2018 15" MacBook Pro RP560X + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS10.14 & Win10 [mushinskyy]  

RSS

mushinskyy
(@mushinskyy)
October 31, 2018 9:14 pm  

System specs

• 2018 15" MacBook Pro (Radeon 560X, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB)
  • Intel i9, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD
  • macOS Mojave 10.14
  • Dual LG 27" 4K 60hz DisplayPort monitors

eGPU hardware

• Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650
  • Sapphire Reference Vega 64 HBM2 8Gb
  • Stock Sonnet PSU + TB3 cable

Hardware pictures 

(will add later)

Installation steps OSX

Nothing! worked out of the box, plugged in and viola!

Installation steps Bootcamp Windows 10 Pro

Now this is where it gets tricky, but I did manage to get it work with the 2018 Plug and Play, although it took some time to figure out the installation steps. 

• Install Bootcamp using Bootcamp Assistant normally with the eGPU disconnected.
  • Boot into Bootcamp and install Bootcamp drivers.
  • Restart.
  • Hot plug the enclosure into the left side TB3 port (either will do).
  • Wait for windows to detect and install the card. Opening device manager should list Radeon 560X with a yellow punctuation mark and opening it should display "Windows is uninstalling the driver for this device" or something of the sorts, and there should be an additional listing for RX Vega which should display "This device is working properly". This may take some time to detect and install. 
  • Once that's done, you restart again, this time with the box plugged in. DO NOT connect any other USBC cable or the machine won't boot (no idea why).
  • At this point, you'll be logged into Windows with the cable plugged in and the displays up and running through the eGPU. Woohoo! you can now plug in any other USBC cable (wait for Windows to load first). The next boots should not require this step.
  • You'll notice the internal display is dark with no image, I've yet to solve this but I don't use it anyway when it's plugged in so I don't mind. 
  • You can now download the latest driver from AMD, unpack it and manually install it using device manager -> update driver on the RX Vega entry. Be sure to select the RX Vega driver inf file from the unpacked driver installer as AMD's tool will not recognise the card automatically for some reason. 
  • That's it!

Comments

To be completely honest, this setup is a dream and once you get through the boot sequence install step it's amazing how plug and play it is. It works like a charm and I can play my graphics intensive games easily even at 4K for some optimised titles.
So far Call of Duty Black Ops 4 runs perfectly in 2160p at max settings and at 4K at lower settings. 
I've never actually believed this could be pulled off, so it's incredible how eGPUs work so well in 2018. It's also great under macOS both as a one cable for charging and dual monitor setup and both for macOS gaming (yes, that's right!). 

The best part is both OSs have the i9 at around 70 degrees celsius, which is incredible compared to when the internal GPU is active (90-100!!!), so no more overheating. 

Now to play some FPS games!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote