2018 13" MacBook Air + [email protected] (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.14 [JediTreasley]  

RSS

JediTreasley
(@jeditreasley)
November 7, 2018 9:55 pm  

Wanted to let everyone know I’m awaiting both my new MacBook Air and Gigabyte Gaming Box w/ RX 580.  Should be here in the next 2 days.  I bought primarily for Swift coding, and a portable machine.  But as I dabble in light games and my wife loves the Sims 4 religiously - I thought I’d beef it up a little when it’s plugged in at home.  Not expecting anything close to what any of my home made Builds can produce but I thought it’d be fun to dabble.  

Let me know if there’s anything specific you’d like to see, and if I have it I’ll run it.  As of right now I’ll run some benchmarks as well as some gameplay scenarios for Sims 4, WoW, PUBG, Forza Horizon 4.

2018 MacBook Air + [email protected] (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.14 [JediTreasley]

System specs:  2018 MacBook Air, i5-8210Y, Intel HD 617, 16gb Ram, 256 SSD, macOS

eGPU hardware:  Gigabyte Auros Gaming Box w/ RX 580

— Stay Tuned—

Hardware pictures

Installation steps

Benchmarks 

Comments

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
November 8, 2018 1:58 pm  

I see you've got it planned, but defo PUBG please.
My Vega 56 doesnt fit my Core so I now have 2 choices... hack it in or sell and get a 580, my 570 is too weak for my liking.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
errantPixel
(@errantpixel)
November 11, 2018 8:49 pm  

I’d love to see some DOTA 2 results out of that combination, if you’re able!

Definitely interested in the 2018 MBA as a replacement for my 2011 MBP for much the same purposes as you described. I use a lot of vector editing programs for work, and light video editing is also a more occasional part of my workflow. For my “home” laptop I’d prefer to have portability over raw power, though, if I can just dock it to an eGPU when I need to work from home (or play DOTA  🙂 ).

I’m considering the Mantiz Venus enclosure and either the RX580 or a Vega 56—The extra USB-A ports and internal drive mount of the Venus are worth the price over the Auros for me, but I’m wondering if the MBA’s CPU would end up end up being a bottleneck on any real-world gains from the Vega vs the RX580?

Anyway, I’ll be rooting for you to get some great results out of that combo, look forward to seeing the results. 🙂

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 12, 2018 8:12 pm  

@jeditreasley Keep in mind a Mac can not run macOS versions prior to the one it came with from the factory. All late 2018 Macs have 10.14 and therefore no way to install 10.13.6 on them.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
JediTreasley
(@jeditreasley)
November 12, 2018 9:48 pm  

@theitsage It was a error in the title.   

Just to give an update, the RX580 gaming box was defective, so I am awaiting it's return and still deciding on an option.  I am split between a 56 and a 64, and a Mantiz, Sonnet, and Razer Core X.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 12, 2018 9:54 pm  

No worries. The RX Vega 56 is the best value imo. I got a reference card and flashed it with Vega 64 vBIOS. It's also easy on the PSU so you can go with almost all eGPU enclosure choices.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

82 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
(@mrgaolei)
November 13, 2018 2:47 am  

I'm using 2018 MBA and Vega 64 via Razer CoreX.

MacOS all things goes fine, I can play StarCraft II with 4K.

But Windows 10 can not find eGPU, I don't know why, so I can't play PUBG now.

ReplyQuote
(@the_archivalist)
November 13, 2018 7:19 am  

Windows 10 won't even see the eGPU under display adapters in device manager?
There is a way to manually set GpuPreference number values through registry for the Windows 10 (GPU preference per app) but it won't help you if it can't detect the hardware at all. It has to know the GPU is there, or the preference does nothing.

ReplyQuote
JediTreasley
(@jeditreasley)
November 14, 2018 1:13 am  
Posted by: theitsage

No worries. The RX Vega 56 is the best value imo. I got a reference card and flashed it with Vega 64 vBIOS. It's also easy on the PSU so you can go with almost all eGPU enclosure choices.

Oh wow, I wasn't aware you could flash a 64 bios onto the 56.  How's performance and such?  I haven't done this since the Nvidia 2xx days lol.

Right now I'm looking at the Red Devil 64, its a monster in size though..what would be the best egpu for that puppy?

Also one more question.  Without doing much research I pulled the trigger on a 1070 Ti for a Razer Core X...but then realized maybe an nvidia card isn't best for what I have right now..2018 MacBook Air on 10.14.  But I can't return it without a restocking fee.  and I'm not sure I want to as I spent 240$ in dell rewards on it 🙂 with a military discount lol.

ReplyQuote
JediTreasley
(@jeditreasley)
November 14, 2018 1:16 am  
Posted by: 二臂齐摇呼呼挂风

I'm using 2018 MBA and Vega 64 via Razer CoreX.

MacOS all things goes fine, I can play StarCraft II with 4K.

But Windows 10 can not find eGPU, I don't know why, so I can't play PUBG now.

Very nice, and also sad.  I'm loving the MBA, it runs Sims 4 and SC2 for my wife actually pretty well. Really hoping to figure out what I'm going to do...get a Vega 64 or keep the 1070 Ti and deal with the unofficial-ness.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 14, 2018 1:19 am  
Posted by: theitsage

In my case, The Vega 64 new (wanted warranty) was cheaper than a 56 new (lol) with that AMD 3-game bundle. But yes, power is an issue with the GPU if not undervolted in macOS. At one point the GPU was consuming 563W - yes, 563 in macOS - too much for an 80+ Corsair SF 600. In Windows with the available undervolting mechanisms I am overclocked plus at peak 210W.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
JediTreasley
(@jeditreasley)
November 14, 2018 1:26 am  

@mac_editor is this a normal case? that's absolutely crazy in terms of power consumption.  That's as much as the old dual 390 cards were doing.  Maybe I should look at a 56 or at another 580?  I just feel the 580 is weak, especially since I'll be using it with the internal MBA screen.  Wonder if Apple will make Nvidia official anytime soon.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 14, 2018 1:29 am  

@jeditreasley Vega 64 is known to have spikes in power consumption (so called peak currents). Undervolting should resolve this entirely, and reduce the impact of peak currents.

IMO an RX480 has better power consumption than a 580 (latter guzzled more for measly performance improvements, having had both for a time). I am currently selling the 480 on this forum if interested. Undervolt the 480, and at 80W one would have a fantastic performer, though this GPU doesn't need it. Though I agree overall a mid-range card, it's good for the price.

Otherwise a good balance for you would be Vega 56.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
JediTreasley
(@jeditreasley)
November 14, 2018 1:57 am  

Someone is willing to give me $150 plus his liquid cooled r9 390x for my new 1070 ti, not entirely sure how good of a deal this is or if the R9 390x will be plug and play like the Auros 580 box I had was.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 14, 2018 3:53 am  

@jeditreasley R9 series are not officially supported in macOS, will require community support (purge-wrangler.sh or EFI).

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
JediTreasley
(@jeditreasley)
November 14, 2018 3:55 am  

How hard would it be to get the 1070 Ti working on 10.14?  Otherwise I could also get a 580 for $120 locally.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 14, 2018 3:58 am  

@jeditreasley It should work once web drivers are out.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote