2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sapphire GearBox) + macOS 10.15...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sapphire GearBox) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 20150 // Oculus Link  

RSS

leela
(@leela)

System specs

2018 Mac Mini
3.2 GHz Six-Core Intel Core i7
32gb RAM (from OWC)
1 TB SSD

macOS 10.15.5
Win10 Insider Preview 20150
Oculus VR software

eGPU hardware 

Sapphire Gearbox + included TB3 cable
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700

VR hardware
Oculus Quest
PartyLink 5m TB3 cable for PC VR 

Installation steps 

Gearbox:
Updated the Gearbox firmware (in Windows) as detailed here - https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/h2d-bandwith-firmware-update-for-sapphire-gearbox-is-available-now - to address the H2D bandwidth issue. 

macOS:
Plug and play worked fine.

Windows (via Bootcamp):
Couldn't get the eGPU to appear in device Manager, despite installing Windows 1903 iso via Bootcamp (and upgrading it to OS Build 18362.295) and using the revised EFI Bootloader from @goalque - admittedly I almost certainly messed things up here, since I’m clueless about editing the config.plist file. 

The following Reddit post gave me a viable answer: https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/hpixmo/success_with_mac_mini_2020_and_razer_corex_with  (I see now though that this has been a topic of discussion for months now egpu.io). To paraphrase Redditor @dlittlefair1: 

Installed the current developer preview of Windows (Win10 Insider Preview 20150) via Bootcamp.

1. Booted into Windows, uninstalled the drivers with DDU.
  2. Plugged the eGPU into the port next to HDMI, switched it on, and installed the drivers from bootcampdrivers.com.
  3. Shut down, unplugged the HDMI cable from the Mac Mini and connected it to the eGPU.
  4. Switched on the Mac Mini and switched on the eGPU in quick succession.
  5. Success - the windows login screen appears, and the eGPU is running (and working well  with games and PC VR).

For Bootcamp VR enthusiasts - once the eGPU was recognised in Windows, it was just plug and play with the Oculus VR software + Quest + PartyLink cable. 

Comments

Currently the only way to get Quill (VR storytelling/animation) running on a Mac. The PC VR version of Tilt Brush (VR drawing) also works nicely.

This topic was modified 1 week ago
2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sapphire GearBox) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 20150 [build link]  

itsage, ikir and Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote