2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB3>TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10....

Notifications
Clear all

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB3>TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 1903 [sdedalus1] // Win10 on external SSD  

of  2
  RSS

Luca Hahn
(@luca_hahn)

@, Hey! After restarting with apple_set_os and plug in the egpu at the right time i finally got it right the card was detected and the driver is installed!

a huuuuge thx to you!!

Mac Mini 2018 Intel core i5 -8500B CPU @ 3Ghz / Intel graphic 630 UHD/ Razer Core X/ Pulse Sapphire Radeon RX580/ Mac os 1.14.6/ Bootcamp Windows 1903 on internal SSD 500Go

ReplyQuote
urzh
 urzh
(@urzh)

Hi,

So many different threads going around about this. Found this one and seems to be on my track but need help. Summary:

Mac Mini 2018 (macOS Catalina 10.15.4)

Boot Camp partition with Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.720) (I installed the latest Version of Windows with Security Updates as of a few days ago)

eGPU w/ Radeon FX 580 (OWC Helios FX 650)

I haven't done anything outlined on the forums here yet. I am at the point when I boot into BootCamp (Windows), I installed the latest Adrenalin drivers from AMD's website. I see the eGPU in Windows Device Manager with yellow exclamation point. When I open the properties, I see the Code 12 error. If I reboot to BootCamp with eGPU plugged in, I get the windows logo flickering and reboot. I tried fix A above, doesn't work on my setup.

Can someone tell me the exact steps I should try to get the eGPU workin in boot camp at this point? Would like to create a guide after to show success with this setup.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Price Fox
(@price_fox)

Posted by: @sdedalus1

Installation steps (pre-firmware update):

MacOS: plug and play. I was expecting to need Purge Wrangler but was happily suprised that MacOS sees the TB3 adapter as a regular TB3 eGPU and loads AMD drivers automatically. Ah, the good life, I miss it already!

Posted by: @sdedalus1

Installation steps (post-firmware update):

MacOS: Booting with eGPU plugged in results in black screen. Work-around: Boot with HDMI plugged directly to monitor, hot plug eGPU after booted to desktop. You can then disconnect HDMI if you wish.

@sdedalus1,

Thanks for your insights! Regarding the two quotes above:

I've taken from your insights, that in MacOS, an AMD card is somehow auto-detected.

I wanted to build a Thunder 3 with a MSI Radeon RX 560 4GB ITX for my MBP 13" (Early 2015) with TB2 ports running Catalina 10.15.4, using the eGPU for gamin in Windows (set up as a virtual machine with Parallels 13).

Will the somewhat auto-detection in MacOS (with plugging HDMI in and out after the firm-ware update, as you described it) also work, when I am connecting the Thunder 3 with RX 560 to my MBP via it's TB 2 ports, using Apple's TB3-to-TB2-connector in Catalina?

Both the Thunder2 and Thunder3 seem to have the TI82 controller, so regarding this, there would be no difference between the boxes.

What macOS are you using now? Is it still working?

Thanks in advance! Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
sdedalus1
(@sdedalus1)
Trusted Member

@price_fox, No, macOS does not support automatic egpu detection over TB2. I used purge-wrangler to enable egpu over TB2 when connecting to a 13" MBP (2014) and it worked well (in some ways easier than the Mini black screen issue). I also used automate-egpu script on a 13" MBA (2013) before that, which worked too. Search for 13" MBP (2015) builds first, but since it doesn't have a dgpu, it shouldn't be too much trouble.

I'm still on Mojave and everything still works as in the original post. The Mini black screen isn't fixed in Catalina yet, and I have no reason to move to the newer OS until they fix all the bugs . . . 

p.s., I just saw the bit about Parallels. I don't think virtualization is recommended for gaming--does it even support the egpu? I would create a bootcamp partition instead, either on an internal or external disk.

This post was modified 1 year ago

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 1903 // Win10 on external SSD [build link]

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

Price Fox liked
ReplyQuote
sdedalus1
(@sdedalus1)
Trusted Member

@urzh, Hopefully you've seen the big banner across the top of the forums by now, but here it is if you haven't:

Downgrade to Win10 18362.295 if see eGPU error code 12 after a Win10 update to 1903/1909 as explained

You need an earlier version of Windows before they broke egpus. I'll be sure to add that to the original post.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 1903 // Win10 on external SSD [build link]

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2