Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.6 & ...

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [nonjo]  

RSS

nonjo
(@nonjo)

• HP 24f over HDMI

eGPU hardware:

Installation:

Installation on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 was painless; I plugged in the Razer with the XFX RX 580 card (both off the shelf from Best Buy) and everything worked out of the box. I didn't initially plug the display into the Razer, so my first foray into Fortnite was disappointing, but I realized my mistake quickly.

Windows 10 was a bit trickier; I did not install any of the kexts recommended here. What proved crucial was connecting the Thunderbolt cable to the left-most Thunderbolt port (the one right next to the Ethernet port), and then rebooting into Windows. macOS didn't seem to care about which port the eGPU was plugged into, but with Windows, it makes all the difference. 

Comments

Despite the card working to drive the display upon subsequent reboots without issue, I do get some spontaneous reboots and I'm not sure why. (I just use the Boot Camp partition and Windows installation to play PUBG, which looks fantastic.) I have run into full GUI freezes followed by what appears to be a reboot (keyboard LEDs go blank and the display reports no signal), followed by a return to the login screen. Everything seems fine but I did have to reinstall PUBG (Steam reported that it wasn't installed despite there being a folder with 30 GB of data in the Steam library).

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Be super interested to hear your PUBG FPS and settings... currently pretending up weighing up upgrading my MacBook to a mini when in reality it’s a done deal and I’m just waiting on some benchmarks for affirmation.

Oh also which version of Windows did you install?

This post was modified 3 months ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
nonjo
(@nonjo)

@eightarmedpet

I could get some benchmarks for you but I'm not familiar with doing so... like frames per second? I can tell you it's smooth and far more playable than fortnite in macOS.

@eightarmedpet

I used an iso from Microsoft and installed Home. I didn't activate it yet because I'm waiting to see if this rig is worth the license investment. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@nonjo I assume you’re using steam? There’s a built in Frames per second counter in settings somewhere, give that a bash and see what it says during gaming sessions. 

I wouldnt bother buting a windows license if like me you are only using it 5 or so % of the time to game. Just keep using the trial.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
Naced
(@naced)

@nonjo

Have you test fortnite on windows finally ? 😉

ReplyQuote
nonjo
(@nonjo)

@eightarmedpet

I just booted into Windows and played a game. It's hard to watch the FPS counter will all the action but I was at a low of 56, highs in the low 80s, average performance ranging from 66 to 70 I would say. Terribly unscientific but there you go. Smooth as can be throughout. LMK if you want any other info.

@naced

no, I installed that on the Mac side before I set up the Boot Camp partition. Now that you mention it, though, maybe I should delete the Mac install, expand the Boot Camp partition, and install it on the Windows side. 

Here's a screen shop (lower right corner shows fps)

2019 08 18

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
elude
(@elude)

@nonjo

Nice build, I am looking into something very similar exclusively for Pub G. 

What resolution are you running Pub G on?
What is screen size?

Thanks, 
Elliot

ReplyQuote