2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15....

Notifications
Clear all

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 1903 [itsage]  

of  6
  RSS

jdemois
(@jdemois)

@itsage, may be hold off. Just tried to boot into windows and at first windows wouldn't load the 5700 xt in the device manager (the efi & ddu both recognized it). I uninstalled drivers and reinstalled and am stuck with a code 43 when cold plugged and a code 12 when hot plugged. Any recommendations besides just trying different amd drivers?

I’m just gonna start over again. I can’t get this thing to not give a code 12 on hot plug or code 43 from cold...

so I’ve got it working part of the time. I’m fighting some kind of pci-to-pci bridge code 10 issues. Sometimes if I keep plugging and unplugging the Razer core x in different tb3 ports it’ll work, other times it’ll give me a code 12 for the Radeon 5700 xt. Any ideas?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jdemois, Are you using an EFI boot loader and is the LG 5K UltraFine always connected? Having more than one Thunderbolt devices in Windows may cause complications in getting the eGPU to work.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jdemois
(@jdemois)

@itsage, I am! The modified one you have linked above. And I'm not always booting with the lg 5k connected. I tested yesterday by connecting a monitor via the mac mini's hdmi port and got the same errors. 

After working with it all night, I tried replacing the 5700 xt with a 560 rx I had on hand. I got that to work within 30 minutes. It seems like 5700 xt drivers just won't cooperate for some reason. I may just return the 5700 xt and go for a vega 56 instead. 

Do you have any ideas for a possible fix? Or a suggestion for a reliable replacement?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

UPDATE: This only worked until rebooted.  Back to Code 12, unfortunately.

Windows would recognize the 5700XT, but with the triangle/Code 43 driver error if I remember correctly.

What did the trick for me was installing the newest alternative drivers - version 20.4.2 to finally get the 5700XT to work, instead of the 'recommended' default option.  I didn't even uninstall the previous driver.

It later failed after restarting cold-plugged (yellow triangle in the Device Manager), but unplugging/hot-plugging while in Windows worked right away.  All this with a Thundebolt 3 external HDD connected, no need to disconnect.

So, in case someone might find it helpful, here's the setup:

Mac Mini 2018 running Catalina 10.15.4

The modified apple_set_os loader installed per these instructions.

Sonnet eGFX 550 with Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT connected to TB Port 1 (next to the Ethernet port)

LG Ultrafine 5K Model 27MD5KL on Port 3

Bootcamp Windows 10, Build 1903 v1 Build 18362.30, Windows updates turned off, manually updated to Build 18362.295 using the stand-alone update file.

AMD stock driver Revision Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 Optional. Release date 23.04.2020

Cheers!

This post was modified 2 months ago

Mac mini (2018) / 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 / 64GB / 1TB + LG Ultrafine 5K + Sonnet eGFX 550
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, IMPOSSIBLE in Bootcamp Windows, no matter the version)
Sapphire Pulse__RX 580 8GB (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, WORKS cold-plugged after a shutdown on Windows 2004

ReplyQuote
stvnu
(@stvnu)

@muscovite, I'm running a similar build and finally have some things working.... I'm wondering what port you have your external HHD plugged into and if you are getting the full 5k from your ultrafine.

I have my Vega 64 connected to port 1 and ultrafine connected to port 3 but when I check resolution in windows I'm only getting 4k, not a huge issue as im finally glad its running again but wondering if you're seeing the same.

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

@stvnu, I was getting the full 5K.  Was.  Unfortunately, the whole thing broke down after two reboots, and I am again getting Code 12.  Restoring to the restore point (not that I changed anything) did not help.

The TB LaCie is/was connected to Port 2.

But it did work, so there is a way.

Browsing through the threads I came across some posts suggesting disabling other pcie 'resources' to give more room to the eGPU thus avoiding the Code 12 error.  I have no idea idea what I am talking about here, so if anyone could point me in the right direction...

Also, the original https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-efi-egpu-boot-manager-for-macos-and-windows/#post-45443  setup does not work anymore, as I understand since a recent Catalina f/w update, correct?

Thanks again.

Mac mini (2018) / 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 / 64GB / 1TB + LG Ultrafine 5K + Sonnet eGFX 550
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, IMPOSSIBLE in Bootcamp Windows, no matter the version)
Sapphire Pulse__RX 580 8GB (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, WORKS cold-plugged after a shutdown on Windows 2004

ReplyQuote
stvnu
(@stvnu)

@muscovite, Yeah I was thinking the same thing but before digging too deep there, I have a workable method to keep error 12 at bay at the cost of 1k or resolution.  My debugging steps were much less technical with allocation, I switched to wireless on anything I could, and disconnected all peripherals completely, so on boot I just have egpu port 1 and 5kUf on port 3.  After I login to windows I let it settle a bit then try adding additional items one at a time (physical troubleshooting :P). No error 12 for me that way. 

Yes only 4k out of 5, but when gaming on windows I scale down to 1440 anyway so I think this will have to do. Honestly just glad to be playing non osx compatible games again at all. 

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

@stvnu, lucky you! Today Windows just plain refused to display anything on the LG 5K with the egpu connected. Stuff happening, sounds when plugging/unplugging usb sticks, caps lock working, but just a black screen.

Thinking I screwed something up I killed and tried reinstalling bootcamp again. Same thing after the first reboot!

So now I can only get Windows to display anything at all if I boot with the egpu unplugged.  And when I hot-plug it, it gives the usual PCI error, and once it eventually recognizes it (after several attempts), it’s Code 12. This with everything else disconnected.

The automate-egpu routine, with catalina fixes etc, editing the config.plist, etc did not work at all.

About ready to say screw this and just get me an NVIDIA card.

ReplyQuote
jdemois
(@jdemois)

@muscovite, so i did some research on general windows issues with the 5700xt and it seems like AMD's drivers just aren't very good with their new chip architecture (navi??). I have things reliably working with a 580. I'm looking into trying out a vega 56.

ReplyQuote
stvnu
(@stvnu)

@muscovite, I have some time today to mess around with some things, first I tried just updating the intel graphics drivers to see if I could get a resolution bump that way considering they were 2 years out of date.  From the documentation on intel ark it seems like the res is capped at 4096x2304, strange because I recall seeing a 2880 version before I updated the apple os set loader. I might try a roll back there to see if that's the case, and if so then I think we found out part of the limitation.  Must be in the resource allocation part that messes with the magic that apple did to make 5k possible on these devices.

edit: after reverting back to the original EFI I can get the 2880 res up in spite of intel.  time to see what's going on in there... wish me luck.

I think with your issues, id really recommend starting with no peripherals at all to see if you can get it running, if I simply have my mouse plugged in to a USB A port before the windows password screen it start to get very upset, not to mention the fact that the thunderbolt ports on the back of the display must be empty.  If not I haven't been able to get it to show anything.  Ill let you know if I find anything else out. Good luck.

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
 of  6