Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14....

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [ttamnogard]  

RSS

ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)
2018 Mac Mini – i7-8700B/UHD Graphics 630 iGPU/64GB RAM/2TB SSD
Included a SPEED mini fan stand...

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Tested with Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Vega 64... also an OEM AMD Radeon Vii (from AMD, not tuned)
Razer Core X
TB3 cable

Hardware pictures
Coming Soon

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

This took a little bit to get running.. I started with connecting an HDMI from the mac mini to the monitor to get everything set up and downloaded. I found that the TB3 connection closest to the USB A connections worked all the time (for some reason the right 2 didn't work as well as the left 2). Running 1903 fully updated but NOT the .329 update (it's listed as optional, do not install it!) Downloaded the AMD Adrenalin August. You will NEED to have your eGPU plugged in or the driver software will NOT detect the card and will not install it... did the install but left the HDMI cable connected so I could see what I was doing... when it went to reboot, I unplugged the HDMI and let it boot up with only the eGPU connected... and windows displays... since this is supported in both OS (I am not running 10.15 as of this posting), I was able to reboot into MacOS (using the bootcamp system tray) and it works, reboot back into windows no problem... 

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley, 3dmark, noting if it’s on internal/external LCD )

Forthcoming, I've never used these as I am more about getting it working as a measure of success... I'll check up on how to use this stuff

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)
Well, it improves everything because I can now maintain a good experience using FreeSync when in Windows. The SPEED cooling fan helps quite a bit in being able to game longer.... I would recommend capping your FPS at 240 to keep temps lower (yeah, it's cool to see 300-400 FPS on the display but your monitor can't handle it anyways). I would like to, when I can afford it, try to run a second eGPU but with an NVIDIA card (I've seen a @itsage posting trying different setups). Just need to track down a 2080 Ti to see if my FPS change or if I am hitting the TB3 bottleneck. 

This topic was modified 1 week ago

2019 MBP 9th i9 8C and a Vega Pro 20 running eGPU Razer Core X with Radeon vii
2018 Mac mini running Radeon vii

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ttamnogard Thank you for sharing this nice build! We’re looking forward to seeing the hardware photos. Regarding the behavior of the four Thunderbolt 3 ports, I believe all four should work with an eGPU. Detection of an active Thunderbolt connection is typically a challenge. When I first got the 2018 Mac mini I found the TB3 port #4 next to HDMI most friendly with Thunderbolt detection too. I didn’t really know why that was until I started using an USB-C monitor. The Mac mini firmware handles monitor output depending on which devices it finds during pre-boot. When the USB-C monitor was connected, I found the TB3 port next to it (shares same Thunderbolt 3 controller) always active and can be used through hot-plug. Here’s the Thunderbolt 3 Controllers and Port # arrangement in the 2018 Mac mini for reference.

This post was modified 1 week ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)

@itsage for me, port 4 works 100% of the time... port 3 i have a tb3 hub which routes everything... I use one of the usb-a to power the SPEED fan. I tried connected my hub to 1 or 2 (based on your sketch) and they did not work even on reboot.... I don't know if it is my hardware (this is a refurb 2018) or just the nature of the addressing from the home page build tutorial. I played around with what was in there but nothing changed. It may also be my new'ness to this process.

The FreeSync alienware 25" supports HDMI 2 and DP 1.4. I will be curious to see what systems can handle HDMI 2.1 when it hits... 4k120... though that dell OLED is pricey but looks.... nice.

I have a line on a second Core X. I haven't tried running 2 eGPU with 2 different GPU cards. I'll check your 2018 build, I thought you were running a mixed scenario.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ttamnogard If it works reliably for you, it’s all good. Multiple eGPUs work fine in macOS but won’t be easy in Windows Boot Camp. You’ll likely encounter error 12. 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
ttamnogard
(@ttamnogard)

I'm not a very good photographer... let me know what pictures you'd like to see....

back1
tb3 switch

This post was modified 7 days ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote