 2666mhz 1tb 970Evo
Razer Blade Stealth 12,5 2016 i7 7500U 8gb ddr3 1866mhz 500gb 970Evo
MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 i5 3210M 12gb ddr3 1600mhz 500GB HDD
Razer Core V2 rtx 2070 Black 2040mhz Boost clock
Previous setting: rtx 2080ti Asus Turbo, rtx 2080 xc gaming, rtx 2080 Fe, Zotac Mini 1080ti, Evga 1080 FTW2 gaming.
Dual Monitor Predator XB241YU 165Hz 1440p, LG l24UD58 60Hz 4K
Portable Monitor Magedok 1440p HDR 60Hz usbA/C monitor

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
Defiler
(@defiler)
Eminent Member

Just throwing this in the mix too...

When I disconnect my other two displays, I get about 100 more points on Valley.

ReplyQuote
Defiler
(@defiler)
Eminent Member

Got a 3mm thick thermal pad off Amazon and applied a square of it to the PCH. Of course I forgot to take pics...The temps at idle are about 3 deg cooler (hovers around 57-60), but at load it has dropped by over 10-12 deg! It was hitting 80-85 deg and now it stays at 69-71 and never gets higher.

One note, 3mm is still not tall enough for the pad to touch the bottom cover of the 5530. I'm thinking at least 4-5mm, but at that point you could probably get a thin copper HS with double sided heat transfer tape. I saw some 2mm copper HS for nvme drives. You could easily take one of those and cut it down so the footprint is more the size of the PCH.

EDIT: Well, time to order a thicker pad and a heatsink... :/

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

That’s great to hear. Any cooling is better than no cooling.

ReplyQuote
(@chandler_price)

Sorry to hijack, but is there a list somewhere of laptops with direct CPU thunderbolt connection? Am I right in reading into the upcoming 9th gen processors that they will all make use of direct CPU to Thunderbolt connections?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@defiler
Could you resolve your performance issues?

It would be a great pity having one of the greatest GPUs on earth but only getting some 4000+ in Unigine Valley.

You are not supposed to defile the name "EVGA"!
(pfff, sorry, couldn't resist).

This post was modified 7 months ago

ReplyQuote
Defiler
(@defiler)
Eminent Member

Posted by: OliverB

@defiler
Could you resolve your performance issues?

It would be a great pity having one of the greatest GPUs on earth but only getting some 4000+ in Unigine Valley.

You are not supposed to defile the name "EVGA"!
(pfff, sorry, couldn't resist).

Well, after some consideration I abandoned the eGPU route and sold/returned everything (sans the GPU and PSU) and built a mini-itx box. IMO, eGPU configs are somewhat of a compromise. My issues with it were the degraded performance and the fact that with my setup a one cable solution was not possible and I still experienced USB hub issues. I was fed up and what I got back I was able to build a very nice box for less than half the money.

So, maybe I will revisit the eGPU route when Intel integrates the controller, etc. and the bandwidth can handle all the peripherals being plugged into the eGPU case itself.

IMG 20190331 161144

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@defiler Nice ITX build! The eGPU option is definitely a compromise. So are many other choices in life. If your use is mostly stationary, a desktop is certainly way better. There’s a strong appeal in having one laptop that works on the couch, at the desk w/ all peripherals, and anywhere you happen to be. Finding this right laptop is as important as the eGPU configuration itself. Other than the MacBook Pro 15″, many laptops I’ve used were not built with eGPU in mind. Hopefully PC manufacturers recognize the demand and build more eGPU-optimized laptops in the near future.

ReplyQuote
Defiler
(@defiler)
Eminent Member

Posted by: itsage

@defiler Nice ITX build! The eGPU option is definitely a compromise. So are many other choices in life. If your use is mostly stationary, a desktop is certainly way better. There's a strong appeal in having one laptop that works on the couch, at the desk w/ all peripherals, and anywhere you happen to be. Finding this right laptop is as important as the eGPU configuration itself. Other than the MacBook Pro 15", many laptops I've used were not built with eGPU in mind. Hopefully PC manufacturers recognize the demand and build more eGPU-optimized laptops in the near future.

Thanks! Yes, I agree very much. What you described was exactly what I was looking for; one PC/Laptop to rule them all for everywhere...but with what I had, it wasn't the pipe dream I had hoped for. I'm not sour over it as I know it will get there eventually and I'll most likely revisit it. I'll be sure to return here as well when that does happen.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@itsage my laptop actually has 3 use cases now thanks to eGPU's...

1. As a laptop on the go/couch/garden.
2."PC"gaming in Windows, linked to a Vega56 and monitor.
3. Couch/Console gaming linked to an RX 560, TV and Xbox one X controller.

One main device for everthing!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote