2018 Mac Mini
3.2 GHz Six-Core Intel Core i7
64 GB Ram
256 TB internal SSD
macOS Big Sur 11.6
None, natively supported by MacOS 11.6
Connected TB3 cable to TB3 port next to Ethernet port on mini
I fiddled with this for about a week. I read some posts that said the 2018 Mac mini is super easy and I followed those guides to a T. Nothing worked until I disabled the PCIe x 16 in device manager. Steps I took are below. I'm confident even the newest version of windows will work with this setup with disabling PCIe x 16.
1. Installed Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (newest version as of 11/24/21 via bootcamp onto internal ssd with 60gb's of storage allocated.
2. Installed all bootcamp drivers while connected to monitor via HDMI.
3. During this whole process eGPU was connected but turned off. Make sure all other drives are disconnected until you e finished this guide.
4. Computer will download a bunch of stuff and ask for a restart. Once restarted, create a restore point and disable automatic windows updates.
5. At the windows login screen turn on egpu but remain connected via HDMI. Once logged in, verify the egpu is connected via device manager.
6. Let windows download drivers for the 5700xt.
7. You can skip the DDU stage.
8. Download official radeon drivers for this card and make sure to check the box that says something about doing a clean AMD driver install.
9. Install drivers. It will ask for a restart. When computer is powered down for a couple seconds in-between restarting and starting back up, turn eGPU off.
10. At windows login, turn eGPU back on and leave it on and connected for the remainder of this process.
11. AMD drivers should resume installing. If not, restart at step 9.
12. Once AMD drivers resume installing, it will likely give you an error message. That's ok. At this stage I also installed the HackFlags mod but don’t restart just yet.
13. Go into device manager, find your intel gpu, right click and disable it.
14. Look for the pcie x 16 controller inside device manager. Rick click and disable it.
15. Restart, but before it restarts unplug the HDMI cable but do nothing to the eGPU...leave it on and connected.
16. When it powers back up, you should see the windows login screen within a minute as the mini is now sending the signal to the eGPU and your monitor will automatically switch to the active input.
I then plug in all external drives at this point. I can easily go back and forth to windows/macOS without any trouble or weird steps.
Diablo 2 Resurrected runs a pretty stable 60fps on medium settings at 1440p. Battlefield 2042 runs at 60fps at 1440p on low settings (still gorgeous). BF isn’t well optimized as even nvidia 3080 setups get bogged down.