2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15....

Notifications
Clear all

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 1903 [itsage]  

of  6
  RSS

Muscovite
(@muscovite)

Automate gpu on external usb stick with catalina fix - fail/Code 12.

Latest 2004 fast insider version - fail

Latest 2004 slow insider version - fail

1903 18362.30 (and .295) - fail, including:

1. replace pci.sys with the one from 1803 - fail

2. trying to boot with nothing connected (just ethernet and the display) - fail

3. Disabling 16x PCIe - fail

4. modified set_apple_os - fail

5. Trying all different l/r tb3 ports - fail

and it did so with just about every logical combination of the above.

it only worked once - with the modified set_apple_os and the new optional drivers from AMD - lasted a session, failed after a reboot, worked when hot-plugged, and after another reboot with no changes - fail.

I cannot boot into Win 1903 at all with the egpu connected without the set-apple-os fix. Actually, I can, windows does usb sounds, etx but with a black screen.

If I boot with the display off, i can’t hot plug the display later on.

And yes, the Intel iGPU does actually list 5120*2870 as the ‘recommended’ resolution.

In summary, I guess you’re right about the card itself - people are having all sorts of trouble with it on Windows 10 PC installs.

I’m calling it a day. A week, actually 🙁  Which is a shame, as the Mini is perfectly capable of handling both the Ultrafine 5K and the 5700XT at the same time, as seen in macOS.  I’m gonna have to wait for the next big Windows and/or AMD drivers release when they fix this mess.

PS As I was typing this Windows went to sleep. After waking up, the maximum resolution (and selection) changed to 3740x2160 ‘recommended).  Whatever that means.

This post was modified 7 months ago

Mac mini (2018) / 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 / 64GB / 1TB + LG Ultrafine 5K + Sonnet eGFX 550
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, IMPOSSIBLE in Bootcamp Windows, no matter the version)
Sapphire Pulse__RX 580 8GB (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, WORKS cold-plugged after a shutdown on Windows 2004

ReplyQuote
stvnu
(@stvnu)

@muscovite, I'm sorry its been a tough set of troubleshooting for you, I actually got it all working.  Basically followed the directions exactly as stated here in the guide with a few exceptions.  Some of them may not be needed but right now its working egpu and 5k! so I'm leaving it all as is. I was inspired a bit by the left right left dance from the thread where the instructions for the efi file were found and wanted to do some of that.

exceptions

I disabled BUS1 PCIE16x for the 10GB ethernet.  If I want that ill just have to use OSX. (this might not be necessary but leaving as is)

I have my egpu plugged into port 3 cold on boot and never remove it 5kUF on port 1. (I think this swap has something to do with the fact that port 1 is messed up after the 16x disable)

After windows is logged in and resolution is not 2880, I just unplug and wait for windows chimes, then replug in 5kUF display, Im guessing some sorta allocation magic follows and everything works?

Im not expert at all, ill leave that to the leaders in the community but I cant belive that after years of trying to get this working its here. Im going to to try to enjoy it now before the next set of updates bricks it up.

Best of luck. Sorry I cant help you more.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
jdemois
(@jdemois)

@stvnu, Congratulations man and enjoy that extra performance! 

@muscovite if you get it working let me know. Seems like we're running into the same issues.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

Hope dies (-d) last. Installed Win 1803 (eighteen oh three) - the bulletproof reddit solution. Exactly the same behavior as above. Black screen with windows running if cold-plugged, or - if hotplugged - not recognized at all (usb error) or Code 12 if recognized.

I am out of options now so I’ll just wait, then.

Good luck, guys.

PS Clutching at straws here, I ordered a bunch of cables (Moshi, choetech 0,8 and 2m) but I doubt it’ll make any difference - macos is plug and play, and I am using the 2m tb3 that came with the Ultrafine... but maybe more luck with dp -> tb3

Mac mini (2018) / 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 / 64GB / 1TB + LG Ultrafine 5K + Sonnet eGFX 550
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, IMPOSSIBLE in Bootcamp Windows, no matter the version)
Sapphire Pulse__RX 580 8GB (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, WORKS cold-plugged after a shutdown on Windows 2004

ReplyQuote
overshoot
(@overshoot)

Hello,

This setup is so confusing...

I have a MacMini 2018 with a Sonnet breakaway 550 and an MSI Radeon 5700 XT.

It works fine under macOS Catalina 10.15.4 however I can't get it to work under Windows 10.

I am using Windows version 1903 updated to 18362.295 and I have installed the modified bootx64.efi file on the EFI partition in /Boot/efi renaming the original one.

I have also created a "custom" folder under /boot/efi to put the apple_set_os.efi

What's confusing is where to plug the HDMI cable first (MacMini or eGPU) and what option to choose when the MacMini is loading Windows...

From experience, if I have the eGPU plugged in but the HDMI cable connected to the MacMini directly, I will always have the Radeon 5700 XT unusable under Windows (error code 12).

So that way is not working for me.

I am sometimes able to get the desktop on the eGPU but with the mouse cursor flashing constantly, unable to open any window from any application.

Only the AMD utility would open. The applications were running but no windows would appear on the desktop as if they were showing on a different screen.

And sometimes it will work just fine having only the eGPU detected in device managed, the Intel GPU not being present at all.

But I can't get the system to be stable, meaning having no surprise at boot.

I am wondering the Apple_set_os.efi is loaded everytime and I should add the startup.nsh script in the EFI folder or it is useless.

Can anyone recommend anything?
Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: It seems to be working almost regularly if I boot in blind (HDMI connected to the eGPU) and if I hit "z" at boot to disable the apple_set_os.efi

It is so confusing...

ReplyQuote
JadedAncient
(@jadedancient)

@overshoot,

I've found that having more than one video connection at a time in Windows is problematic. I recommend only having one input source to the monitor at one time, from the eGPU to the display.

For the initial Windows install and updating, the eGPU should not be connected or powered on. I have successfully set everything up a few times now by following the guides on this site. Do your bootcamp install, update things as necessary, stop your windows updates, manually update to .295, use DDU to clear out all AMD drivers and reboot, then go ahead and download the driver you need for your 5700 XT. After all this, shut everything down. Connect and power on your eGPU, and leave the HDMI cable connected from the Mac Mini to the display. On your next boot up use disk startup to select the EFI boot option. I have been using a thumb drive that I leave connected to my Core X Chroma, I did not set up a partition like you, so that part is unknown to me. Anyway, select the EFI boot and follow the prompts to boot into Windows. Now, I have had this not work on occasion. I have gotten the boot loop issue a couple times, and other times I reach the desktop only to find the eGPU connection is absent. What you eventually want to see though is a new Microsoft Display Adaptor in device manager. If you do not see this, reboot and try again. I have attempted to hot plug the eGPU instead of using EFI boot, and it has been very unreliable for me. Based on my experience I think with AMD GPU's you really need to successfully cold boot with EFI for the initial driver install. Once you see the device in device manager with no errors, start your GPU driver install. It seems to work best for me if I start the install, and then unplug the HDMI cable from the Mac Mini. I switch to the DisplayPort input on my monitor and just wait until the drivers install and it displays the "You've Successfully Installed Adrenalin" or whatever message AMD says. Once you've completed the driver install reboot the machine. After this I can freely cold boot and reboot into Windows or MacOS without EFI boot, it just works. 

Separately I would like to add that with the USB-C cable connected from my Razer Raptor to the Mac Mini, it did not work either. The Raptor supports Alternate Display Mode over that USB-C connection along with the USB Hub connection. Something about having that cable connected while running the eGPU Windows absolutely did not like, it would always show a second display connected and I had multiple issues like a lack of sleep function, hanging, freezing, crashing, etc. Only after switching to a USB-C to USB-A cable did that problem go away. I'm wondering if on these Ultrafine's you guys are using if that's another issue.

Mac Mini (2018/20) i7 8700B/32GB/1TB
Razer Core X Chroma
Radeon VII
Razer Raptor 27
Asus Arion USB-C NVME m.2 enclosure

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

@jdemois, I might be getting somewhere.

Installed the latest as of today Windows 10 Version 19631.1 ('fast ring'insider program build).  The Ultrafine 5K on Port 1, the Sonnet 550 with the 5700XT inside on Port 3.

Boot into Windows with the modified apple_set_os.efi

At this point the 5700xt is either recognized with Code 12 or not recognized at all, so I had to unplug/hot-plug - uninstall device

Use DDU to disable updates

Reboot, wait for Windows to install the generic VGA with the 'wrong driver' error

Install stock AMD drivers (I installed the Optional driver package but I don't think it matters)

Reboot as directed by the AMD driver installer

Booting into Windows I get a Code 43

Unplug/hot-plug back in

It now works, get the XConnect pop-up, etc.

Reboot to check if it'll survive

Code 12 all over again. Re-plugging after boot does not help.

Now at this point I uninstalled the PCI Bus from the device manager, having read someplace that it'll force Windows to reallocate resources at next boot.

Doing this actually reenabled all of the system devices I'd disabled more or less randomly trying to 'free more resources.'

Reboot

Code 43

Unplug/hot-plug - works, XConnect message, etc

Reboot and it's Code 12 all over.

My totally unscientific conclusion is that, at least with the latest Windows build, Windows does have enough resources or whatnot for all the 'heavy' stuff I have plugged in, including the 5700xt and the Ultrafine 5K, the external TB3 drive, etc, it just has trouble allocating it right.  Going nuclear removing the PCI Bus forces it to do it right.

Maybe someone that actually understands what's going on with all this resource allocation stuff can help make 'freeze' the existing setup and make this permanent.  The darn thing works, but won't survive another boot.

I have very little idea what's going on, but here's some screenshots that might be helpful.

Thanks

Annotation 2020 05 23 131054
Annotation 2020 05 23 131122
Annotation 2020 05 23 131149
Annotation 2020 05 23 131205
Superposition Benchmark v1.1 3835 1590173871

PS What does apple_set_os do, actually, that helps boot into Windows with the eGPU plugged in?

This post was modified 6 months ago

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@muscovite, this might sound crazy.. but.. have you tired booting blind? Set windows to auto login etc and just let it go with the egpu attached but not the 5k? You could then try and hot plug the monitor and see where you end up?

I never had much luck with apple_set_os with my 5K and Vega56 so always used the EFI Bootloader or rEFInd, not sure why people appear to be avoiding them atm, maybe its their T2 Macs?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

@eightarmedpet, Tried that.  Boot blind = stay blind.  Windows is running, caps lock, usb sounds, but no picture.  The same happens if I unplug the 5K and plug it back in while booted in Windows = no picture until restarted.

Works in macOS - unplug/plug back in, etc

EDIT: Will try with Autologin.  Does important stuff happen after you type in the pin?

This post was modified 6 months ago

ReplyQuote
dmwood
(@dmwood)

Couldn’t get it to work at all with fast ring versions of windows and boot camp drivers previously suggested.

Went back to basics and installed the known working version of windows from August 2019 (.295)

Disabled windows update.

Ran DDU to clear out any previous AMD drivers and stop windows for searching for driver updates.

Plugged in Core X Chroma to TB port 1 (contains MSI 5700xt Mech card)

Installed very latest 5700xt adrenaline drivers direct from AMD site. Card was detected successfully.

Rebooted and voila two monitors working in Windows without issue.

All working and I can reboot and switch to OSX and back without any problems now.

For me installing the .295 version  of Windows was the key to success.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  6