2018 HP Spectre 13 + Radeon Vega [email protected] (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1803 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 16, 2018 2:33 am  

We're looking for more confirmation of Intel 8th gen CPU ultrabooks that have both 4 PCIe lanes and OPI 4 GT/s. Our ultrabook buying guide currently lists 5 but it's growing quickly. @stevieesummers shared the Lenovo Yoga 730 has this desirable configuration for eGPU use. We can now add the HP Spectre 13 to this list.

System specs:

HP Spectre 13 - i7-8550U/UHD Graphics 620 iGPU/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

ASUS XG Station Pro + Radeon Vega FE + 1.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

In order to power the Vega FE with the XG Station Pro, I needed to combine two 330W power bricks using the Y adapter (engineering sample from ASUS). This power supply configuration provides 600W max power to the GPU and there's no issues under heavy load.

The Vega Frontier Edition has dual driver option in which you can install the Radeon Pro drivers first then switch to using the Adrenalin Gaming drivers. I noticed a marginal improvement in Unigine benchmarks with gaming drivers vs pro drivers.

Benchmarks:

Intel Thunderbolt Software showed this HP Spectre 13 is eGPU-certified. Here are the screen captures for AIDA64 and HWiNFO64 confirming 4 PCIe lanes and OPI 4 GT/s mode. I ran Unigine in both internal display and external monitor.

Internal Display External Monitor

Comments:

I tried the older HP Spectre 13 last year with R9 Fury + AKiTiO Node. That laptop also had 4 PCIe lanes and OPI 4 GT/s mode. It came with a dual core 7th gen CPU instead of a quad core CPU in this latest model. This new iteration has a smaller footprint and some refinements. I remember the trackpad of last year Spectre was sticky. The new trackpad is glass surface and works much better. The display is now touch vs. non-touch in the old one. Overall the HP Spectre 13 is a really nice ultrabook.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

Benjamin Benson, mois, 4chip4 and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
mois
 mois
(@mois)
Trusted Member
August 4, 2018 5:21 pm  

@theitsage, where did you get the Y adapter, would it be possible to get one also?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
August 4, 2018 7:00 pm  

@mois This Y power joining adapter is an engeering sample. ASUS is working on making it as an accessories if there's enough demand. We're working with ASUS to offer forum members a group buy on the XG Station Pro.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
DannyKrabs
(@dannykrabs)
August 13, 2018 12:08 am  
Posted by: theitsage

@mois This Y power joining adapter is an engeering sample. ASUS is working on making it as an accessories if there's enough demand. We're working with ASUS to offer forum members a group buy on the XG Station Pro.

Just in case: If/When there's a way to get that adapter, please let me know. I have the XG Station Pro now, too, and would like to put a Vega 64 in it.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Estimable Member
November 22, 2018 10:38 am  
Posted by: DannyKrabs
Posted by: theitsage

Just in case: If/When there's a way to get that adapter, please let me know. I have the XG Station Pro now, too, and would like to put a Vega 64 in it.

Same for me! I would like to put a Vega 64 in my XG Station Pro.
@itsage Is there any way to obtain such adapter now?

macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-asus-xg-station-pro-evga-gtx-1080-ti
2018-15-macbook-pro-rp560x-rtx2080ti32gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro

early-2015-13-macbook-pro-gtx1080ti-11gb16gbps-tb2-asus-xg-station-pro-via-tb3-tb2-adapter

early-2015-13-macbook-pro-rtx2080ti-11gb16gbps-tb2-asus-xg-station-pro-via-tb3-tb2-adapter

2018-15-macbook-pro-rp560x-vega5632gbps-tb3-asus-xg-station-pro
macbook-pro-15-2018-i7-razer-core-x-evga-gtx-1080-ti-2
macbook-pro-15inch-2018-aorus-gaming-box-gtx1080

ReplyQuote
Benjamin Benson
(@benjamin_benson)
December 9, 2018 12:12 pm  

@itsage any updates on the adapter availability? Also this means being able to buy the 2nd external PSU, right?  I wouldn't need one right now (still in decision phase what egpu to buy at all), but it would be nice to know that this setup is upgradable to some extend. Otherwise one would be limited to that 300Watt for GPUs forevery (since there's no chance to upgrade iSFX/iATX).

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Radeon Pro 555 2048 MB, Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB + 8GB Asus Radeon RX Vega 56 ROG Strix OC + ???

Looking for a perfect eGPU fit. Recommendations welcome! 🙂

ReplyQuote