2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.3 & ...

Notifications

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 1903  

RSS

(@maijo_jacob)

System Specs:

1. 2018 Mac mini - i5-8500B/UHD Graphics 630 iGPU/32GB RAM/256 GB SSD
  2. BenQ 27" 1080P Monitor x 2
  3. 1TB NVME M.2 External Hard Drive connected via USB C (for storing games)
  4. 6TB External Hard Drive connected via USB C (for backup)

Operating System:

1. macOS Catalina 10.15.3
  2. Win10 Pro Version 1903, build 18362.356 (via Bootcamp)

eGPU Hardware:

1. Razer Core X+ AMD RX 580 (8GB)
  2. Razer Core X supplied TB3 cable
  3. Display Port to HDMI Cable x 2

Installation:

I. Mac OS 10.15.3

1. Connect all the cables and run in Mac OS
  2. Mac OS will recognize the eGPU and you have the option to disconnect the graphics card

II. Windows 10 Professional Version 1903, build 18362.356

Items to Download:

Installation Process:

1. Connected my Mac Mini to my monitor using the HDMI cable

2. Installed Windows 10 Professional 1903 using Bootcamp

3. Ran Windows in Safe mode

4. Opened Display Driver Uninstaller ("DDU") and selected these options 

5. Ran DDU three times to remove any pesky driver issues.

6. Restarted the computer in normal mode

7. Removed the HDMI connection from the Mac Mini and connected the eGPU to the monitor (hot plug) so that Windows recognizes the eGPU

8. Installed the graphics card drivers from the bootcampdrivers.com. Got a warning that the drivers were installed but Windows had some issue (Error 12)

9. Important - Disabled PCIe x16 - 1901 - Otherwise Windows won't boot

10. Restarted the computer 

Issues

• I had Windows 10 Professional Version 1909 installed. No matter what I tried, it would recognize the eGPU but even after following these steps it would not go into the dreaded error 12
  • When I turn on the machine with the eGPU I always get a weird graphics card screen but other than that it boots normally. I am guessing this is related to the Displayport to HDMI cable issue as I have noticed this even booting in macOS.

(Update with a screenshot)

Comments

I can include benchmark if needed.

This topic was modified 2 days ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

skatendo and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@maijo_jacob, Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing this 2018 Mac mini build. Have you tried using the modified apple_set_os v0.5 to help resolve error 12? If that doesn’t work, revert back to using Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO and keep it at 18362.30 – .295.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@maijo_jacob)

@itsage, Thank you!!!

I wanted to try it but I am using a wireless Keyboard and Mouse and Mac Mini won't let me start in Startup Manager. The Option key does not get recognized when I start my mac. I decided instead of getting a new Keyboard and dreaded feeling of going to get a new Keyboard (COVID - 19), I will try to find a workaround with my existing setup.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@maijo_jacob, The nice thing about modified apple_set_os v0.5 is that it requires no user interaction at all. Once you set it up per the instructions, it will load up at every boot and go into Windows. You can then use either Boot Camp utility in Windows to switch to macOS or System Preferences > Startup Disk in macOS to switch to Windows.

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Eminent Member

@maijo_jacob

Concerning a workaround / the visibility of the start-up option -> If you are using the Apple Magic Keyboard you can connect it with the Mac Mini via the charging cable. In this case the option key works during boot-up. Did you try this?

Success

This post was modified 3 days ago

Now: Mac Mini 2018 + PowerColor Mini Pro 240FU + AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB / Mac OS 10.15.4 + Win 10 1909
Before: Mac Mini 2014 + AKiTiO Node Lite (modif) + TB2->TB3 - EVGA Geforce GTX 1050Ti MacOS 10.13.6 + Win 10

ReplyQuote
(@maijo_jacob)

@hans-st, I have a Logitech MX Keys and I called Apple and Logitech to see if there was a way for me to use the Option Key when booting up. Apple said you have to connect to the mac via a cable but that didn't work and Logitech couldn't find a solution.

ReplyQuote
(@maijo_jacob)

@itsage, I tried even logging into macOS recovery mode but because of my Keyboard, I am not able to access the recovery mode (Command (⌘) and R). I tried using a terminal command to boot into recovery mode but for some reason the Startup Security Utility through this method won't let me access it using this command.

sudo nvram "recovery-boot-mode=unused"

sudo reboot 

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Eminent Member

@maijo_jacob

Did you do a regular install process (hot plug in of the eGPU withHDMI cable to monitor, HDMI connection Mac Mini - monitor still attached - monitor switched on HDMI, let windows install all drivers, install current original Adrenalin driver, shut down, Power on, all connections still on) before you started the work-around? Because I have - except the Razor Core X, the same build. However, in my system the Mac Mini is connected via a HDMI cable to the monitor and the eGPU with a DP to mDP to the monitor. It was not a real challenge to get it running.

Cheers

Now: Mac Mini 2018 + PowerColor Mini Pro 240FU + AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB / Mac OS 10.15.4 + Win 10 1909
Before: Mac Mini 2014 + AKiTiO Node Lite (modif) + TB2->TB3 - EVGA Geforce GTX 1050Ti MacOS 10.13.6 + Win 10

ReplyQuote
(@maijo_jacob)

@hans-st

Maybe the issue in the 1909 build was I didn't disable PCIe x16 - 1901

ReplyQuote
skatendo
(@skatendo)

Great build! Nothing has worked for me, and I have tried the RED drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, but I'll give your download a try. I'm assuming you put your thunderbolt 3 cable to your eGPU closest to the ethernet then? As I think 1901 is for the port closest to HDMI. 

Core i7 8700 2018 Mac Mini 16GB RAM Razer Core X Vega 64

ReplyQuote
(@maijo_jacob)

@skatendo, The thunderbolt cable is plugged in to second from Ethernet cable. I couldn't figure out what 1901 was but looking through the forum someone mentioned it was related to 10Gbps Ethernet connection. However, my internet connection has not reduced and right now I am still using all my ports.

The other ports are being used by USB C hard drives.

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Eminent Member

@itsage

I am confused.

Is this build now running or not?

If it is not running, why is it already listed in the builds?

Cheers

ReplyQuote
(@maijo_jacob)

@hans-st, it is running. I am using it right now. I think @itsage was saying I should have used modified apple_set_os v0.5

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Eminent Member

@maijo_jacob

Thank you for clarifying.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
skatendo
(@skatendo)

@Maijo Jacob I can't thank you enough. All I had to do was disable port 1901! Everything works perfectly now! 

Core i7 8700 2018 Mac Mini 16GB RAM Razer Core X Vega 64

ReplyQuote
(@maijo_jacob)

@skatendo, Happy to help  Smile  

skatendo liked
ReplyQuote
(@luca_hahn)

Hello!

Since this is a Mac mini thread i thought I might ask a question here about a similar set tup 

I'm on a Mac mini 2018 with Bootcamp Windows 1903 installed and a RX580 Inside the razer core x as well. I'm running apple_set_os.efi to get my egpu running and it works, but the hdmi port from egpu display a desktop that is behaving like a second screen. I can slide some Windows to it but all the apps pops out on the "main screen" which is the mac mini hdmi port. Any idea how i could get the same image displayed on both ports, or just setting the rx580 as the main display. 
Thank you

This post was modified 2 days ago

Pending: Mac Mini 2018 Intel core i5 -8500B CPU @ 3Ghz / Intel graphic 630 UHD/ Razer Core X/ Pulse Sapphire Radeon RX580/ Mac os 1.14.6/ Bootcamp Windows 1903 on internal SSD 500Go my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
urzh
 urzh
(@urzh)

Are you using modified apple_set_os v0.5 or not? Are you just doing everything above to get your eGPU to work while plugged into your mini and able to display booting to Mac or Boot Camp without unplugging anything?

ReplyQuote
(@luca_hahn)

I am using modiefied apple_set_os v5 i believe yes. And for the second question also yes i boot with apple_set_os then plug the egpu to thunderbolt 3 beside the ethernet port. It gets detected and then boot into Windows fans fire up in the process then stop arriving on the desktop, no error 12.

But When I plug the hdmi to the egpu, I get a "copy" of my desktop in wich i can slide windows in, but when I launch a game it is still displayed on the mac mini port. I have set the game on high perfomance in the graphics settings, and there I can see high performance card is RX580 so… I don't know.

Pending: Mac Mini 2018 Intel core i5 -8500B CPU @ 3Ghz / Intel graphic 630 UHD/ Razer Core X/ Pulse Sapphire Radeon RX580/ Mac os 1.14.6/ Bootcamp Windows 1903 on internal SSD 500Go my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@maijo_jacob)

@luca_hahn, I think this is more to do with Windows rather than the GPU. Does your display setting say RX 580 is you primary display?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@luca_hahn, Not sure why you are using both. The most reliable Boot Camp procedure for me is the modified apple_set_os v0.5 alongside Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO. It has worked for several months now at every boot. I disabled automatic update in Windows 10 to keep the build version at 18362.295. The 2018 Mac mini has gone through many macOS system updates but no interferences with Boot Camp.

ReplyQuote
urzh
 urzh
(@urzh)

Posted by: @itsage

@luca_hahn, Not sure why you are using both. The most reliable Boot Camp procedure for me is the modified apple_set_os v0.5 alongside Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO. It has worked for several months now at every boot. I disabled automatic update in Windows 10 to keep the build version at 18362.295. The 2018 Mac mini has gone through many macOS system updates but no interferences with Boot Camp.

Agreed, I got it work now with v0.5 apple set OS. I'm plugged in directly to my eGPU via HDMI from my monitor and of course the Thunderbolt 3 port is plugged into my Mac Mini thunderbolt (next to ethernet).

However, how can I only use my eGPU to boot from either MAC or BOOT CAMP? It looks like holding alt doesn't bring up the MAC or WINDOWS selection. Anyone have a solution to this?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@urzh, Use Startup Disk in macOS and Boot Camp Utility in Windows to switch back and forth.

ReplyQuote
urzh
 urzh
(@urzh)

@itsage, thanks

ReplyQuote
urzh
 urzh
(@urzh)

Btw, your site is great, thanks for helping others on it. The amazon affiliate plugin you use that searches for products and links them in all posts must work well for you...i run many sites and first time ive seen something like this

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@urzh, That is @nando4‘s excellent work! 

ReplyQuote
(@luca_hahn)

@itsage I think I got confused I'm only using modified apple_set_os.efi, I found on a build from @sdedalus1 then I installed the original drivers from Amd to great result as well to counter act error 12. And @maijo_jacob I thought so too, in the Advanced display settings I still have Intel UHD 630 as primary display but I see no option to change it. 

ReplyQuote
(@maijo_jacob)

@luca_hahn, I am saying why don't you select the monitor that is your RX580 and select that as your main display.

ReplyQuote
(@luca_hahn)

@maijo_jacob If you are talking about the display settings Under the system setting in Windows*. Under multiple display, it says no other monitor detected. Do you think pluggin 2 monitors at the same time would do the trick of accessing the setting?

*French version of windows

ReplyQuote
(@maijo_jacob)

@luca_hahn, yes, I think that might trick the system to use RX580 as the main display. Another option is to disable internal graphics card from the device manager. If I look in my Device Manager, I don't have the internal graphics card meaning the UHD Graphics 630 iGPU is not listed as a display adapter.

Ignore my "Citrix Indirect Display Adapter", that is just a software for connecting via Citrix application.

ReplyQuote
(@luca_hahn)

@maijo_jacob oh yes! Might be a good idea too. I'm gonna try both.
Thanks man 

ReplyQuote
(@luca_hahn)

@maijo_jacob all right man it worked! By Simply sliding the display settings to the "Egpu screen". Windows was able to detect the "second monitor" and gave me the option to make it the main display. It was kind of hard fishing for that window without a second screen, but it's "doable". Excuse my french! Grin
Anyway thanks for the leads that was really helpfull. Cheers!

Ps: If the Community deems usefull that I make a thread of my set up too, I will gladly do it, except for that little problem of main display it's mainly inspired by @sdedalus1's build.

This post was modified 1 day ago

ReplyQuote
(@maijo_jacob)

@luca_hahn, Awesome. I am glad it worked out.

ReplyQuote