Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" Lenovo Yoga 730 (GTX1050) [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Cor...

2018 15" Lenovo Yoga 730 (GTX1050) [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1809 [charlbarl]  

RSS

charlbarl
(@charlbarl)

Topic title

2018 Lenovo Yoga 730 (GTX 1050) + RTX 2060 @ 32 Gbps-TB3 (Core X Chroma) + Win10 1809

System specs 

I've had my Lenovo Yoga 730 for a while now. It is a beast of a laptop and I love how it fits any situation. It has a i5-8250U, a built-in GTX 1050, a 15" 1080p screen, and one TB3 port (which it unfortunately can't charge over). It runs Windows 10 1809 and I mostly  use it for general personal use, streaming, gaming, etc. With the GTX 1050, this game can comfortably run KSP, Civ V and 6, Rust, and even GTA5 (this is usually kinda unstable). However, I have recently started a new job and had some money to put towards a new setup, so I looked into an eGPU.

eGPU hardware 

I decided to go with a Core X Chroma for its extra ports and an RTX 2060. The RTX 2060 has received a lot of bad reviews, but I don't understand it. It gives you better performance than a GTX 1070 and ray tracing capability for only $325. I think it's the best value card out there right now.

I also bought an AOC 27B1H to supplement my AOC E2351F and it is a remarkable monitor! Both of the monitors are 1080p with 60 Hz refresh, which becomes the bottleneck for my system in most situations, but I think it's great quality.

Oh, one more thing. I just ordered a Logitech G915... It hasn't gotten here yet but I can't believe I spent $250 on a keyboard lol. 

Hardware pictures

Put some pictures here of my set-up. I love that there aren't any visible cables (except for the laptop on the side, which I plan on stowing in a shelf on the desk).

Installation steps 

Installation included:
1.) Taking everything out of packaging (the longest step)
2.) Install RTX 2060 in Core X Chroma and connect power
3.) Plug in power and monitors to Core X Chroma
4.) Plug in TB3 cable to laptop and Core X Chroma
5.) End

Benchmarks 

Cuda-Z and Unigine Benchmarks

Comments
My personal set-up can now run virtually any game at 1080p60! I have tried ray-tracing in Wolfenstein: Youngblood, which was a great experience. I have high hopes for ray tracing in BF5 which I am going to buy soon, I think.
The dock nature of the Core X Chroma also makes the set-up so comfortable and easy to grab my laptop from.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote