2018 Lenovo Yoga 920 Vibes + Gigabyte Aorus Nvidia GTX1070 Gaming Box + Win10  

RSS

DemonDM
(@demondm)
October 16, 2018 11:04 am  

System specs 

Lenovo Yoga 920 Vibes edition.
Intel Kaby Lake-R Core i7-85500U CPU, 16 GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 4K screen.

External hardware- Wireless Logitec KB and mouse, LG 19x10 monitor.

eGPU hardware 

Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070 Gaming box

Hardware pictures 

opening pic only

Installation steps

Pretty straight forward. eGPU recognised out of the box. Just downloaded drivers and 1.3 firmware from Gigabyte website. Take note of need to revert the Intel thunderbolt driver back to earlier version before install - notes are in the driver download. LED colour changing app with the Aorus utility was a bit buggy, but have reinstalled to see if it improves.

As seems usual, even with firmware update, the GPU PSU fan will run if the TB3 cable is plugged into a laptop, even if its shut down. I just pull the cable out.

Benchmarks 

No official benchmarks run yet.

Comments

So far only played Battletech on max settings on both the 4k screen and external monitor no problems.
BTW, the Yoga 920 will also play Halflife 2 at 4K natively as long as you don't have any fancy GPU intensive settings on like antialiasing.

Overall really happy with it and how easy it was to get going. Can't wait to play some more games on it.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
rosshar@hotmail.com
(@rossharhotmail-com)
November 10, 2018 4:10 pm  

Hi,

My setup is the same as yours. Your post was very helpful, as the AORUS installation CD sent to me was corrupted, and I had to do everything by downloading from various vendor sites. So far I haven't heard anything back from AORUS after requesting support over a week ago. I've had to figure out everything on my own.

I wanted to know how hot your Yoga 920 gets when playing games, and if your AORUS egpu install had less heating on the 920 than before? I thought installing the AORUS external GPU would significantly reduce heating on the Yoga 920 laptop, but so far it is the same. If you also still have heating issues, what type of cooling/fan do you use? I have a lot of heat at the top of my keyboard in the center. 

Since I had the corrupted CD, I had to download the Thunderbolt firmware from www.gigabyte.com. There are several versions there and I didn't know which to choose from. Did you ever go to that website and do any downloads? If so which would you choose? 

Here's the website I went to:
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXEB-8GD#support-dl-firmware

Thanks

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote