System: Dell XPS 13 (9370)

• 13" FHD
  • Core i7-8550u / 16 GB / 512 GB NVMe
  • Windows 10

eGPU hardware

Hardware pictures

Very basic first time setting it all up - not final 🙂

Installation steps

• Install hardware in Mantiz Venus (GPU + SSD)
  • Plug in
  • Install nvidia driver
  • done!

Benchmarks

Comments

Nothing to really tell yet - very happy with how it all worked basically plug and play even with the ancient GTX760 (yes yes, I'll get something else).

Big shout out to Mantiz - incredibly quick responses via their support e-mail ahead of purchase and ridiculously fast shipping. After being posted, the enclosure was with me after less than two days (HK -> Germany).

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

Findus, theitsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Findus
(@findus)
April 28, 2018 12:25 pm  

Hi, that looks like a really nice build!

I'm thinking about getting the same build as you, and I have a question about the fan noise.

Without a Thunderbolt-Dock, my xps generally kept quiet while doing light tasks, like browsing or watching youtube videos, but with it connected, the fan was a bit noisier.
I also only have the I5-model so I am a bit worried that a 4 Core i7 will make the problem even worse.

Generally it would be fine for me, if the fan does not spin up, while the system idles, because I also tested a Lenovo Ideapad, which was around 60-70% Fan-Speed all the time, the dock was connected, which was a total dealbreaker for me.

If the fan noise is bearable, it would be the perfect fit, so how is your experience so far?

Thanks in advance

Findus

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
maxtd
(@maxtd)
May 3, 2018 12:59 pm  

So far the fan noise from the XPS has been totally fine. The case-fan of the Mantiz combined with my GPU usually drowns out the noise from the XPS if there's load on the system in terms of 3D applications, so it's not been an issue at all. Also the noise from the XPS isn't very noticeable, even under high stress, at least for me (since it's entirely the sound of the rushing air).

Something I have noticed, but this is due to my ancient GTX760 (yay for prices slowly coming down): if the XPS is off, the fans of my GPU keep spinning (and, since they're so old, making ticking noises at lowest rpm) and only stop once I unplug the TB connection. This is a bit annoying, but I am sure something that will go away once I upgrade the GPU.

ReplyQuote
cradford94
(@cradford94)
May 3, 2018 2:51 pm  

I see that you installed an SSD for your eGPU. Did you load windows bootcamp onto it and if so did you load windows before or after mounting it in the eGPU? I have a mantiz as well with an AMD RX 580 and Samsung 500 SSD. When I install windows onto the external drive, the first time I try to open it it gets stuck on the bootup logo.

ReplyQuote
maxtd
(@maxtd)
May 7, 2018 9:15 am  

No OS on the SSD for me, just games and other data. The XPS runs Win10 from the factory, so no need.
Best of luck to you - I know how frustrating this must be.

ReplyQuote
(@eltocino)
May 22, 2018 8:12 pm  

Nice build, thinking about getting the similar or with the XPS15.
Do you only connect the single thunderbolt cable or do you have to connect the charger too?

I read that the shipping worked beatifully for you. I hope thats the same with switzerland. We almost have no eGPU options except the HP Omen and ASUS XG Station 2. So worldwide shipping on the Mantiz sounds appealing.

ReplyQuote
maxtd
(@maxtd)
July 9, 2018 7:00 pm  

Sorry for the long wait...
I only connect the single cable, that takes care of all charging etc. And yes, the shipping was a total blast 🙂

I now have issues though... yesterday, I installed a bios update (after which everything went fine) and today a bunch of Windows 10 updates. Now the egpu does not connect anymore. I've rebooted a few times, but the TB connection does not seem to make it. The enclosure still "starts up" when I connect the cable, but nothing happens except for charging...

and fixed 🙂 windows updates seem to have screwed up something with the TB connection - changed some bios settings re: security and it all works fine again.

ReplyQuote