2018 (Gem Cut) HP Spectre X360 13 + [email protected] (Gaming Box) + Win10 [clegg]  

RSS

clegg
(@clegg)
November 27, 2018 6:13 pm  

(first time posting one of these... so let me know if I screwed anything up :))

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)

• Late 2018 spec Gem Cut HP Spectre X360 13
  • i7-8565U ( Whiskey Lake)
  • Intel UHD 620 iGPU
  • 16GB Ram
  • 512GB SSD
  • Windows 10 1803
  • Running the latest TB drivers (17.4.77.x)  the v16 drivers were very unstable on this install with a variety of kinds of USB port Power Surge errors and BSODs

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

• Gigabyte/Aorus Gaming Box
  • Nvidia GTX 1070
  • Connected to External 21:9 ratio monitor via Displayport - Audio going over that.
  • Stock .5m TB3 cable (1M cable ordered)
  • Stock Fans (for now, Noctua fans ordered)
  • Firmware 1.3 (Fan) and H2D firmware updated
  •  USB-A ports used for 2 USB 3 Hubs, and a USB3 to Gig Ethernet connection.  So far not terribly laggy or issues. 

Hardware pictures :

Installation steps :

• Stock HP Install (just upgraded the install to Windows Pro)  Ran Windows update and the HP update tools.
  • Installed the Aorus engine tools (downloaded from the Gigabyte website) 
  • Plugged in the Gaming box and installed the Nvidia drivers. 
  • It worked.    But noticed compared to other pics that the bandwidth was lower than expected, so I fought with updating the gaming box to the H2D firmware...   Had to use the RX580 firmware (since the gaming box is just named "Gaming Box" in the TB interface the 1070 firmware wouldnt ID it) after downgrading to the 16.2 TB app and drivers.  This was unstable due to the 16.2 seemingly not being happy on this machine.  But stable enough to upgrade the firmware then.  

Upgraded back to the stable 17.4 TB app from there. 

• Ran into a variety of issues so far with unplugging the TB cable and having the laptop report "USB Port Power Surge" endlessly saying a port was demanding more power than it could supply.   No event log entries for it...    Also if disconnecting a TB cable, and even waiting for it to fully "undock", and putting it into a different TB port on the laptop results in BSODs. 
  •  

Benchmarks :

Comments :

• The implementation hasn't been as straight forward as I thought it would be, and you can tell there is some shakiness in this setup.  I just set it up last night so I have more run time to do on it.  And this is a brand new ultrabook that just released 2 days ago to people and one of the first with the Whiskey Lake processor.   So I am guessing there is going to be some learning curves here.  
  • The gaming box is annoying as hell in terms of noise.   Getting a longer cable, and replacing some fans to move it under my desk.
  • The RBG Fusion app has yet to work even once.    The quality of the apps and such from Gigabyte/Aorus are really questionable. 
  • The price was right, $499 for this setup, and Amazon even offered free payments spread out over a few months.   cant argue with that. 
  • I want to use this gaming box as a docking station essentially, and so far its doing it.  Besides for some weird glitches with the keyboard/mouse on it... I haven't had any issues. 
  • Came from a Surface Pro 4 i7, this new setup with the new Spectre and the eGPU have made Lightroom/Photoshop and various games I pay MUCH more workable. 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
clegg
(@clegg)
November 27, 2018 7:32 pm  

So  - Shortly after posting this, I disconnected the Gaming box from the Hp to test the process of connecting/disconnecting and such... and it wont come around anymore.   Somewhat locks up the HP when its connected, the video card is detected, but only somewhat, and shows disabled when it does.   Resetting the HP now back to factory and starting over to see if I can remedy this

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
November 27, 2018 8:03 pm  

@clegg - Here is what works for when my AORUS box decides to fly out of the coop. I run it with a Spectre x360 (the previous 13" model, square one, with the i7-8550U). Typically it happens after a sudden disconnect, or a long time when it was connected to power but the system itself was off.
1) Disconnect the AORUS from power and the laptop for a minute or so.
2) Shut down the laptop.
3) Boot the laptop WITHOUT the AORUS connected.
4) Connect the power to the AORUS.
5) Connect the TB3 cable to the laptop.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
clegg
(@clegg)
November 27, 2018 11:36 pm  

I gave that a go,  no love.   it knocks everything off the USB ports on the machine when it plugs in.  Its very very weird.   Best I can figure is the 580 firmware fucked it up badly after a swapping of a connection.    New  replacement is already ordered through Amazon.   The box never really worked 100% for me anyway (and the box wasn't clearly sealed when I got it... left me wondering if someone else played with it first) , so I am hoping a the new replacement will behave better.

For the bit it did work, it was fun 🙂   I'll report back in a couple weeks when the replacement is in (waiting on Amazon to restock)

ReplyQuote