Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macO...

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [semohe] // external ssd  

RSS

semohe
(@semohe)

System specs
2018 Mac mini 3 GHz Intel Core i5
intel UHD 630
Mojave
samsung monitor s27r750
samsung evo 860 1 tb external ssd (Ugreen usb-c enclosure)

eGPU hardware 
Sonnet Breakaway box 550
Radeon Vega 56 8gb
TB3

Hardware pictures 

IMG 20190826 211150
IMG 20190826 211120
IMG 20190826 211021

Installation steps 
Mac OS : just plug and play as usual

Windows :
I'm planning to repeat my previous egpu installations success with imac 21" using mikeal's clover boot
but somehow MaciASL is not working on Mac mini. so I have to find another way.
first, I tried to do normal installation
- connect monitor via hdmi
- plug external ssd to thunderbolt port (later I realise that Mac mini thinks that there's another monitor plugged in)
- install windows external ssd using wintousb on VMware.
- download bootcamp software from bootcamp utilities 
- boot to windows using option key (it's not easy on Mac mini using magic keyboard. you need to find the right timing)
- install bootcamp driver, somehow it doesn't complete and freeze when installing virtual usb. so I install manually at least until the wifi is working. after that download all the windows update and restart. 
  you might want to hold control button when selecting boot drive at the selection boot drive screen, so it will always boot into windows during the windows installation process. 
- plug in egpu thunderbolt cable to the nearest Lan port without connecting to any monitor
- wait until windows detecting something, then install the latest radeon Vega driver
- shutdown 
- plug in the monitor to egpu via DisplayPort ,  I was hoping the system will detect as dual display monitor, and then I can mirror them. (on Mac mini it's working as I was expecting)
- boot to windows, and tadaaaaa "error 12" appear!

after few hours of reading eGPU.io I find out that Mac mini's HDMI output is consuming a lot of memory resources. so the next thing I did are :
- disconnect egpu
- change external ssd cable from usb-c type to the normal usb type cable 
- make default boot to windows. (hold control button when selecting the boot drive at the boot selection screen)
- shutdown
- unplug the HDMI from the monitor and the Mac mini
- Plug in the egpu to the monitor using DisplayPort or HDMI 
- plug in the egpu thunderbolt cable to the Mac mini to the tb3 port nearest to the lan port
- turn on egpu then turn on Mac
- done
everything works amazing, I'm so happy with the result.
the good thing using external ssd for windows is, when you are going to boot to the  Mac, just unplug the windows ssd drive. the system will automatically boot to the Mac on the main drive. and every time  you want to boot to windows just plug it back in the windows ssd. it is hard to use option selection screen boot. because you can't see the booting process. not at least cortana update. 

Benchmarks 
result on mac os

IMG 20190821 130812

result on windows

IMG 20190824 154301
IMG 20190824 160047

Thank you eGpu.io

semohe

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Great set up! I love those new Samsung monitors too - how are you finding it? Any gaming benchmarks you could share?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
semohe
(@semohe)

@eightarmedpet

Hi, i love the samsung monitor, it was quite difficult to find a gaming monitor with a good simple design style. Mostly are futuristic type. But the downside is the default color profile on mac is way off. You need to download the color profile from Here

I dont have any gaming benchmark yet, but I tried playing shadows of tomb raider on ultra settings and it was gorgeous. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote