Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1903 [...

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1903 [Trinax]  

RSS

Trinax
(@trinax)

HI Guys and fellow gamer girls,

Yesterday all my products came in the mail and I was able to build the following:

PC setup

- Mac Mini 2018 (i7/32GB RAM/512GB SSD)
- Asus Strix Vega 64 8GB
- Razer Core X

Peripherals

• Iiyama GB2773HS-B1 144hz 1080p monitor
  • Iiyama B2483HS-B1 60hz 1080p monitor
  • Startech 40gbps 2 Meter Thunderbolt 3 cable
  • Apple USB keyboard with numeric keys
  • Logitech Gaming Mouse G500ish?

MacOS 10.14.6

First I installed macOS, installed the GPU in the enclosure en connected trough the TB3 cable, everything worked natively, no problems.

Windows 1903
Installed Windows trough bootcamp with an Windows 10 home 1903 iso from MS website. Plugged in the eGPU, I heard the Windows chime somethingwas connected but the disconnection chime was played upon that.

After some fiddling I downloaded the AMD drivers from te bootcampdrivers website and followed the DDU guide. For some reason, the Intel HD 630 did not get removed but after hot plugging the eGPU I could install the drivers and it was recognized, but with a code 12.

Rebooting did not work, switching the HDMI cable around from machine to eGPU did not work, It would bootloop and I would not get an image in the screen.

I had to do some other stuff yesterday so later I connected everything again, booted in MacOS with eGPU connected and then I figured to disable secure boot. I booted to Windows from within macOS (not reboot option key) and it booted straight into Windows with everything recognized!

I can now switch from Mac to Windows no problems.

Sidenote, when I reboot the machine and use the option key to chose partitions, I do not see anything on the screen, so I will just press enter or left > enter to boot in MacOS or another. For some reason the Bootcamp assistent in Windows disappeared. 

Benhmarking
In Furmark (Windows), a GPU stress tool it would get to 130 to 140 fps on 1080p, no problems. It will get hot in some minutes, it went to 76 degrees.

In Heaven (MacOS) @ extreme settings, I would get around 55 to 65 frames, seems good to me.
In the FF14 benchmark tool (Windows) @ Extreme/1080p it is doing really well, way above 60 frames a second. 

Followup
I am going to use this for gaming so I will post some frames/benchmark results later this week/next week. This setup is absolutely amazing.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

- Mac Mini 2018 (i7/32GB/512GB)
- Asus AMD Vega 64 8GB Strix
- Razer Core X
- MacOS 10.14.6 / Windows 10 1903

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Congrats on getting things working, I'm eyeing up something very similar, would love to see some set up pics and in game benchmarks...

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Trinax
(@trinax)

@eightarmedpet

Will do, this weekend i am going to try to push it to it’s limits ^^

- Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@trinax look forward to that! If you play PUBG I'd love to know what FPS you get in that... and if you have any issues with thermals. Do you use any monitoring software such as Afterburner so see CPU and GPU usage?

---

ReplyQuote
Trinax
(@trinax)

@eightarmedpet

I will install the game to test it out, never played it though. I haven’t installed monitoring tools but i will do. Is afterburner something that works good? I have no experience in this.

- Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@trinax its all a bit over my head im afraid, a pal installed it on my set up via teamspeak and we found out that although my CPU was maxed (100%) my GPU was only hitting 50% due to bottlenecking, hence my interest in upgrading to a Mac mini with more CPU power.

You'll love PUBG, hours of fun...

---

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@trinax Nice build and I’m glad to hear you’re able to switch OS without the Boot Screen. 10.15 Catalina makes changes to the 2018 Mac mini firmware to provide Boot Screen support through the eGPU. That will make the OS switching process much nicer.

You don’t need to use modified Radeon drivers from bootcampdrivers.com on the Mac mini because it doesn’t have an AMD dGPU. Using stock Radeon drivers is better in your setup due to more frequent updates. For extended period use, the Mac mini is more likely to overheat/throttle than the eGPU. Take a look at this 2018 Mac mini cooling solutions discussion for some ideas.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Trinax
(@trinax)

@itsage

true, the Mac mini gets hot and I have seen the posts about it, very interesting! It stayed below 85 degrees though during my Witcher 3 play just now. 
BTW everything ran on Ultra + hariworks + postprocessing @ ultra running 1080p monitor without a sweat.

btw, I could not get the eGPU working with the normal drivers, it would not detect the eGPU/GPU for some reason, that is why I tried the DDU thing, I doubt it did anything though.

This post was modified 3 months ago

- Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Trinax
(@trinax)

@eightarmedpet

I have not been playing PUGB yet, but i played Overwatch on Epic settings 1080p and it runs between 85 to 120 fps in pure chaos battles, so that works really good!
the GPU is making a lot of noises though, fans kik in really loud. But i have my headset which makes it decent, not perfect, but managable.

- Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
nlp
 nlp
(@nlp)

@trinax

I was planning to build a rig like yours, but it seems for some people that Catalina breaks some bootcamp functionality with eGPU.

Have you tried it?

thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote