Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX [email protected] (Zotac AMP Box Mini) + macOS 10.14...

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX [email protected] (Zotac AMP Box Mini) + macOS 10.14.5 [steve4332]  

RSS

steve4332
(@steve4332)

System specs:

Apple Mac Mini 2018 i5, 32Gb
Zotac Amp Box Mini 230W version
Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Mini ITX 4Gb + customized cooling solution

Installation instructions

1) Remove the Sapphire RX 570 fan+shroud assembly (4 screws must be unscrewed in the back of the card).
2) Attach a 14cm fan on top of the heatsink. Connect it to the GPU using a GPU-CPU PWM fan adapter.
3) Install the modded Sapphire RX 570 Mini ITX in the Zotac Box.
4) Connect & enjoy - plug and play in MacOS.

Comments/overview

My goal was supplement my Mac Mini with an inexpensive, silent eGPU. Power delivery wasn't a requirement as it is not needed for the Mini. I have a gaming PC with a proper RTX card, so I only wanted a reasonable but not overly powerful GPU which will drive my 4K display better than the Mini's UHD 630. I went with the Zotac Box Mini because it was the most affordable, fanless (therefore silent) eGPU case I could find. I installed a Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Mini card in it since this was the fastest card available that fits both the form factor and the power limit of the Zotac box and is compatible with MacOS.

The Sapphire Radeon RX 570 ITX is a nice card (especially considering it's price) but turned out to be a minor disappointment. The card is supposed to be able opreate in fanless mode, but the heatsink is obviously not up to the task. The temperature slowly rises to 55C even with modest desktop usage, then the fan kicks in and remains on until the temperature drops to 45C. This the whole warming + cooling process just repeats endlessly. The card has a small fan, and its lowest setting of 37% PWM spins it up to 1300+ RPM creating an irritating noise every 2-4 minutes.

My solution was to strip the card from its shroud+fan assembly, install a silent 14cm PWM fan on top of the heatsink and connect it to the GPU's PWM header (using a VGA fan adapter like this). A slim 14cm fan nicely fits the case. I used zipties to fix the fan to the card's heatsink.

The resulting setup is now perfect for my needs. Small, completely silent, inexpensive. A rough equivalent of the Breakawy Puck RX 570 but for half the price. The Zotac Box Mini is somewhat larger than the Puck and has no Power Delivery, but on the positive side, it is upgradeable. the Puck retails for EUR 600 (in my area), but my setup costed approximately EUR 300.

Benchmarks

IMG 0005
Screen Shot 2019 05 26 at 11.28.17
Screen Shot 2019 05 26 at 10.59.53
Screen Shot 2019 05 26 at 10.28.37

Hardware pictures

IMG 0459
IMG 0458
IMG 0405
IMG 0400
IMG 0397
IMG 0393
IMG 0391
IMG 0389
IMG 0387
IMG 0386
IMG 0384
IMG 0382
IMG 0381
IMG 0380
IMG 0377

This topic was modified 1 month ago

Apple Mac Mini 2018 + Zotac AMP Box Mini + Sapphire RX 570 ITX

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@steve4332 Thank you for sharing this build. Very nice work fitting the 140mm cooling fan! I use the RX 580 out of the Gigabyte Gaming Box (130mm fan) and it's quiet. Your custom cooling should be silent by comparison. We'd love to see a side-by-side with the Mac mini. Perhaps custom cooling for the Mac mini is next. 😀 

This post was modified 2 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

109 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Nice to see more pics of the Zotac mini box... also love the GPU mod - I've often considered whether the shrouds are really needed in eGPU's, might look into running my Vega shroud less as it should help with cooling a bit (not sure if that's even possible).

As @itsage said, would love to see some side by side / full set up shots, although it might tip me over the edge of buying one of these....

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
steve4332
(@steve4332)

Here are some additional photos for size comparison to the Mac Mini. I think astethics-wise the two units don't go very well together, so I keep the Zotac Mini hidden away under my desk... The Zotac Mini is obviously not so mini compared to the Mac Mini. 🙂

IMG 0421
IMG 0413
IMG 0412
IMG 0411

As you might see, there is a blue smear behind the Zotac box on the wall. It is caused by the light of two rather bright blue internal indicator LED-s soldered to the Zotac Mini's motherboard leaking through the vent holes. At night it can be a nice wallpaper effect or annoyance (depending on what level of darkness one might prefer). I did some close ups of the green and red LED in the front (red is the off state, green is the on state) and the blue LEDs leaking through the vent. During standby only the green LED remains on, the blue LEDs turn off, so if you have your system in your bedroom it will not cause any annoyance.

IMG 0414
IMG 0415
IMG 0416

Finally, here are some screenshots - to show how the unit shows up at System Preferences. Also a printout of the fan speed at the default 37% PWM fan level using the Arctic P14 fan (this is when the cooling kicks in during normal desktop usage when the GPU temp reaches 55C - the fan turns off completely after the temperatures go below 45C). The fan cannot be controlled under MacOS, but I tried removing the fan altogether - the temperature then just keeps increasing to a dangerously high 80-85C even showing a completely blank screen without any movement, both the GPU and memory at the lowest speed step - this means that the Sapphire RX 570 ITX cannot work at all in passive mode without the fan kicking in periodically at normal room temperature.

The fan spins at 680-690 RPM which is impercetible even if I put my ear next to the unit at night. The original fans have an audible kick-in sound, but luckily the Arctic fan spins up absolutely gracefully without any audible noise whatsoever.

Screen Shot 2019 05 29 at 16.41.56
Screen Shot 2019 05 29 at 16.41.14
Screen Shot 2019 05 29 at 16.40.56
Screen Shot 2019 05 29 at 16.40.43
Screen Shot 2019 05 29 at 16.39.52

ps. in order to claim my AMD rewards for purchasing the RX 570 I had to run the AMD product verification tool which works under Windows only. Therefore I had to attach the eGPU unit to my Windows PC (which is also thunderbolt equipped thanks to the ASRock Phantom Gaming ITX motherboard). I did not experience any issues, after I installed the Intel Thunderbolt software downloaded from ASRock and the Radeon drivers, everything went smoothly (Windows 10 ver 1903). I didn't experiment with it much however, since the PC has an RTX2070 card which is more powerful obviously.

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
steve4332
(@steve4332)

This is the mobo:

Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac

It's a really decent board, packed with features. But it's Thunderbolt is PCIe x2 only (Intel JHL6240), which limits its speed. 🙁

ReplyQuote