2018 HP Spectre 13 + GTX 1080 [email protected] (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1803 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 21, 2018 7:46 pm  

Here's another build with the ASUS XG Station Pro + STRIX GTX 1080 Ti. This eGPU setup stays exceptionally quiet even during heavy load. 

System specs:

HP Spectre 13 - i7-8550U/UHD Graphics 620 iGPU/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

ASUS XG Station Pro + STRIX GTX 1080 Ti + 1.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

ASUS used this same GPU to demo the XG Station Pro at CES 2018 so there was no issues getting this setup going in Windows 10. It was plug-and-play with the HP Spectre 13. I was more curious in the software utilities ASUS provides on its support website. The first is AURA Light Tool to adjust or turn off the RGB of this XG Station Pro. When paired with an ASUS GPU that has AURA support, you can sync the RGB of both enclosure and graphics card. It's also possible to control the light zone individually.

A primary selling point of the XG Station Pro is the 0dB operation mode. In this mode the two 120mm fans stay off when ambient temperature inside the enclosure is under 55˚C. Tweak II is a software utility that provides finer tuning of the STRIX graphics card that also has 0dB mode. Paired together, this is one silent killer of an eGPU setup.

Benchmarks:

I ran Unigine benchmarks in both internal display and external monitor.

Internal Display External Monitor

Comments:

The GTX 1080 Ti is a 4K gaming card so I will be pairing this eGPU with Alienware 15R3 and 4K monitor next.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

Vamp07 liked
ReplyQuote